Question BIOS updating, a must or a maybe?

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I've been wanting to ask this for some time.

I was told about 5 years ago when I asked about my BIOS that, "if your PC is working fine, don't do anything with the BIOS. You're more likely to mess it up if something arises you weren't expecting. If it's fine now, leave the BIOS alone." And therefore, due to that, I never updated my BIOS. So what's the deal? Is it something I should constantly do as often as my video drivers, etc? Is it something only knowledgable people should play with? Or is it a crucial part of maintaining a system? And why then do so many seem hesitant to update the BIOS when you ask around online? (..maybe I'm asking in the wrong places?)

Feb 4, 2009
Posting for updates, however I am a fan of don’t mess with drivers or bios if everything is working correctly.
My opinion has changed regarding meltdown & specter vulnerablities.
I really don’t know the correct answer.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
And why then do so many seem hesitant to update the BIOS when you ask around online? (..maybe I'm asking in the wrong places?)
Because the motherboard manufacturers also state not to update them unless you are experiencing issues. There's always a small chance a person can experience new issues. Here is a shot of Asrock's support page for the X470 Taichi:

21.jpg

That said, quite a few of the BIOS updates anymore fix security issues, and improves performance (more so on the AMD side). As long as a person follows the release note directions, (for things like updating to a certain BIOS version first, updating chipset drives first, etc.) a person shouldn't experience any catastrophic problems.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I update my BIOS if there is a compatibility issue or new features.

My ryzen setup is only updated to 3.20 for my Asrock B450 ITX. There are newer ones but they do nothing for my setup. Plus the latest ones are not for use with zen+ cpus.

topmounter

Aug 3, 2010
Treat it like a major OS update. I recommend reading the release notes carefully, don't be first, backup, have license keys / installation media ready and make sure you have plenty of time to sort out any issues if they occur.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The tinkerer in me finds it really hard to resist flashing the new uEFI's when they're released. I guess I'm pro flashing!

Both of my MB's have USB flashback so I don't really worry about having a bad flash. If the new uEFI sucks then I'll just flashback and be done with it till the next one comes out.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
I was told about 5 years ago when I asked about my BIOS that, "if your PC is working fine, don't do anything with the BIOS. You're more likely to mess it up if something arises you weren't expecting. If it's fine now, leave the BIOS alone."
There are BIOS updates which improve memory compatibility or add support for new CPUs or fix some vulnerability, etc. It is better to update to these when you have a working system and when you can choose a non-critical time to update it.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
"if your PC is working fine, don't do anything with the BIOS. You're more likely to mess it up if something arises you weren't expecting. If it's fine now, leave the BIOS alone."

My opinion has always been that unless there is some critical fixes in the newer release BIOS/UEFI, or you're upgrading the CPU, just leave it alone.

...but of course, the tinkerer in me want the latest and greatest. So the above usually only holds for really critical systems. I do normally flash to the latest BIOS when getting new gear however.

I really don’t know the correct answer.

I don't think there is one. It's a question of individual temperament.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
I always update the bios of my motherboards. I've never noticed anything of value except this one old board I had ~18 years ago. I got a 10% performance improvement on Q3A. That is spectacular. Most other times, there has been a zero difference and I have managed to brick two boards in my lifetime when things went wrong.

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
I usually update every so often. Never had a problem not sure how people screw it up. Now that I do repair I have the tools to update even if the mobo is not turned on so there's even less risk. If you have a dual bios mobo I say don't worry update whenever you want.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I usually update every so often. Never had a problem not sure how people screw it up. Now that I do repair I have the tools to update even if the mobo is not turned on so there's even less risk. If you have a dual bios mobo I say don't worry update whenever you want.
Most likely most flashing issues come from someone managing to get the wrong version for their board, or doing the flash within Windows with a crappy motherboard utility that crashes in the middle.

I personally always do it within the BIOS, and I've never had a bad update (knock on wood). :D

Reactions: VirtualLarry

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I've never had an issue either but I will say it has become a lot more straight forward over the years. I think this mindset is an old hold over from the days when flashing a BIOS was more involved and potentially more dangerous.

