Bird owners: How do I shut this lovebird up

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Sorry, my hand slipped and hit enter.

Anyway, I live with my cousin and his gf. She has this pain in the ass lovebird. It *constantly* makes noises. Loud noises. Chirping, freaking out, I think it's on acid.

Don't get me wrong, if I could I would have gotten rid of it by now. I need a non-lethal approach.

Could I get it a mirror or something? Do they make bird mood pills to calm it down?

If you dare gaze straight into the eyes of evil...
More pure evil...

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
non-lethal eh? well i was going to suggest some butter over high heat for a few minutes.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy
non-lethal eh? well i was going to suggest some butter over high heat for a few minutes.
Oh, I'd kill it if I could. I'd make a day out of it.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
We had a cockatiel for years and the only thing that worked, other than my brother throwing coins at it, was to cover its cage with a cloth.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Skoorb
We had a cockatiel for years and the only thing that worked, other than my brother throwing coins at it, was to cover its cage with a cloth.

Birds aren't smart, make it night time and it will think it's time to sleep. Night-time is defined by darkness. Just keep in mind you sleep it during the day and it may decide it's not tired at night.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: rahvin
Originally posted by: Skoorb

Birds aren't smart, make it night time and it will think it's time to sleep. Night-time is defined by darkness. Just keep in mind you sleep it during the day and it may decide it's not tired at night.
Indeed.

The answer is that you can't. Birds make noise.. you'll have to live with it.

If it is "attention noise", then you could maybe get another bird, or get it some mirrors and toys....

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
A zip tie around the beak should do the trick. If you have no zip ties then give it a large helping of chunky peanut butter...it'll clog up the little blow holes on top of its beak and voila, no more squawk.

If that doesn't work then try quick setting epoxy.

imported_Phil

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2001
Sorry, you said it's a bird?
Right.

Cue shopping spree at a major-name fashion outlet. That'll shut it up for at least a few hours.
You may want to consider the "Wine-&-Dine" approach too.

:D

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
"accidentally" knock the cage over, killing it....or at least letting it free

be sure to accidentally let it free somehwhere outside and not near where you reside

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Pastfinder
It wants attention, play with it, talk to it, ect....not a hard thing to do.
It does want attention, but I'm not going to forego sleep to talk to it so that it doesn't chirp in my sleep.

It's almost sad. It *freaks out* when it thinks no one is around.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Originally posted by: Pastfinder
It wants attention, play with it, talk to it, ect....not a hard thing to do.
It does want attention, but I'm not going to forego sleep to talk to it so that it doesn't chirp in my sleep.

It's almost sad. It *freaks out* when it thinks no one is around.

sounds like it needs another bird