Bioshock --

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
I see they have a beta version of the patch that some people are able to get and use.
Wondering if anyone on here has the patch?

ethebubbeth

Golden Member
May 2, 2003
It doesn't matter if someone has the patch yet... because you have to sign a non disclosure agreement to be part of the patch beta (what the hell is the world coming to?). We wont get any information about it until it hits :(

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
Originally posted by: ethebubbeth
It doesn't matter if someone has the patch yet... because you have to sign a non disclosure agreement to be part of the patch beta (what the hell is the world coming to?). We wont get any information about it until it hits :(

maybe it updates your DRM from version 1.0 to version 2.0 :D

ethebubbeth

Golden Member
May 2, 2003
Yeah, securom pisses me off, but I can live with it for a game I really like. The activation they implemented was just beyond tolerable though. I'd rant, but it's been discussed in great detail across half the net already.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
Yeah, there's no point of reiterating it again, but if patch has NDA , then it has more than bag of fixes.

ethebubbeth

Golden Member
May 2, 2003
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper
NDA for a patch? This is serious BS.

O rly?

The whole activation bullmalarkey pissed me enough to return the game... but Circuit City wouldn't take it back since the box had been opened. This is in spite of the fact that there is nothing about their licensing and activation scheme on the box. It only states that an internet connection is required to play the game. Their initial install scheme of 2 allowed installs was insane, and their supposed 5x5 scheme is still criminal. They promised a revocation tool to earn back those installs when you remove the game, but it has not yet materialized (surprise, surprise).

Less so than the number of activations, my biggest beef is whether or not I'll be able to install the game and play it 10 years from now when I'm waxing nostalgic. If that activation server no longer exists, I'm totally out of luck.

The whole experience has left me jaded and with less of an opinion of Bioshock than the game rightfully deserves. I guess I'm off to play System Shock 2, which I can install whenever I'd like without any limitations.

Owls

Feb 22, 2006
If 5 years from now I can't play Bioshock due to the servers going down then no, you aren't getting my money.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Owls
If 5 years from now I can't play Bioshock due to the servers going down then no, you aren't getting my money.

They already said that in a few years they'll release a patch that disables the need for activation anyways, so that really isn't a concern.

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
Considering the efficiency of the 2K team I think it really is a concern.

The whole team at 2K sucks, their PR people, their PC team, their moderators, the only guys that don't suck are Ken Levine and the rest of creative and artistic directives.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: miniMUNCH
Bioshock on steam... problem solved.

2K does not think that the STEAM DRM is enough, as stated above, Sony's SecuROM comes with the STEAM copy as well, so you do not miss out on all the problems that plague SecuROM AND you get activation!

Good job 2K Games!

Pez D Spencer

Banned
Nov 22, 2005
There are cracks available that you can use to totally avoid activation, SecuROM and all that other crap if you know where to look.

I'm not advocating pirating the whole game, I'm just saying that all the jumping through hoops just to play a game sucks and there are ways around it that really aren't too difficult.

ethebubbeth

Golden Member
May 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Pez D Spencer
There are cracks available that you can use to totally avoid activation, SecuROM and all that other crap if you know where to look.

I'm not advocating pirating the whole game, I'm just saying that all the jumping through hoops just to play a game sucks and there are ways around it that really aren't too difficult.

I don't want to have to break the law (the whole DMCA circumventing protection crap) to play a game I paid money for.