BIOS setting suggestions to get Slot T-bird to boot (?)

Lawton

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hey.

I have a SlotA T-bird that isn't booting. The motherboard (two boards actually, MS-6191 and MS-6195--both completely T-bird compatible, btw) actually behaves as if NO CPU IS PRESENT AT ALL. I have working SlotA CPUs that I can put on the board, though, and get into the BIOS. I am wondering if there are some BIOS settings that can be adjusted that might coax this chip to run.

Disabling the cache (Internal, External, both)?
Bumping up the voltage (can only do this on the 6195, though)?
Disabling cache ECC?
???

Suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

ericboo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2001
I would assume your bios is up to date and supports the cpu you are using. That's the first thing I can think of.

Lawton

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ericboo, yeah. Thanks for responding to the thread! The BIOS on both boards is up to date (flashed to latest). The chipset on both boards is AMD Irongate, which was the first chipset to "officially" support the T-bird. That much, at least, is covered.

There's a identical chip running very well on the K7-pro, anyway (T-bird 700), so at least we know that it's not a compatibility issue.

:)

PassatVR6

Feb 14, 2001
sounds like the cpu could be trashed
Have you gotten that CPU to boot up on anybody elses motherboards?

Lawton

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Passat, I am thinking you're right. I have tried changing some BIOS settings, and still nothing. I've had a classic Athlon or two that ended up with a fried cache, and disabling the cache in BIOS got them running--but even with that those chips would post & then the OS would crash.