Bishop Willard Mitt Romney

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Does that bother anyone else? Having a bishop or former bishop of a "church" that believes in magic underpants, postmortem baptism and a planet Kolob?

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2007
Every religion has stories in it that sound weird or downright crazy to people who aren't followers of that faith. As long as someone can separate their faith from their policy decisions, it really shouldn't matter what someone believes. There are plenty of reasons to not like Romney that have nothing to do with Mormonism.

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
Every religion has stories in it that sound weird or downright crazy to people who aren't followers of that faith. As long as someone can separate their faith from their policy decisions, it really shouldn't matter what someone believes. There are plenty of reasons to not like Romney that have nothing to do with Mormonism.

This. I'm not really sure how the underpants are that much weirder than a tallit, the postmortum baptism any stranger than transubstantiation, and Kolob any less believable than the Catholic view of the Holy Trinity.

I only care about what his policies are, not his religion.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Worse, but the holy trinity and virgin birth are pretty wacky too.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It bothers me because I know nothing about Mormonism other than Romney claims to be a good one and is also a pathological liar. So his religion is either totally useless in it's spiritual effect or pathological lying is a tenant of the faith.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
It bothers me because I know nothing about Mormonism other than Romney claims to be a good one and is also a pathological liar. So his religion is either totally useless in it's spiritual effect or pathological lying is a tenant of the faith.
I don't believe Mr. Romney is a pathological liar. I think he just inhabits a very flexible reality.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
unless they have a demonstrated history of trying to turn their personal faith into public law... no, I don't think religion should be a disqualifier for public office.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
This. I'm not really sure how the underpants are that much weirder than a tallit...

The tallit has no power, it is simply there to remind Jews to follow the Torah. Each time you see one, you say "oh yeah, have to remember to follow the Torah".

In such a way, it is no different than tying a string around your finger.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
All religions have their issues. I know one that has this guy walking around ontop of water and having his own personal magic wine factory. I think they sell them on the Home Shopping Channel too. Five easy payments.

Then another that has like 73 naked hot pre-teen women waiting spread eagle for the arriving stud, even though that stud only has a 2 inch weenie.

So magic underpants really doesnt sound that far out. Actually...

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
The religious right will vote for him over a muslim.

Odd isn't it? Religious people will vote for someone from a religion which has no problem with their religion over someone froma religion which says they are polytheists and must die.

:rolleyes:

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
It bothers me because I know nothing about Mormonism other than Romney claims to be a good one and is also a pathological liar. So his religion is either totally useless in it's spiritual effect or pathological lying is a tenet of the faith.
fixed

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
I am actually very impressed with Romney's religious faith, and I say this as a sometimes asshole atheist.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

I agree, but the fact that he's a Mormon is just icing on the cake...and is enough by itself to disqualify him for me, regardless of any other factor.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Mormonism is definitely exotic, but Scientology is much, much weirder.

Tom Cruise will, should he ever run for president, have some explaining to do.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
In LDS speak all Mormon men are priests. The man in the role of pastor (leading a single congregation) is called a bishop. Romney's highest role in the LDS church was more akin to a Catholic or Episcopal bishop though the Mormon Stake he presided over was smaller than most modern Catholic dioceses.