Billionaire comes to aid of woman begging for her life on corner

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
So by your rationale, if you ever do anything nice for anyone, you're still an arsehole because you could have done so much more?
Need is infinite. Resources are not. There are plenty of people here who can't do the math on this problem.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
You know for someone who is in dire economic straits she's fairly attractive. I wonder how generous the billionaire would have been if she was unattractive?

It's impolitic to say but first impressions do matter when it comes to personal interactions and appearance is a part of that.

I do like the way this story ended though.

However, this is a fairly unique story that is counter-balanced by the multi-hundreds millionaires and billionaires who contribute to Lobbyists and Super Pacs to ensure that Wall Street and Banks aren't regulated as much and to keep top marginal taxes lower.

Need is infinite.

That's the thing people often confuse desires with needs. This woman's plight is an example of true need. As in if she doesn't get a stem cell treatment she'll likely die.

There is probably more resources available to meet true needs than we're willing to realize because too many people are confusing the two.

Last edited:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
it's a nice story.

but perhaps he could have taken a more conservative approach and offered her a job with health insurance instead of a handout ;)

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
it's a nice story.

but perhaps he could have taken a more conservative approach and offered her a job with health insurance instead of a handout ;)
I don't think health insurance would cover an unapproved treatment in a foreign country.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
good god.

no wonder people call this the cesspool of anandtech. the guy does something good and you people are bitching?

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
That's the thing people often confuse desires with needs. This woman's plight is an example of true need. As in if she doesn't get a stem cell treatment she'll likely die.

There is probably more resources available to meet true needs than we're willing to realize because too many people are confusing the two.
The misunderstanding is completely on your end. The proof I offer is that all of the richest persons from history have died despite having ridiculous amounts of resources. Surely at least one of them would keep have kept himself alive if his seemingly limitless resources could meet all of his needs? The bottom line is that everyone dies. Trying to keep everyone alive is unnatural and very, very expensive. While I'm not arguing to let young people die just to save money, no progress will be made until people realize this simple slice of reality.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
After reading the OP, I expected some positive feedback re the story. I guess I just don't learn....

At any rate, thanks Dave, nice story.

You don't expect better of the United States?

There is nothing "nice" about this story.

There are so many things wrong where do I even start:

1) The woman should not be in this situation to begin with if the health system of the U.S. wasn't the garbage that it is.

2) Stem Cell research and procedures should not be shunned like it is the U.S. and is embraced by the rest of the world.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
You don't expect better of the United States?

There is nothing "nice" about this story.

There are so many things wrong where do I even start:

1) The woman should not be in this situation to begin with if the health system of the U.S. wasn't the garbage that it is.

2) Stem Cell research and procedures should not be shunned like it is the U.S. and is embraced by the rest of the world.

3) She got ill in the first place

4) Surely medical science should have advanced to the point where everything is curable.

Or... maybe... the world isn't perfect, certain things you just have to accept aren't going to be right (or, if you don't accept them, trying to do something to resolve them instead of bitching on a forum about them).

So, the situation is, this woman had a health problem that she probably stood next to zero chance of getting sorted with her own resources and skills, when the chance in a million came along and some rich guy just gives her all the money she needs to get that problem sorted. Most people would think "hey, that's a nice story".

But not you. First of all, all/most rich people are bastards in your book. When you fail to counter the points that people have put forward against yours, you shift your target to "the government are a bunch of bastards". My god, if anything particularly bad ever happened to you (say a debilitating accident or a chronic health problem), we'd never hear the end of it. Whether something could be done about it or not, you would probably spend the rest of your life blaming someone or something rather than just accepting what you have and getting the hell on with it and trying to make the most of it.

The last lines from my favourite poem (desiderata):

With all its shams, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

---

A guy does something very nice, which probably won't be of much direct personal benefit to him, and likely saves a life as a result, and you're spending your time trying to paint the whole story as something bad. What is wrong with you?

Last edited:

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
3) She got ill in the first place

4) Surely medical science should have advanced to the point where everything is curable.

Or... maybe... the world isn't perfect, certain things you just have to accept aren't going to be right (or, if you don't accept them, trying to do something to resolve them instead of bitching on a forum about them).

So, the situation is, this woman had a health problem that she probably stood next to zero chance of getting sorted with her own resources and skills, when the chance in a million came along and some rich guy just gives her all the money she needs to get that problem sorted. Most people would think "hey, that's a nice story".

But not you. First of all, all/most rich people are bastards in your book. When you fail to counter the points that people have put forward against yours, you shift your target to "the government are a bunch of bastards". My god, if anything particularly bad ever happened to you (say a debilitating accident or a chronic health problem), we'd never hear the end of it. Whether something could be done about it or not, you would probably spend the rest of your life blaming someone or something rather than just accepting what you have and getting the hell on with it and trying to make the most of it.

The last lines from my favourite poem (desiderata):

With all its shams, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

---

A guy does something very nice, which probably won't be of much direct personal benefit to him, and likely saves a life as a result, and you're spending your time trying to paint the whole story as something bad. What is wrong with you?

Blah blah blah

So back to the point.

Do you not expect better from the United States or should people just die when they get sick if they are not rich?

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006

She doesn't need health insurance. Anyone with end stage renal failure is automatically eligible for Medicare.

This woman was not saved from imminent death, Medicare would have covered kidney dialysis.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Even the rich get sick and die. Jobs was VERY rich and he died from a disease. Dmcowen's point fails miserably using commonly known information.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
That dude is awesome. He donated a HUGE area of land in a nearby town to the town, the only stipulation being that they use it for children's entertainment and sports. It now has 2 soccer fields, 3 baseball diamonds and a giant ass playground. All paid for by Ty Warner.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
That dude is awesome. He donated a HUGE area of land in a nearby town to the town, the only stipulation being that they use it for children's entertainment and sports. It now has 2 soccer fields, 3 baseball diamonds and a giant ass playground. All paid for by Ty Warner.

very cool. Thats a good use of the money!

it gives the kids something to do at no burden to the tax payer! wooo!

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000

Using Dave's logic he's now responsible for every pain anyone suffers as a result of that property. That asshole is hurting children!

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
Exactly

If she survives long after the procedure she will still have to worry about money.

If anything he has made her life a living hell.

He could have made sure she never has to worry about money again just like himself.

So it's his responsibility to set her up for life since he gave her the money to save her life in the first place? It's not enough that the money he donated will SAVE HER LIFE, he also has to ensure she has an awesome life from now on?

I knew your logic was twisted, but I don't know how anyone could fail at logic this badly.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Without the billions the rich give to charities due to tax incentives, they would all shut down.

Fixed that for you!

Although it's a jest, I wonder just how much giving there would be from the rich without the tax write off incentive.