Billionaire Tells Non-Rich Drink Less, Work More

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
LOL, I was going to post this.

She's the richest person in Australia, born into a billionaire family.

She's a total nutter.

NO ONE on minimum wage is wasting money on alcohol and socializing. If you had family you couldn't live on $600 a week.

Average rent here is around $400+ a week, so you don't have a lot left over after paying that.

Silly Aussie, poor folks here don't have "families" - illegitimacy rates here are sky high in the inner city, over half of black children grow up without fathers in their lives, and marriage rates among the poor are similarly abysmal.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
Pro tip: I don't care if people take me seriously. I'm not an objectivist and disagree with a lot of what she says, but that quote is spot on; almost universally when someone asks you to sacrifice it's because they intend to benefit from it.

While I'm sure that's your favorite masturbatory fantasy, I'm not that worried about it. You see, "they" would burn down the progressive cities and houses of people like you. That's why you have things like the LA riots, and Watts riots, and Detroit riots - you'll notice a pattern here where predominantly white suburbs don't show up? See, that's the thing about being poor, you don't have a car or the money to get out to where the evil Republicans live.

You forgot to say the "N" word.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
It's entirely racial to Alky. Which is why I responded to his post, not yours. So see your way the fuck out of it. Thanks.

Assuming that's true, you're stooping to the same level. I know you're really emotional right now, but just remember you're not in a PM conversation so other people can see what you post.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Come here and say that to my face bitch

I don't smoke, don't drink and work my fuxking ass off.

I'm sure you can find me here easily.

Come here and tell me your wisdom to my face.

That's funny, aren't you the one in here always telling the Billionairs to leave the country? Now they are telling your lazy ass what to do.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
She was born into billions of dollars. Why would anyone take what she says seriously? She sounds like a nasty piece of work and everything that is wrong with humanity. People like her would exploit your kids without a second thought if laws weren't around to protect them, so those of you defending her may want to think about that.

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
I will say that while her statement was impolitic, it was still good advice.

I know some very wealthy (i.e., private jet money) people, and know others who can't pay the rent on their modest apartments. In general the rich people I know work their asses off, whereas the people who are struggling spend a lot more time worrying than they do working. In general it has been my experience that, at least in this country (I know Ms. Rinehart is not an American), if you apply yourself you can and will be successful.

This has to be the most naive thing I've read for a while.

Oct 30, 2004
Billionaire who was probably a member of the Lucky Sperm Club shouts "Let them eat cake!"

"There's plenty of opportunity! Just work hard, get a good education, and good things will happen to you because we live in a Meritocracy!"

It must be easy to become disconnected from reality when you have $1 billion in the bank and no longer have to worry about getting or holding a job.

Last edited:

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Billionaire who was probably a member of the Lucky Sperm Club shouts "Let them eat cake!"

"There's plenty of opportunity! Just work hard, get a good education, and good things will happen to you because we live in a Meritocracy!"

It must be easy to become disconnected from reality when you have $1 billion in the bank and no longer have to worry about getting or holding a bjo.

So telling someone to lay off the booze and crack pipe is the new "let them eat cake"? Holy crap, with "friends" like you, it's no wonder the poor are so fucked up.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
So telling someone to lay off the booze and crack pipe is the new "let them eat cake"? Holy crap, with "friends" like you, it's no wonder the poor are so fucked up.

She didn't say anything about the poor. I could make $200k a year and complain about the 1% and her quote would fit me too.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
She didn't say anything about the poor. I could make $200k a year and complain about the 1% and her quote would fit me too.

No argument there. Substance abuse is generally not the ideal attribute to have if you're trying to become wealthy (with outliers like Charlie Sheen excepted).

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
There's something unsavory about a woman who inherits a fortune telling those less fortunate off.

Of course conservatives embrace her.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Silly Aussie, poor folks here don't have "families" - illegitimacy rates here are sky high in the inner city, over half of black children grow up without fathers in their lives, and marriage rates among the poor are similarly abysmal.

Those who have always had money, even if they made most of it themselves, tend to think of poor people as lacking in intelligence and drive. In effect, they believe the poor choose to be poor.

Hmm. I am seeing a choice there. If you choose to have children with thug men who will more than likely end up in prison. Then yes you choose to be poor.

Although really maybe what she should have said is "screw less, work more".

EDIT: Judging by the picture it certainly worked for her.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
No argument there. Substance abuse is generally not the ideal attribute to have if you're trying to become wealthy (with outliers like Charlie Sheen excepted).

Cocaine use, for example, is very prevalent in wall street. You have no idea what you're talking about.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Cocaine use, for example, is very prevalent in wall street. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Did they start the use of it before or after they became wealthy? If before, can you name the wealthy people who started using cocaine when they were poor and still managed to become wealthy?

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Did they start the use of it before or after they became wealthy? If before, can you name the wealthy people who started using cocaine when they were poor and still managed to become wealthy?

Not everyone is a millionaire on wall street and cocaine use isn't an impediment to becoming one.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Not everyone is a millionaire on wall street and cocaine use isn't an impediment to becoming one.

So we've gone from "let them eat cake" to "you're not rich because you're drinking alcohol rather than snorting coke."

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011

So you do not have any proof that using cocaine will not prevent you from becoming a millionaire...you want us to just trust you and take what you say on faith as if it is true.

No thanks. Support your claim or admit it is your opinion.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
This has to be the most naive thing I've read for a while.

No it's not. The vast majority of people who're really struggling in the US have either made some really poor decisions or are simply not very intelligent.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
No it's not. The vast majority of people who're really struggling in the US have either made some really poor decisions or are simply not very intelligent.

Which describes the Republican electorate perfectly. Too stupid to realize the people they vote for don't give a rat's ass about them. But at least they're not n****rs!