Billionaire George Soros launches get-out-the-vote effort against Bush..

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
I just read about this in today's local paper and found the following link...

Link

Soros said Friday he has donated $10 million to start Americans Coming Together, or ACT, an organization intended to rally voters in 17 battleground states, against Bush's re-election. The group expects to raise at least $75 million and employ hundreds of election organizers by November 2004.

"I believe deeply in the values of an open society. For the past 15 years I have focused my energies on fighting for these values abroad," said Soros, who donated $1 billion to pro-democracy efforts in Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union. "Now I am doing it in the United States."

"The fate of the world depends on the United States and President Bush is leading us in the wrong direction," he said in a statement from his New York investment office. "The Bush doctrine is both false and dangerous. The rest of the world is having an allergic reaction to it, as we have seen in Iraq. We need to change direction."

:)

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
Perhaps Mr. Soros is mad at the GWB administration because Mr. Soros hedged against a weak dollar? :D

Regardless, every little bit of money helps.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
He should be able to buy a lot of cigarettes with that much money ala. Constance Milstein.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Is it just me or should Foreigners not be contibuting $$$ wise to our politics. Seems wrong.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
Originally posted by: charrison
Hey I thought the democrats were against large cash donors?

That was one of bush's promises also but he has yet to act upon it.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: outriding

Any official running for any office cannot collect more than $2000 from any individual. This includes Bush.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Zebo
Is it just me or should Foreigners not be contibuting $$$ wise to our politics. Seems wrong.

Since the US loves to meddle in everyone elses business, I don't see why others can't meddle with our business. I'm encouraged to see that billionaires are against Bush. We already have Buffet and Soros.

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000

Any official running for any office cannot collect more than $2000 from any individual. This includes Bush.

But what stops an individual from doling out $2000 checks to friends and family who in turn go to a Bush/Cheney fundraiser armed with their own $2000 checks? And why would Bush make a fundraising category of "Ranger" for those who "raise" $20K or more for him? I think Kenneth Starr has reached that oh so desirable status.

The campaign finance reform act was just largely for show.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
is this the same george soros whe hedged against the dollar?

Is this the same george soros (jewish) who's father (also Jewish) went around central europe, during the nazi occupation, and bought jewish property at firesale prices as they were being dragged to a concentration camp or escaping from nazi terror?

Is this the same george soros who benefitted from such a heinous act?

Noooooo, it can't be.

zantac

Jun 15, 2003

25k a year from individuals or a PAC

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: zantac

25k a year from individuals or a PAC

2k a year a year per person. I dont know the limits on a pac.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: MonstaThrilla

But what stops an individual from doling out $2000 checks to friends and family who in turn go to a Bush/Cheney fundraiser armed with their own $2000 checks? And why would Bush make a fundraising category of "Ranger" for those who "raise" $20K or more for him? I think Kenneth Starr has reached that oh so desirable status.

The campaign finance reform act was just largely for show.

This tactic of fundraising is not new or only used by the republicans. With any system there are loopholes. For the very reasion you mention, is the reason i think campaign finance reform is a hopeless task. 2k per person per year is not a unresonably high amount to donate to a politician.
I did the math on one of Bush's fundraising events events and the average doner was only $300.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002

Did George Soros donate that money to any democratic candidate? Read the article, it is his money and he can do whatever he wants with it, run media campaign against Bush or push voter turn out or spread his ideals.

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000

This tactic of fundraising is not new or only used by the republicans. With any system there are loopholes. For the very reasion you mention, is the reason i think campaign finance reform is a hopeless task. 2k per person per year is not a unresonably high amount to donate to a politician.
I did the math on one of Bush's fundraising events events and the average doner was only $300.

Huh? Which event was that? I thought the only events so far were all dinners that were $2000 a head.

I pointed that loophole out because you were acting like the $2000 per person limit would actually be followed, including by Bush's supporters. Obviously its not.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: rchiu

Did George Soros donate that money to any democratic candidate? Read the article, it is his money and he can do whatever he wants with it, run media campaign against Bush or push voter turn out or spread his ideals.

Your right he can. It is his money he can do what he wants. But my point has been historiically the democratic party has been against large cash donors.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Huh? Which event was that? I thought the only events so far were all dinners that were $2000 a head.

I pointed that loophole out because you were acting like the $2000 per person limit would actually be followed, including by Bush's supporters. Obviously its not.

I dont recall, it was on CNN a couple weeks ago. I took the number the amount raised and divided by the number of donors and it was $300.

Do you have any proof that the $2000 limit is not being followed by individuals?

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000

I dont recall, it was on CNN a couple weeks ago. I took the number the amount raised and divided by the number of donors and it was $300.

Do you have any proof that the $2000 limit is not being followed by individuals?

Of course I don't have any proof. I'm not connected to the rich Republican establishment. I was merely pointing out a possible loophole, that it COULD BE and WOULD BE taken advantage of.

I didn't point out a specific case and don't have the facts to back it up. All the articles I can find on Bush/Cheney fundraisers are about $2000/head dinners.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002

Your right he can. It is his money he can do what he wants. But my point has been historiically the democratic party has been against large cash donors.

Again, the key word is donation. He did not donate money to anyone. He just use his money to put his ideas into action, what is wrong with that?

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Perhaps it's just my nature but I just don't like negative campaigning. To me it make far more sense to contribute to a candidate you support. To contribute to an organization designed to knock someone down seems dastardly.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Dari

Is this the same george soros (jewish) who's father (also Jewish) went around central europe, during the nazi occupation, and bought jewish property at firesale prices as they were being dragged to a concentration camp or escaping from nazi terror?

Noooooo, it can't be.

Better late to repent by doing something really worthwhile than never repenting or never doing something worthwhile.

Maybe you can add: Is this the same George Soros who helped oust Bush in '04?

I hope so..

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Again, the key word is donation. He did not donate money to anyone. He just use his money to put his ideas into action, what is wrong with that?

As i said before, nothing.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: LunarRay
Originally posted by: Dari

Noooooo, it can't be.

Better late to repent by doing something really worthwhile than never repenting or never doing something worthwhile.

Maybe you can add: Is this the same George Soros who helped oust Bush in '04?

I hope so..

Strange that you think he's repenting, when the man is trying to put the bush administration out of commission. He's a greedy bastard who's own greed got the better of him. That dollar hedge cost him a lot. And the buying of jewish property is utterly disgusting and repugnant.

Maybe your right, the mention of his name (soros) in the democratic endgame will (hopefully) lead to massive losses at the poll.