I'm an amateur PC collector focusing mainly on 486 era PCs and I can tell you from experience that flashing a BIOS on one of my 486 machines is way more involved than say flashing one on my current 6700K machine. From unzipping the file to using the flash utility it is infinitely more nerve wracking. Couple that with the age of the machines and flashing a BIOS on them will make you bite your nails to the quick every time. haha

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm an amateur PC collector focusing mainly on 486 era PCs and I can tell you from experience that flashing a BIOS on one of my 486 machines is way more involved than say flashing one on my current 6700K machine. From unzipping the file to using the flash utility it is infinitely more nerve wracking. Couple that with the age of the machines and flashing a BIOS on them will make you bite your nails to the quick every time. haha
Like, using an actual floppy disk, and praying that the floppy that you chose to use, didn't have a bad spot on it.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Like, using an actual floppy disk, and praying that the floppy that you chose to use, didn't have a bad spot on it.
Exactly haha even pointing the unzip utility to decompress the file from the floppy to the HDD can be a challenge and then god forbid your floppy has a bad sector on it that the unzip utility didn't pick up on. Then you've got a corrupted file from the get go and you don't even know it. You use that file to flash the BIOS and your in some real pretty shit man. It's game over at that point man.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
So at least this once that I'm setting up a new motherboard and CPU, I should grab the latest BIOS for the motherboard that's on the MSI site right now? And did I read right somewhere else that you have to 'set' the RAM to run at the right speed or right configuration or something? I thought all RAM was plug and play?

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
So at least this once that I'm setting up a new motherboard and CPU, I should grab the latest BIOS for the motherboard that's on the MSI site right now? And did I read right somewhere else that you have to 'set' the RAM to run at the right speed or right configuration or something? I thought all RAM was plug and play?
I would. The best time to flash a BIOS is during the initial setup of a new system. You wont even have to load the OS first just flash the BIOS right off the bat.
As far as ram goes you might have to enable the XMP profile in your BIOS settings in order to get the ram running at its rated speed IF you purchased overclocked ram. If you didn't then don't worry about what I just said. Your BIOS will pic up on the rams setting for you and adjust them automatically.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I would. The best time to flash a BIOS is during the initial setup of a new system. You wont even have to load the OS first just flash the BIOS right off the bat.
Ignorant question, if I just get the mobo, PSU, and CPU installed in my case and forget entirely about OS, SSDs, etc, when I boot the system I'll get a BIOS Screen or something that lets me upgrade the BIOS? So, I should prepare that on a USB flash drive before? I have my laptop available.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Yep, just connect all your components up like you normally would(cpu, ram, gpu if applicable, ssd, hdd, ect)then before you install your OS enter the BIOS and flash it. Once it restarts and POSTs normally begin to install your OS as you normally would.

EDIT:You will have to press a key to enter the BIOS even if an OS is not installed. Normally it is the DEL or F1 key but anymore it depends on the motherboard manufacturer. If you don't press the key nothing bad will happen your system will just POST to a blinking curser and maybe give you a message about not being able to find an installed OS.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Yep, just connect all your components up like you normally would(cpu, ram, gpu if applicable, ssd, hdd, ect)then before you install your OS enter the BIOS and flash it. Once it restarts and POSTs normally begin to install your OS as you normally would.
Ok, in this particular case, I'm just going to take my current Windows 10 install on my SSD and use it in the new build. Every component is coming over from the old PC except for the motherboard and CPU.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Ok so yeah then leave the SSD disconnected until after you flash the BIOS. Once the flash is done power down the system connect up your ssd then power it back on and you should be good to go.

Honestly like I mentioned above flashing a BIOS is really straight forward anymore. Hell I've even done it from within Windows on my HP laptop without issue. Sounds like you might be over thinking this a bit. Don't let yourself get to worked up or nervous about it and you will be fine.

Reactions: tinpanalley

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Honestly like I mentioned above flashing a BIOS is really straight forward anymore. Hell I've even done it from within Windows on my HP laptop without issue. Sounds like you might be over thinking this a bit. Don't let yourself get to worked up or nervous about it and you will be fine.
Thank you for the confidence boost. I get the opportunity to financially do a full upgrade on my system about once every 8 years. And my PCs last because I take good care of them. So I guess I get a bit nervous when the time comes. Plus, there are also things as time passes that you hear, 'you SHOULD update your BIOS all the time', 'you SHOULDN'T update it', 'you should do this or that to your RAM' and you just wanna get it right.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Hey I get that I only upgrade my PC every 5-8 years to. Just stay relaxed and follow the instructions that the mainboard manufacturer suggests and you will be fine. If something does go wrong just remember you have a great community here that is willing to help you work it out.:)

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Hey I get that I only upgrade my PC every 5-8 years to. Just stay relaxed and follow the instructions that the mainboard manufacturer suggests and you will be fine. If something does go wrong just remember you have a great community here that is willing to help you work it out.:)
Well that's good to hear because I need help right now. :(