Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
I've got an HDTV and I've heard the graphics are really nice on Bioshock so I'm kind of leaning towards getting it for the 360 for the visuals, but I did just get a new computer that should be able to handle Bioshock with ease and I'm hesitant to get another Action/RPG game for my 360 since they seem to have terrible handling in combat and inventory management is generally a nightmare as well. Has anyone played it on both and can give me any advice on whether or not there is a significant difference in playability when playing on a 360?

BATCH71

Diamond Member
May 5, 2001
You can get Bioshock for PC for a cool $5 on Steam this week. Helluva deal for a game I have yet to finish.

Dave

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
PC version. Anyway, I loved Bioshock and $5 is a steal for it. I thought the graphics were just fine and the art style was appealing to me.

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
it's 4.99 via Steam right now

get the PC version and hook your PC to the HDTV

Cabages

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
Originally posted by: WaitingForNehalem
The graphics aren't good

Compared to what?

I can understand people hating the gameplay (though I personally love it), but just how are the graphics terrible?

OP, I personally like mouse and keyboard. Just go with whatever you are more comfortable with, though the PC version will most likely be cheaper.

Whatever you do, play it. Great game.

Chriscross3234

Jun 4, 2006
I have both a PC and an Xbox 360 and I usually tend to buy every game on PC and Xbox 360 only titles on the 360. I decided to jump ship and try Bioshock on 360 and I have also played the demo on PC and I can't tell a difference between the two. The game isn't really that twitch response FPS type of game thus rendering the PC advantage null and the gameplay felt the same for both. If money is your priority go with the cheapest (PC) but if money isn't a problem I would say go with whatever system that you would think make you fully get enthralled in the Bioshock atmosphere/world (whether it be sitting in a couch infront of a HDTV or infront of your nice rig).

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Udgnim

Good call, might I add the possibility for mods on the PC version along with higher resolution / graphics customization (like the critical feature of disabling the post processing effects (ie bloom / hdr lighting)).

For $5 you cannot go wrong, pick up STALKER: Shadows of Chernobyl as well (it was $5 last I checked).

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll definitely get it off Steam, $5 is too good to pass up for a game that has received so much praise. Might rent it for my 360 as well just to see the difference since I get a free rental monthly and theres nothing coming out soon that I'm really looking forward to.

What is with this STALKER game? I looked up some reviews on it and they were all pretty negative but I've been hearing a lot about it on the forums here. Is it that good? Or is it just cheap enough to be worth the price?

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Wardawg1001

What is with this STALKER game? I looked up some reviews on it and they were all pretty negative but I've been hearing a lot about it on the forums here. Is it that good? Or is it just cheap enough to be worth the price?
Both Stalker games are absolutely awesome.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Originally posted by: Udgnim

Good call, might I add the possibility for mods on the PC version along with higher resolution / graphics customization (like the critical feature of disabling the post processing effects (ie bloom / hdr lighting)).

For $5 you cannot go wrong, pick up STALKER: Shadows of Chernobyl as well (it was $5 last I checked).

It's $15 right now, so either you made a mistake or there was a price change in the last... what, hour since you've posted this?

Luckily Clear Sky is only $17.49, placing both in the great deal range

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Get it for the PC, since it's $5. I personally prefer gaming on the PC for any FPS title, but that's just personal preference.

And also, look into hooking up your computer to your HDTV. It's not hard to do and worth the 1 cable that you might not already own (either a VGA-VGA, DVI-DVI, or DVI-HDMI cable depending on your video card outputs and TV inputs)

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
The graphics aren't good and the gameplay is terrible.

You, my friend, need to share what it is you've been smoking.......If it's not your cup of tea that's one thing. But the gameplay, environment and graphics for an FPS/RPG gamer are top notch.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
What is with this STALKER game? I looked up some reviews on it and they were all pretty negative but I've been hearing a lot about it on the forums here. Is it that good?
Yes, if you enjoy non-linear FPShooters with RPG elements.

Originally posted by: Eeezee
It's $15 right now, so either you made a mistake or there was a price change in the last... what, hour since you've posted this?

STALKER - Shadow of Chernobyl - $4.99

Seems to have died, fortunately I got it before the deal died:)

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Seriously OP, you kind of had to know what answer you would get posting this in PC Gaming. :p

Anyway, for $4.99 you can't go wrong and of course for any FPS-type game the correct answer is always PC.

KT

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I can understand people hating the gameplay (though I personally love it), but just how are the graphics terrible?

They aren't terrible, but not great either. You get some excellent water and parallax mapping effects mixed in with some textures and character models from the 90s. Very inconsistent stuff.

It's a solid game in any case. Not flawless by any means, but certainly worth playing.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
The graphics aren't good and the gameplay is terrible.

You are totally incompatible with games, sir.

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Wardawg1001
I've got an HDTV and I've heard the graphics are really nice on Bioshock so I'm kind of leaning towards getting it for the 360 for the visuals, but I did just get a new computer that should be able to handle Bioshock with ease and I'm hesitant to get another Action/RPG game for my 360 since they seem to have terrible handling in combat and inventory management is generally a nightmare as well. Has anyone played it on both and can give me any advice on whether or not there is a significant difference in playability when playing on a 360?

Hook up your PC to that HDTV set it to 1080P and you are bound to have fun killing with the bigdaddy's.

Originally posted by: Hav0k99
What makes Bioshshock stand out from other FPS/Horror games?

The storyline and the graphics, bar none the visuals are superb. I personally didn't get into the storyline but when it's on sale for $5 (i.e. current steam sale) and $10 (i.e. black friday sale)it's hard to pass up and worth another look. :thumbsup:

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
I found Bioshock refreshing... wasn't something that had been done before. I never did finish it on my Xbox, though. First person shooter with a joystick doesn't work well for me. I managed to get Steam to accept my gift card, so I picked up Bioshock and Fallout 3 and will be playing through Bioshock on my PC.