Bioshock...

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
is FRICKING bizarre....

I just got this and played a few mins into this game. I just thought its mega-bizarre. Sometimes i wonder whether story writers are high on something...

G.

Cabages

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
It gets even more so, but still a good story.

Enjoy it, really good game. What difficulty?

Cabages

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
Originally posted by: flexy
medium

Ahh, I think thats the best difficulty to start at. It got a little frustrating at some times, but totally worth it. Im going back through on hard now, and its...hard.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Yep, bizarre in a good way. I loved it; enjoy the rest of the ride! :D

KT

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
The bizarre factor of BioShock, and the twisted world of Rapture, is what kept me coming back for more even after I realized that the game lacked some of the technical depth found in its spiritual predecessor, System Shock 2.

I still feel that the developers missed an opportunity to truly leverage the plasmids and tonics to create branching character builds, but the atmosphere of the game is too insane to pass up.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
That was the best single player experience for me in a while. They could have made replayability a bit more robust with some branching story lines but as it is now its damn good.

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
Would you kindly get back to playing the game and let us know how you like the entire experience? :)

bvalpati

Jul 28, 2000
I'm interested in Bioshock but I'm wondering how much gameplay I can expect from it? I just borrowed CoD4 and finished the single player campaign in less than 7 hours on hardened. Needless to say if I had spent $50 on it I would have been pretty pissed since the multiplayer in that series doesn't interest me much at all. Roughly how many hours of gameplay is included in Bioshock?

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007

BioShock is longer - I played it on hard, because there's no excuse for playing it on anything other than that - I'd say it took me neighborhood of 20 hours to beat on the first run through. But then, I like to do everything and look everywhere and take my time. Say 15 hrs. for the typical shooter fan.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
The Rapture atmosphere is what makes Bioshock awesome. It's not a cookie-cutter futuristic-Halo-like environment, and it's enjoyable to look at. The characterizations are done very well, and it's fun to listen to the tapes and story.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I'm interested in Bioshock but I'm wondering how much gameplay I can expect from it? I just borrowed CoD4 and finished the single player campaign in less than 7 hours on hardened. Needless to say if I had spent $50 on it I would have been pretty pissed since the multiplayer in that series doesn't interest me much at all. Roughly how many hours of gameplay is included in Bioshock?
Hard to say, and depends on your gameplay style...if you explore every nook and cranny of Rapture, the value of the game is well worth the price of admission.

The tonics and plasmids allow for different play styles, so I will sometimes revisit areas just to try out different combinations...some are more useful than others, and I typically use the same two or three plasmids in combat situations, but the others are fun to experiment with.

Also, the audio diaries help to flesh out the game world, and it is worth taking the time to search for them.

If you are a run and gun FPS player, you probably won't like BioShock...if you enjoyed System Shock 2, then will you kindly pick up the game.

bvalpati

Jul 28, 2000
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975
If you are a run and gun FPS player, you probably won't like BioShock...if you enjoyed System Shock 2, then will you kindly pick up the game.

I enjoy run & gun FPS a lot but I also really like a good, immersive storyline, I would probably rank Deus Ex as the most enjoyable FPS I've ever played although I never played System Shock 2.

I've been playing a retarded MMO for the past couple years for some reason(just a retard I guess) and didn't really play much else during that time so I've fallen behind on games a lot. I bought UT3 because people were saying it was going to play much more like UT99 than UT2K4 but I haven't really found that to be the case nor have I been able to get into it much thus far and while I really liked CoD4 it was way too short. All the CoD sp campaigns have been pretty short in my opinion but this last one was ridiculous.

I guess I'll pick up Bioshock later this week and see how it goes.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
If you enjoyed Deus Ex, you will definitely enjoy BioShock...of the two, I think Deus Ex was the better crafted game of the two, but BioShock does introduce a rather unique game world...a fairly dark, morbid, twisted and depressing gameworld.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975
If you enjoyed Deus Ex, you will definitely enjoy BioShock...of the two, I think Deus Ex was the better crafted game of the two, but BioShock does introduce a rather unique game world...a fairly dark, morbid, twisted and depressing gameworld.

I got bored of Bioshock. Good atmosphere, but too much of a console game. Deus Ex is my favorite game ever, btw.

Capitalizt

Banned
Nov 28, 2004
I highly recommend you take the time to listen to every audio diary you find. They really add a lot to the atmosphere and story.. Take your time, look, listen, explore, and enjoy the atmosphere of the world crumbling around you ;)

DefRef

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
Unlike most games where you just plow thru every level as fast as possible, I found myself methodically searching and looting every room, hacking everything, listening to every diary to immerse myself in the story. On Medium, it took me 20-25 hours to run thru once. Excellent design and atmosphere, but the story kinda falls apart in the last third and the ending is anticlimactic to say the least. Because so much is so good, the stuff that's not as good seems worse than it is.