black and white tv out

beserker15

Jun 24, 2003
Not sure why, but my laptop using nvidia 6150go with svideo out using an svideo-rca adapter only shows up as black and white on my tv. I've messed with pal/ntsc settings and that doesn't affect anything. If I set it to composite out, then it flickers for a moment showing color, but then stops displaying. If I set it to svideo, then it displays black and white. Does anyone have a simple fix to this?

ethebubbeth

Golden Member
May 2, 2003
Sounds like you are getting the luminance side of the s-video cable, but none of the gamma...

I have had issues with an s-video adaptor going bad. It had a loose connection and would show video for a fraction of a second, then cut out.

Perhaps try another svideo -> composite adaptor or try switching out some of the cables.

beserker15

Jun 24, 2003
I dunno, same issue seems to happen on my older computer with a gf4 ti4200 as well. To fix it then, I'd have to test and install several driver versions to get it to work. Unfortunately, the 6150 is still relatively new, so only the newer drivers work with it. It still doesn't make sense why changing the signal to composite gets it to show color for a split second each time, yet s-video makes it black and white completely.

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
replace the cable!

i once accidentally bent some pins on a Svideo cable, fixed them .... then months later i used the cable and everything was BandW