Bioshock : IQ , DX9 vs DX10 , low to high Gpu test , XP vs Vista

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CrystalBay

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2002
I agree, it is slightly peculiar that they don't test these one year old cards for comparisons purposes.

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Ackmed
Originally posted by: RussianSensation
Originally posted by: Ackmed
Challenges the Ultra? It "wins" ...

I didn't want to state outright that it beats 8800Ultra since at 1600x1200 it actually trails in minimum frames at 39 vs. 44. The point is it performs extremely well in Bioshock with the new driver in DX9. Looking forward to Crysis battle.

I understand. The way you stated it though, sounds like the Ultra won most benches. Which it didnt.

Originally posted by: Cookie Monster
Why didnt they enable AA? Doesnt it work on XP i.e DX9 mode?

Sadly, its not that easy. And it doesn work in Steam.

Because 2K Australia said the PC version uses shader that don't support AA but funny thing is that 360 version has 4xAA. Which is crazy ;( , You can force AA but its ain't that effective.

themisfit610

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2006
funny thing is that 360 version has 4xAA.

AFAIK, only at 480p does the 360 enable AA. I highly doubt it has enough graphics horsepower to handle 4xAA at 1080p.

~MiSfit

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: swtethan
Originally posted by: themisfit610
Impressive showing from the 2900XT!

My poor 7800GT really wasn't doing well at 1024x768 medium - playable sure, but not consistently smooth. Totally unplayable at native on my 24"

I need to get a 2900xt :)

~MiSfit

its not so impressive in dx10

The game is a paid for by Nvidia TWIMTBP title anyway so I would expect it to run poorly on ATI's card because Nvidia pays the developer for specific code to benefit their cards. ATI has to rewrite their drivers in order to get around this. It's not the first time it happened, and every time it does, ATI catches up and in some cases has beaten out Nvidia's cards after they get the drivers worked out. I cannot remember ATI sponsoring a game and plastering their logo on it unless you count Valve's Half-Life 2 but then, Nvidia cards aren't crippled in that game.

Not much we can do except wait for driver updates.