Bioshock What a game

tyler811

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
I have played this for 8 hours straight and I just bought it yesterday. It is such a beautiful game, the graphics are stunning. The game play is very involved. `The only thing that could make this game better would be multi player. there is not a steady stream of things to kill so you have time to explore which is a must to get every thing. This is the best game I have played in years

This thread has deteriorated beyond saving, locked until we can fully review the replies and decide who (if anyone) needs to be dealt with.

-Schadenfroh

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I thought the game was great but nowhere near the orgasmic experience many reviewers make it out to be. I'd give it 8.5/10.

tyler811

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Originally posted by: BFG10K
I thought the game was great but nowhere near the orgasmic experience many reviewers make it out to be. I'd give it 8.5/10.

8.5 out of 10 is still pretty freakin good lol

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004

My thoughts exactly.

As far as the graphics go, they're pretty good overall but quite a mixed bag. You get outstanding water and parallax mapping effects combined with some textures and enemy models that look like they're from the 90s, sometimes in the same room.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
I almost got it at BB for $25 but decided the Halflife Orange box had more game play value in it. Since I don't have HL2. I also read about many users having major issues running this game at all, much less playing it, so it kind of scared me off of it.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Waiting for either a Playstation 3 version or for them to purge Sony's SecuROM pseudorootkit from the PC version myself before picking it up, whichever occurs first and I look forward to playing it!

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
8/10 for me.

Crysis was far more immersive, intense and enjoyable. Crysis is the best game I've played since BF2 came out in 05

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I give it 5/10. I think it was highly overrated. The enemy AI was very poor, the weapons overpowered, and the plasmids more of a gimmick. The plot was also very predictable. I got bored about half way through it and then just raced to get to the end instead of exploring everything.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Well overrated ,I give it 7/10 at most,boring most part of the game ,can't see how anybody can say its awesome,guess they have not played any real games before .

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: CP5670

My thoughts exactly.

As far as the graphics go, they're pretty good overall but quite a mixed bag. You get outstanding water and parallax mapping effects combined with some textures and enemy models that look like they're from the 90s, sometimes in the same room.

i thought Bioshock was great. one of the best games i've played in awhile (at the time).

do you guys who know what every type of graphics effect or whatever actually enjoy the game or do you just sit there while playing and keep saying, "man, the parallax mapping is pretty crappy, the flux capacitor shading is mediocre, the inverse kinematics keyframing is a bit off but its not too bad, and the geometric bumpmapping of the vector graphics is good, but it was better in X game."*

* terms used are made up by using multiple graphics and non-graphics related terms.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Mem
Well overrated ,I give it 7/10 at most,boring most part of the game ,can't see how anybody can say its awesome,guess they have not played any real games before .
agreed

it is a dumbed-down and very shameless rip-off of SystemShock2 with confused philosophical pretensions
- BS are it's very apt initials

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: pontifex
i thought Bioshock was great. one of the best games i've played in awhile (at the time).

do you guys who know what every type of graphics effect or whatever actually enjoy the game or do you just sit there while playing and keep saying, "man, the parallax mapping is pretty crappy, the flux capacitor shading is mediocre, the inverse kinematics keyframing is a bit off but its not too bad, and the geometric bumpmapping of the vector graphics is good, but it was better in X game."*

* terms used are made up by using multiple graphics and non-graphics related terms.

I was saying that in response to the OP's remark that the graphics were "stunning," which is certainly not the case compared to other recent games. I actually don't care much about graphics these days as long as I get a solid framerate, as I tend to stop paying attention to them after playing the game for a while. :p

As far as the game itself goes, I liked the unusual art style and the small details in the levels but the overall level design was highly linear and the respawning made the gameplay so easy that there was no point in using any real tactics for anything. The whole thing exhibited a lot of console influence in general. I liked the hacking minigame and the plasmid customization, although it was quite basic compared to what SS2 had. The plot was very good at first but got dull later on and generally didn't have anywhere near the depth of titles like Deus Ex or SS2. There was of course the nasty copy protection as well, but nothing a crack can't take care of. :p

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: apoppin
agreed

it is a dumbed-down and very shameless rip-off of SystemShock2 with confused philosophical pretensions
- BS are it's very apt initials

http://www.escapistmagazine.co...o-Punctuation-BioShock

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad
its a popular game so there are some trendy people who don't like it just for that.

I played it from start to finish,it took me 3 hours to get online activation due to their servers being overloaded,when I buy a retail game I expect to be able to play it straight away,not nextweek or 3 hours later,pirates have an easier time then gamers like myself that always buy games legally.

Gameplay wise there was nothing new ,few mobs here and there also sound was nothing special, nothing great about the exploring part,graphics were ok but nothing that made me go wow!!!...as to story I did not really enjoy it to be honest and game length wise was not that long(good for me you could say).

Yet reviewers and people give it 10/10 lol sorry I got to laugh,yes its my opinion only but at least I played it from start to finish and have played many great games in the pass,end of the day it did not live up to my expectations and some of the others agree with me as well.

Its not in my top 40 list and never will be,you could say one of the most disappointing games I have ever purchased.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad
its a popular game so there are some trendy people who don't like it just for that.

I played it from start to finish,it took me 3 hours to get online activation due to their servers being overloaded,when I buy a retail game I expect to be able to play it straight away,not nextweek or 3 hours later,pirates have an easier time then gamers like myself that always buy games legally.

Gameplay wise there was nothing new ,few mobs here and there also sound was nothing special, nothing great about the exploring part,graphics were ok but nothing that made me go wow!!!...as to story I did not really enjoy it to be honest and game length wise was not that long(good for me you could say).

Yet reviewers and people give it 10/10 lol sorry I got to laugh,yes its my opinion only but at least I played it from start to finish and have played many great games in the pass,end of the day it did not live up to my expectations and some of the others agree with me as well.

Its not in my top 40 list and never will be,you could say one of the most disappointing games I have ever purchased.

What IS in your top 40 tho? Sometimes I prefer games not in many people's top 40.