Billionaire Tells Non-Rich Drink Less, Work More

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Having grown up nearby on Long Island and several classmates that went to work on Wall Street and I would say about 6 out of 10 got hooked on Coke right away.

I'd happily bet $100 dollars that your 6 out of 10 figure is either wildly exaggerated or completely made up.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
No, you just sit on AT all day and post crazy.

And you make lots of stupid decisions.

If you're broke, it's because you're Dave McOwen.

So, if you are not a Billionaire, Bob, you must be in the same lazy class as Dave?

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Yep. :D

The wealthy inhabit a totally different society than the rest of us. The customs, beliefs and, perspectives are as different from main stream America as those of the natives of New Guinea.

Those who have always had money, even if they made most of it themselves, tend to think of poor people as lacking in intelligence and drive. In effect, they believe the poor choose to be poor.

The rich are not assholes regardless of how the media portrays them. They simply share a common trait of humanity, the inability to look at the world through a different set of eyes.

Let them eat cake

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I'd happily bet $100 dollars that your 6 out of 10 figure is either wildly exaggerated or completely made up.

I too have seen the effects of easy money on the average person. I wouldn't be surprised if the level of drug use wasn't higher than 6 out of 10.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006

Well, since he capitalized Coke he probably meant they got hooked on Coca-Cola

This has to be the most naive thing I've read for a while.

Wait...what? If him posting about his personal experiences is naive then you must know the same people he does. Just out of curiosity - how many of the people he was referring to do you know?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
"Hey Mr. Billionaire! We have a nice warm guillotine waiting for you when the revolution comes."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...force-millions-to-reveal-personal-wealth.html

Lib Dem emergency tax may force millions to reveal personal wealth

Millions of people would be forced to disclose the value of their homes, investments and assets under Liberal Democrat plans for an emergency tax on wealth.

The debate in Britain mirrors the central debate in America’s presidential election: how much to tax the rich. Obama has called for raising their taxes. Romney calls for cutting them.

Britain's tax distribution is less progressive than America's, with the top 1 percent paying about 24 percent of the total income taxes in the U.K. In the United States, the same group pays more than 35 percent. The top 10 percent in Britain pays 55 percent of income taxes, while in America the top 10 percent pays 59 percent. (Read more: Wealthy Voters May Like Romney Even More Now)

But Britain’s example can be used by both Republicans and Democrats as fuel for their arguments. Republicans can argue that Britain’s tax hike on high incomes didn’t help their recovery, since their economy is still weak. Democrats can argue that the austerity measures imposed in Britain have prolonged their recession and that the tax hike was abandoned too quickly.

Either way, the debate over taxing the rich is starting to sound familiar around the world.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
I too have seen the effects of easy money on the average person. I wouldn't be surprised if the level of drug use wasn't higher than 6 out of 10.

There's lots of money to be made on Wall Street but it's far from easy. People who are starting off in big finance work very, very hard.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
The vast majority of Americans don't work nearly as hard as most of the people I know who went into investment banking.

BWAHAHAHA OOOHHHH ok, i dont mean to personally attack you, but that is the absolute worst thing ive ever read. you have NO CLUE. get a construction job that barely pays the bills and leaves your body in shambles THEN SAY WHAT YOU JUST SAID. you wouldnt. holy christ was that bad. you have moments to take that statement back and there better be an apology with it.

Jeffg010

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2008
Man this thread is a hoot the only way to make it rich is to rack up lots of debt so you can buy an M3 and donate tons of money to your favorite dog charity while wearing your $300 sunglasses because that is the American way of doing it, debt, debt and more debt.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
BWAHAHAHA OOOHHHH ok, i dont mean to personally attack you, but that is the absolute worst thing ive ever read. you have NO CLUE. get a construction job that barely pays the bills and leaves your body in shambles THEN SAY WHAT YOU JUST SAID. you wouldnt. holy christ was that bad. you have moments to take that statement back and there better be an apology with it.

Most Americans aren't working in construction. Hell, around here most of that work is done my South Americans of questionable immigration status because the typical person from the US is too lazy for it.

There are some exceptions to this. In my experience the typical plumber/electrician/HVAC contractor or any other skilled blue collar worker who runs his own business works his ass off. I have tons of respect for people like that. They are not typical Americans though. A much more "average" American worker is the shitty receptionist at your doctor's office who can barely be bothered to get off of Facebook.

I don't think particularly highly of the work that people in big money finance do (are companies like Goldman Sachs producing products or services of any real value? No.) but people who work at companies like that put in loooong hours of drudgery.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
and the rest of America doesn't work hard at their jobs?

Just because you physically work hard doesn't mean you are entitled to be rich.

Wealth is a measure of how much benefit you create for society.

What value to society does a man digging ditches with a spoon offer compared to an engineer who designs and maintains tractors with a pencil and sliderule at a desk?