Bin Laden aide: Fox News "Lacks Objectivity"

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
Great column in the Washington Post today that talks about Al Qaeda's plans shortly before Bin Laden was killed.

It amuses me how much Bin Laden was focused on the marketing of the organization, particularly how he felt it needed a name change because it's name had been tarnished.

Most hilarious, however, was how Adam Gadahn, an adviser of his, discussed the media:

Bin Laden and his aides hoped for big terrorist operations to commemorate the 10th anniversary of Sept. 11, 2001. They also had elaborate media plans. Adam Gadahn, a U.S.-born media adviser, even discussed in a message to his boss what would be the best television outlets for a bin Laden anniversary video.

“It should be sent for example to ABC, CBS, NBC, and CNN and maybe PBS and VOA. As for Fox News let her die in her anger,” Gadahn wrote. At another point, he said of the networks: “From a professional point of view, they are all on one level — except [Fox News] channel, which falls into the abyss as you know, and lacks objectivity, too.”

What an unintended boost for Fox, which can now boast that it is al-Qaeda’s least favorite network.
I don't put any weight either way on what al-Qaeda says, but it's hilarious to me that a terrorist/propaganda organization is concerned about media "objectivity", especially because those other networks weren't particularly friends of Bin Laden.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Fox should send him a thank you card. They gonna run long time with this.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Considering that it was the MSNBC President who had his boss' ass waxed, that's pretty funny.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
That's pretty funny, even Bin Laden and his minions know that fox is the only network that is not on their side ;)

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Just more proof for the birds of a feather adage, if you hate Fox news you probably sympathize with terrorists.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Why are we so fixed on the concept of good v evil? When one man's terrorists is another man's freedom fighter.

Especially since terrorism is at least a 6,000 year old idea, and the fact is a remains, an idea can never be killed. As I would assert, as an amateur historian, that any time we have have a large spike in international terrorism, its the symptom and not the cause of international inequities that are unaddressed.

And I will also say, Ossama Bin Laden, as the unlikely terrorists, may go into the history books as perhaps the most effective and damaging terrorist in world history. As I can also say that without an ounces of admiration. Ossama Bin Laden may have spent the last 10 years of his life in radioactive isolation, plotting unrealized attacks everyday. But still Al Zarawari has always been the brains of Al-Quida, and at least IMHO, Al-Quida is now as dangerous as ever.

As we are too stupid, to address the inequities that drive terrorism. As Terrorism is an idea based on the premise that the existing order is so screwed up to be unfixed-able, and the existing order must be hence torn down first, before a just society can be rebuilt.

We need look no further than the founding fathers of the USA to understand. First they petitioned the British colonial authorities for redress of their grievances, and when the British colonial authorities said basically that they had no rights they should respect, the American revolution was on. Had the Brits been more reasonable, maybe we in the USA would be still be singing God save the Queen.

Arrogance is as arrogance does, as we in the USA discover there are limits to military power. Being dumb and powerful is a deadly combination.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Why are we so fixed on the concept of good v evil? When one man's terrorists is another man's freedom fighter.

They're not our freedom fighters, so I really don't care if you support them. They're still to be killed.

Arrogance is as arrogance does, as we in the USA discover there are limits to military power. Being dumb and powerful is a deadly combination.

Limit? Yes... PARKING our troops in hostile territory makes us bleed. Our leaders are actually stupid enough to want Americans to bleed. Under some delusion of transforming the Middle East into our image or.. something.

In that case, yes we have our limits. They pertain to nation building. I'm more akin to !@#$ the next SOB who thinks that's a good idea.

Our soldiers are for killing, and make no mistake they do that rather well.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

Especially since terrorism is at least a 6,000 year old idea, and the fact is a remains, an idea can never be killed. As I would assert, as an amateur historian, that any time we have have a large spike in international terrorism, its the symptom and not the cause of international inequities that are unaddressed.

And I will also say, Ossama Bin Laden, as the unlikely terrorists, may go into the history books as perhaps the most effective and damaging terrorist in world history. As I can also say that without an ounces of admiration. Ossama Bin Laden may have spent the last 10 years of his life in radioactive isolation, plotting unrealized attacks everyday. But still Al Zarawari has always been the brains of Al-Quida, and at least IMHO, Al-Quida is now as dangerous as ever.

As we are too stupid, to address the inequities that drive terrorism. As Terrorism is an idea based on the premise that the existing order is so screwed up to be unfixed-able, and the existing order must be hence torn down first, before a just society can be rebuilt.

We need look no further than the founding fathers of the USA to understand. First they petitioned the British colonial authorities for redress of their grievances, and when the British colonial authorities said basically that they had no rights they should respect, the American revolution was on. Had the Brits been more reasonable, maybe we in the USA would be still be singing God save the Queen.

I prefer a slightly different saying, one man's terrorists are another man's target rich environment. And frankly I don't really care about killing the idea, just killing those who wish to use it as justification for killing me. (And I suspect that while killing UBL has boosted the number of available suicide bombers and jihadies, it's also greatly discouraged those who might otherwise be tempted to become visible members of its leadership. It's one thing to take the lead in sending out jihadies to kill the infidels, quite another to court a SEAL putting a bullet in YOUR face.)

Fox News, more angry than terrorists.
Now THAT made me laugh! Thanks!

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
And I will also say, Ossama Bin Laden, as the unlikely terrorists, may go into the history books as perhaps the most effective and damaging terrorist in world history.

I do want to address this separately, as I completely agree. He was the most effective terrorist.

HOWEVER, we were even more effective. Take the 1.2 trillion dollars and 36,000+ casualties and we could have suffered a September 11th attack every year for the next 12 years and built 12 Manhattan Islands for the cost.

We hurt ourselves far worse than they ever did.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Wow, even a right wing, religious nut job like Bin Liner thinks Fox news is too extremist!

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I do want to address this separately, as I completely agree. He was the most effective terrorist.

HOWEVER, we were even more effective. Take the 1.2 trillion dollars and 36,000+ casualties and we could have suffered a September 11th attack every year for the next 12 years and built 12 Manhattan Islands for the cost.

We hurt ourselves far worse than they ever did.

That I can agree with. 9/11 was the greatest political windfall since Pearl Harbor, used & abused to attack all enemies, foreign and domestic. The fear mongering campaign was epic, an awesome textbook case of propagandizing.

Fox News? The propaganda arm of the Republican party.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
At least Jackalas by saying, "We hurt ourselves far worse than they ever did."

Finally starts to get it.

ky54

Mar 30, 2010
Why is some folks have an anal fixation with Fox News? It's like Pavlov 's dog - just say Bush, Rush, Palin, Cheney, or FNC and it's a sure bet within two posts the slobbering pack will charge in throwing the personal emotional attacks around. Geez, you don't like don't watch it. Radical concept I know.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Why is some folks have an anal fixation with Fox News? It's like Pavlov 's dog - just say Bush, Rush, Palin, Cheney, or FNC and it's a sure bet within two posts the slobbering pack will charge in throwing the personal emotional attacks around. Geez, you don't like don't watch it. Radical concept I know.

Because they are nice wedges between the right and independent voters.