Bioshock 2 Hacking with remapped keys...

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
So, i finally got this game working (the steam/GFWL combo is really borked) and i always map movement to "ASDF." For this game i remapped "hacking" to B. However, when i try to hack it tells me (via the tutorial prompt) to hit "E" when in the green. B, E, F etc all do nothing. There are no other keys remap in the menu, so how do i hack? BTW, what happened to the pipes? I rather liked that mini-game.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
asdf.......... I don't know how you manage that lol. BTW, i love 337's. Have a Mk4 GTi vr6 with a blower, lots of fun!

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
asdf.......... I don't know how you manage that lol. BTW, i love 337's. Have a Mk4 GTi vr6 with a blower, lots of fun!

What? asdf is the most natural arrangement. I touch type, why not game the same way? Nonetheless, whats up with the cracking mini-game and being able to do it? Im completely stuck.

BTW, i think you mean supercharger, no?

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Bioshock 2 is a terrible console port when it comes to mappings.
Fallout 3 was the same.

You would think a developer might consider simple things like "will key remaps work?" when they are testing/etc.

totalnoob

Golden Member
Jul 17, 2009
I had the same problem at first, then found changing the remapped keys slightly fixed the problem.

tomt4535

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2004
Once you press the hack button, and the needle is going through, click the left mouse button when its on the green area.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
What? asdf is the most natural arrangement. I touch type, why not game the same way?

Sure, but at the same time, do you really need to have a finger on the "down arrow" at all times?

WASD is good for me, because I'll have three fingers on WAD most times (In reality, I only have my fingers on AD if I need to strafe). And the remaining index and thumb are free to roam around.

I'm not criticizing your choice, I just find it unique. I've heard of a lot of other combinations, just not asdf.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
WASD is good for me, because I'll have three fingers on WAD most times (In reality, I only have my fingers on AD if I need to strafe). And the remaining index and thumb are free to roam around.
This is the real benefit of WASD or ESDF as they let you use your pinky for common actions on the shift and control keys, and more importantly for control-combinations. Many gaming keyboards also have a row of macro keys on the left side that can be easily accessed with the pinky finger as well.

It's simple to use your middle finger for forwards and backwards because you never need to hit both at the same time and it reaches both comfortably.