biostar TF 7025 video memory question

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by pinecone, Nov 10, 2007.

1. pinecone

pinecone Member

Anyone with a Biostar TF 7025-m2 know how to increase the onboard video's shared memory from 256mb to 512mb.

I can't find anywhere in the bios a place to make an adjustment.

thanks,

2. eplebnista

eplebnista Lifer

From the specs here

256mb is the max dedicated shared system memory the 7025 gpu can have and it can dynamically use up to 256mb more shared system memory (512mb total) via the turbocache feature. Basically when it uses all of the 256mb of the shared memory it is allotted it will grab whatever extra system memory (up to 512mb total) it needs to complete its task.

3. pinecone

pinecone Member

Thanks, that makes sense. I had read the specs but did not understand the phrase "under OS by turbocache" as opposed to locking in 512mb somewhere in the hardware setup. I would like to force it into 512mb of dedicated video memory but there is probably no advantage to that.

I'm still not sure exactly what Turbocache feature is and there is nothing about it in the manual or bios info.

Thanks again for explaining!

4. jose073

jose073 Junior Member

Hi

Those onboard graphics are fine with 64 or 128 megs of VRAM, any more RAM you use with them is wasted, you better use it as system memory.

Cheers

5. Zap

Zap Elite Member

Basically if the game you're playing requires more memory for holding textures than your video card has, it "borrows" from system memory. However, when you aren't in a game, the extra TurboCache memory is available for Windows to use, while any memory allocated in BIOS is still unavailable.

If you're not using it for gaming, then set the onboard graphics to use as little RAM as possible, as nothing else needs that much video memory.