BIOS battery question

Discussion in 'Highly Technical' started by VashHT, Jan 22, 2013.

1. VashHT

VashHT Platinum Member

So I have a question regarding not using a CMOS battery with an single board computer.

My thinking was that as long as I am using the default BIOS settings that I wouldn't have any problems. I am not using the clock from the BIOS at all, the software that is booting on this setup does not use the time at all.

However, I have seen a few instances where this setup won't boot because of a CMOS checksum error, but I can't reproduce this problem myself.

I am not too familiar with BIOS at the circuit level so I'm hoping someone here can give me more insight into how this error is coming about.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - BIOS battery question Forum Date
    Recharge AA batteries in device Highly Technical Feb 7, 2017
    Help needed,PC crashed, cant get to boot into or passed bios Highly Technical Mar 25, 2016
    BIOS HP laptop Highly Technical Oct 6, 2015
    PC always go to BIOS on boot before Win10 Highly Technical Sep 26, 2015
    Strange gibberish in BIOS with GTX 960 Highly Technical Aug 28, 2015

3. ericloewe

ericloewe Senior member

Most BIOSes won't let you boot without a working battery before bothering you about it. I'm curious as to what software doesn't use the time for anything, however...
    Side note: if it's plugged-in, time/settings should be maintained even without a battery.

4. VashHT

VashHT Platinum Member

Well the system works fine on my test setup even though the clock is resetting every time I shut it down. I should have worded it better, the software we use does use a clock but it's from a stand alone real time clock so it doesn't look at the clock from this single board computer.

All of the times we have seen this error occur it has happened after the setup has been in use for a while so it's been powered up and down many times with no problems.

5. serpretetsky

serpretetsky Senior member

is the battery still in the computer but dead? If so, try removing it just in case for more consistent results.

Most of my machines will usually give a CMOS error and then have me press F1 or F2 to continue booting anyways.

6. VashHT

VashHT Platinum Member

No the battery is not installed at all, it does give an option of pressing F1 but the setup is normally using a touchscreen so it's not really an option to use a keyboard to get through it. The strange thing though is that the systems boot up fine for a while, it's not like this is coming up the first it is booted. Also some of these setups have never seen this occur, I have multiple setups here that have never used the RTC battery and they have been working fine for a while.

7. sm625

sm625 Diamond Member

Does your test setup have the exact same I/O configuration (mouse keyboard, etc?)

8. serpretetsky

serpretetsky Senior member

some bios's have different options for what the computer should do during POST if any error occurs. Other than that i don't have any other ideas for you. Good luck!