Birds and Reptiles are the same thing?

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
I'd sure many of you have heard the idea that birds evolved from dinosaurs, but I was just thinking that the same can be said about birds and reptiles today.

You know the expression "tastes just like chicken"? Well, there's a lot of truth to it when people are eating a lizard, frog, snake, turtle, alligator, etc.

Think about it... A chicken lays eggs, and so do all(most?) reptiles. A chicken has scaly feet, and all(most?) reptiles are scaly. Have you ever looked at a chickens eyes, and the way it "acts"? There's something very reptile like about it. Very lizard like.

I mean... Even if you look at folk tales, lore, fables, mythology, etc... A cockatrice is a cross between a chicken and a lizard.(a basilisk?) I think there's a good reason why such a creature exists in mythology. These things.. They don't just come out of nowhere.

Yes, indeed, there are some very significant differences as well, such as cold blooded/vs warm blooded. but that's just nature's adaptation. I think the similarities, outweigh the differences.

PS: I wonder if anyone out there has ever tried making an omelet out of a mix of turtle and chicken eggs... just a thought.

Last edited:

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
reptiles are not dinosaurs. Reptiles gave rise to the dinosaurs and they in turn gave rise to birds.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Fair enough. But the connection is still there, isn't it?

Yes. But if only there was this whole field, maybe called Biology, that has spent generations determining all of these crazy and interesting lineages. :D

...it really is kinda cool.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
So reptiles are older than Dinosaurs? Did Mammals come from reptiles?

dinosaurs are/were reptiles-ish. modern birds are basically dinosaurs. mammals evolved from some other critter, way back when, that far enough before that, eventually shared some common ancestor(s) with all of the later reptiles.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Why isn't there a "WTF! I'm backing away!" forum reaction thing?

image.gif

Also:

giphy.gif

Reactions: WelshBloke

NotAFormerMember

May 10, 2019
dinosaurs are/were reptiles-ish. modern birds are basically dinosaurs. mammals evolved from some other critter, way back when, that far enough before that, eventually shared some common ancestor(s) with all of the later reptiles.

Its very fascinating stuff. Biodiversity is so important. Would have been interesting to see which life form would have become
dominant if Humans didn’t take over

Reactions: ibex333

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Its very fascinating stuff. Biodiversity is so important. Would have been interesting to see which life form would have become
dominant if Humans didn’t take over
I'm guessing either birds (specifically crows) or octopi, they've both shown a penchant for tool usage.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Are bird eggs endothermic or exothermic? Does one get more energy from eating an egg just after it is laid or is it better to wait until the bird develops in the egg?

Reactions: ibex333