bioshock - blade runner

fjorner

Oct 4, 2000
Huge fan of Bioshock.

Watched Blade Runner the other night, Ridley Scott's director's edition. Anyone else see a strong resemblance between the white acrobatic spider splicers in Bioshock and Darryl Hannah's Pris in her final battle with Deckard in Blade Runner?

Not that I find anything wrong with it, but I wonder if that's kindof where the inspiration came from. Pris was a "basic pleasure model". The spider splicers posed as statuesque models or manikins.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003

Yup. I made that *exact* comment in the original Bioshock thread. I really enjoyed the SCI-FI/Horror of both the game and Bladerunner. There was a point where they (the splicers) would do front handsprings toward you and everything. Even the environment of the apartment projects gave that flavor. I think that was totally by design.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Anybody notice the uncanny resemblance between Blade Runner and "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Philip K Dick?

Almost finished with Bioshock, and I didn't really notice that personally. I'll look more closely now.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
Originally posted by: m1ldslide1
Anybody notice the uncanny resemblance between Blade Runner and "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Philip K Dick?

the movie is supposed to be an adaptation of the novel. =)

CrystalBay

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2002
It seems a few recent games are trying to get that effect ,certain UT3 maps remind me of BladeRunner....

fjorner

Oct 4, 2000

You're joking right?

Philip K Dick's estate is making millions off of movie options. Anybody see A Scanner Darkly? Awesome, and one of the few PKD adaptations worth it.

Yes, I agree that the rain coming down in the building at the end of the movie reminds a lot of Bioshock, though that is probably more circumstantial because the city was underwater. But Pris' movement and her look - definitely inspiration for the white spider splicers, and I think that's very cool.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams ... glitter in the dark near Tanhauser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain. Time ... to die.

CrystalBay

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2002
Rutger's last line was the greatest "I've done everything and seen everything" line ever in a movie....or life...

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Originally posted by: fallout man

the movie is supposed to be an adaptation of the novel. =)

:p

Fadardo

Jun 10, 2007
You're joking right?

Philip K Dick's estate is making millions off of movie options. Anybody see A Scanner Darkly? Awesome, and one of the few PKD adaptations worth it.

Yes, I agree that the rain coming down in the building at the end of the movie reminds a lot of Bioshock, though that is probably more circumstantial because the city was underwater. But Pris' movement and her look - definitely inspiration for the white spider splicers, and I think that's very cool.

Anyone else notice an even closer resemblance between Philip K Dick's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" and a 1997 Westwood Studios PC game called Blade Runner?

I think its time to call out the copyright lawyers.....

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: fjorner

You're joking right?

The only movie where Keanu Reeves terrible acting actually fit the character.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
Originally posted by: fjorner

You're joking right?

The only movie where Keanu Reeves terrible acting actually fit the character.

I thought his 'acting' was pretty appropriate in bill & ted's excellent adventure, and the matrix - he was like "whoah" all the time, which kind of fit both characters.