Bioshock and the "Hacking Ability"

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
Alright, I beat Bioshock. I loved the game, walked through every room, and picked up every object I could get my mits on. But, now I want to play it again... Only, this time... the "hacking" ability will be just that more annoying.

Anyone know of any WIP mods that will change/modify/remove this function? Hacking wasn't too bad the first time around, at first it was easy.. then became harder later on, but with tonic's it was balanced.. regardless, it became annoying cracking every safe, every machine, every security bot, every weapon station, everything!

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
I had so much money at the end I always either bought or made my own Auto Hack tools. Don't think I hacked the last 3 levels.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Sufficient research into security bots and turrets will make hacking them automatically succeed. That cuts down a lot of the hacking.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
The pipe game did get pretty annoying after a while. I used autohacking tools sparingly and kept forgetting that you could research bots. Oh well, I just ended up shooting them near the end anyways.

Noema

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2005
It gets tiring but like mentioned, research will make a lot of it automatic. And also you get tons of hacking tools / money in the second half of the game too.

I personally would never destroy a single camera / turret. I play in hard and you need all the help you can get against the big daddies. Cameras in particular are great against the Rosie big daddies.

Plus I love seeing the splicers get torn to shreds by them. :D

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
I agree Noema on hard you just can't afford to kill turrets and cameras, Bouncers are kind of easy to kill with the crossbow but Rosies are a tad harder (and the damn telekinesis plasmid keeps grabbing a random hat or something instead of the grenades they throw).

BTW, I hate the hacking minigame as well, I guess you could spend lots of money and materials on hacking tonics and autohackers from the u-invent.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
Yea I never used research until this second time around. Now I can kill splicers insanely quick!

:D Ty, I had no idea pictures could be taken of cameras.

Capitalizt

Banned
Nov 28, 2004
Originally posted by: Piuc2020
but Rosies are a tad harder (and the damn telekinesis plasmid keeps grabbing a random hat or something instead of the grenades they throw).

LOL, throw the hat at the Big Daddy's!

It will mess with their head.

Pathogen03

Golden Member
May 16, 2004
honestly, the hacking game took about 10-15 seconds each time.

I had a bigger issue with the game taking 10 seconds after you take a shot with the camera to let you get back to combat.

IMO cameras become worthless as the security drones take forever to kill splicers, so thats what i used all my machine gun ammo on. For turrets, you get enough cash to keep an endless supply of autohacks anyway.

For bouncers, lay 3 trip wire bolts in a cluster, tag him with a pistol shot. He rushes you and falls at your feet dead.

For the Rosies, electric buck is a free kill, 4 bullets if you have the shotgun damage upgrade. Alternatively, you can just shoot them and physically hit them with the electric trap bolts.

Also, good to note, steel tipped bolts oneshot ALL turrets. Sadly the bolt is unrecoverable. :(

edit-----

on a side note, telekinesis does absurd damage, even if you hit them with a floating clip of ammo.