Billionaire donors and thier candidates.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sanders and Trump both got 0 dollars from elite Billionaires.
Wow this chart says it all. It was supposed to Bush/Clinton 2016 until Trump ruined the party.

Sadly the DNC was better prepared to insure that Sanders got neutralized. The GOP dropped the ball.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chloeso...presidential-candidate-drop-out/#6bdfc82f52b6

Donor-Number-1200x1136.jpg

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
That is why Trump is the best choice now, not because he's an awesome candidate, but because the others are in someone's pocket. That's how shitty today's politics is.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
That is why Trump is the best choice now, not because he's an awesome candidate, but because the others are in someone's pocket. That's how shitty today's politics is.

First, neither is Sanders. Second, I'm still not convinced we gain anything by voting for one of the puppet masters instead of one of their puppets. I guess with Trump we get to see exactly who is behind the curtain, but we still get the same agenda.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
So, you're saying that if you're running for office, and a billionaire offers to donate a couple thousand to help out your campaign, that you're going to refuse them? Or, will you take the money to help your campaign, in which case, you've just declared yourself in the billionaire's pocket? How about campaign contributions from millionaires? Does that put you in their pocket? How about campaign contributions from middle class people? Does that put you in their pocket?

Or, are you going to run a campaign with absolutely no contributions by people who may happen to believe your message?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Bernie Sanders is outspending Hillary like 3:1 right now and is poised to be functionally knocked out of the race tonight.

between that and Jeb!'s failure, are we entering an age where money in politics just doesn't matter? who needs campaign finance reform when money can't buy elections?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Who didn't donate very much, considering his net worth (or alleged net worth).

Supposedly, he donated some 20 million of his own debt--er wealth--to his campaign, because it can be written off or something after the convention?

Not sure how this works, but it turns out that in the end, he paid himself even less than he actually did. :D

But despite his hilariously inaccurate and wandering stories about nothing at his rallies, he has received about $7.5million in donations so far--but those are all small donors supposedly.

Still, he's run an extremely cheap campaign...which isn't too difficult when your entire platform consists of puffing, high school-level class president promises, and hiring not a single expert on anything to advise him about the vast array of things that he clearly doesn't understand. :D

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
Trump loaned his campaign money. Its a loan, so the campaign will eventually pay him back.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
First, neither is Sanders. Second, I'm still not convinced we gain anything by voting for one of the puppet masters instead of one of their puppets. I guess with Trump we get to see exactly who is behind the curtain, but we still get the same agenda.

It is all about limiting the damage and getting something.

At least with Trump you know he has not puppet masters. Obviously he wants to wet his beak but I think it will primarily less damaging things. VS more wars.

I also suspect his Ego will come into play and just to be able to tell the naysayers they were wrong, he will probably try and at least do some good things for the country.

Someone like Hillary will only do what is right for hillary and her backers. Which I find more concerning.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
Bernie Sanders is outspending Hillary like 3:1 right now and is poised to be functionally knocked out of the race tonight.

between that and Jeb!'s failure, are we entering an age where money in politics just doesn't matter? who needs campaign finance reform when money can't buy elections?

It still matters, Trump was a black swan event.

It was supposed to be a Bush/Clinton race.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I'm curious as to who Drumpf will get to support him in getting his agenda done if he were to win.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Sanders and Trump both got 0 dollars from elite Billionaires.
Wow this chart says it all. It was supposed to Bush/Clinton 2016 until Trump ruined the party.

Sadly the DNC was better prepared to insure that Sanders got neutralized. The GOP dropped the ball.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chloeso...presidential-candidate-drop-out/#6bdfc82f52b6

Donor-Number-1200x1136.jpg
So out of 69 billionaire megadonors, 52 gave to candidates no longer even in the race and 4 to candidates who might as well not be? That's oddly comforting. :D

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Bush and Clinton.
Betting on good old brand recognition.

well, Trump has 1 billionaire donor.
I think a business would call that "efficient vertical integration."

Supposedly, he donated some 20 million of his own debt--er wealth--to his campaign, because it can be written off or something after the convention?

Not sure how this works, but it turns out that in the end, he paid himself even less than he actually did. :D

But despite his hilariously inaccurate and wandering stories about nothing at his rallies, he has received about $7.5million in donations so far--but those are all small donors supposedly.

Still, he's run an extremely cheap campaign...which isn't too difficult when your entire platform consists of puffing, high school-level class president promises, and hiring not a single expert on anything to advise him about the vast array of things that he clearly doesn't understand. :D
He's already spent many years establishing his brand name, which helped in that regard.
I don't think Sanders was too well-known outside his home state.
Clinton's got plenty of brand recognition already, and surely many votes based solely on gender.

It still matters, Trump was a black swan event.

It was supposed to be a Bush/Clinton race.
History has the hiccups.
Who's next in the Bush lineup? Chelsea's Clinton's still out there, so there's still hope for more Bush/Clinton competitions in the future.

Last edited:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

Money matters to a certain extent, but that's it. IMO, its importance and ability to influence has been greatly overstated.

Fern