Question BIOS shows 3.5V @ ~2.8 red - is that too low?

DeurDee

May 31, 2023
Hey guys, my monitor would start to turn off with a wide random interval over the weekend, i game pretty hardcore and today the interval has went to like 15 mins then 10 then 2 now i can barely load into the bios before the monitor turns off. What I noticed in the bios that under the advanced page the third voltage marker on the right hand side is red at 2.8 with a 3.5v figure above it. Now, i saw another post saying 12v and 10.5 is too low and psu is bad. Is that the same thing in this case ? PSU is slowly taking a poop ?

by the way i retested it on my secondary hp 25es monitor the interval is still shortening and it did not matter that i switched. tried a different gpu port as well.

Here are my system specs:

Asus TUF GAMING PLUS wifi 570
27'LG 240
rYZEN 5 5600X
corsair cx750M
nvidia 3070 evga
16x2 ripjaws 3600hz
250 samsung evo ssd's x 2
m.2 x 2 samsung 850s
some external:
2i2 scaARLET focusrite
kontakt 61 komplete
nord electro 3

im trippin cuz its a gold modular power supply 750watts cx750M corsair only a few years old, i believe 5yr warranty on it. thank you all in advance i really appreciate your help!

Geven

Banned
May 15, 2023
Your observations could really indicate a potential PSU issue. Voltages outside of the normal range, like your 3.5V line dropping to 2.8V, can cause instability and problems, such as your monitor turning off randomly or something like that.

Here are a few suggestions:

1. Try to reset your BIOS settings to the default, just in case some setting is causing this.
  2. Make sure all the PSU cables are securely connected. Sometimes a loose connection can cause voltage drops.
  3. If you have a multimeter, you could manually check the voltages coming from your PSU. This would give you a more accurate reading.
  4. Lastly, if your PSU is still under warranty, it may be a good idea to contact Corsair and explain the situation. They could provide you with more troubleshooting steps or possibly a replacement.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
What is the 3rd voltage marker labeled as being for?

There is no 3.5V rail from PSU to motherboard, so it is not likely this directly indicates a PSU problem. There is a 3.3V rail, but then why would it read 3.5V? I think it is for something else integral to the motherboard and whether it's a problem depends on what it's for.

Having stated all that, I would still grab a multimeter and measure the 3.3V rail at the motherboard connector to see if that is dropping too low, but if it were dropping to 2.8V, I'd expect the PSU protection circuit would shut it off.

I suspect it is more likely that your video card is dying. It would be worth trying a different video card if you have one lying around.