Billboard Hot 100 #1s that you love or impacted you significantly

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Long as you enjoy her music that's the only thing that really matters. :)
I have the need to understand the "nuts and bolts". Hence...I bought an 86 CD Beethoven set...biggest lesson there...Beethoven could arrange music.

I put Eminence Front on months of repeat listening for the same reason.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Vincent is better for me. And I don't think it's the best song ever.

Exactly the song my mom loved off the album...and risked punishment from Commies for. That's the one she'd loop on super loud in the car.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Didn't say it's a popular opinion or even terrible. I said it's absurd and silly :D But honestly, when I see that comment next to a Pantera song, come on. Plus, it's on most songs I see. Music isn't the reason you survived a rough time in your life. It's a bit silly to put that faith in music and not yourself or those around you that may have helped.
There are real physical effects.

Not to mention the presentation of whatever concept in the song is precisely why it can heal.

I was going to put some explanation as to the why for some songs I listed.

Reactions: Captante

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Some of the songs I included are because I heard them in the "primoridal times" of early childhood. Songs I didn't know who but I could recognize them.

Sweet Dreams, I actually somehow managed to remember the title.
How Am I Supposed to Live Without You, I didn't know at all. Michael Bolton was just someone referenced in Office Space but I didn't know he wrote and sang that song. But, when JoJo did her Masked Singer cover of that song, well, that song was somehow all too familiar.
The Sign and All That She Wants were also such songs.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

Curious about your contempt for Billie Eilish.
Well, I was just curious about the music scene in 2019 at the time. A laceration gave me some free time to just do stuff to fill the time, and I had come across "Old Town Road" earlier in the year. So I came across some article mentioning her.

Her way of singing triggers what can only be described as an allergic reaction. I gave her a fair shot. Tried listening to that album. The experience just became so bad....I just had to stop.

Generally speaking...I'm rather neutral towards music. If it's something I don't grasp...I just don't feel anything. But Eilish...I could not handle the torture.

I literally feel the life force being sucked out of me. Like if I continue with the exposure...I'm setting myself up for my own postmodern version of a funeral. I feel a deathly cryptic white room enter my imagination.

Also, she challenged my mind to toe the line between expressing contempt without uttering falsehoods myself, like saying she can't sing. Yes she can, it is just the most perfectly abominable way possible for my mind.

That boy got some ugly teeth issue, it seems. He can't sing either. At least Eilish can hit the notes.

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Tsinni Dave

Mar 1, 2022
There are real physical effects.

Not to mention the presentation of whatever concept in the song is precisely why it can heal.

I was going to put some explanation as to the why for some songs I listed.
I remember a CBC radio blurb about how Stevie Wonder's Superstition was surprisingly helpful in rehabilitating patients relearning to walk, regardless of whether they had ever heard the song before.

Nov 20, 2009
I dunno about the 'hot 100' as this is something that is constantly changing. But, checking my balls at the door and accepting a complimentary pair of overlies ... I'm still not participating.

• Haha

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I remember a CBC radio blurb about how Stevie Wonder's Superstition was surprisingly helpful in rehabilitating patients relearning to walk, regardless of whether they had ever heard the song before.

Energetic music played in the car has also been shown to improve drivers hand-eye reaction times.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Energetic music played in the car has also been shown to improve drivers hand-eye reaction times.

Stayin’ Alive for CPR.

It also topped the charts and I forgot to list it.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Very few extremely popular songs have had much effect on me so the list is short.... here are a few that immediately occur:

(1) Beatles ~ A Day in the life

(2) Queen ~ Bohemian Rhapsody

(3) Gary Jules ~ Mad World

(4) REM ~ Everybody Hurts

(5) Peter Gabriel ~ Biko :cry:

Will add to list as I recall more. :)
Mad World is a Tears for Fears classic! That Jules guy just did a poor remake.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
True but I like the Gary Jules version better anyway. ;)

Btw music like any art form is 100% subjective.
Subjective....but not without attempts at "standards-making".

Polemics and all other forms of declarations always manages to come up in some form, be it amongst musicians themselves or the populace. There was lots of heat put down on paper on how music should be in the 19th century.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Subjective....but not without attempts at "standards-making".

Polemics and all other forms of declarations always manages to come up in some form, be it amongst musicians themselves or the populace. There was lots of heat put down on paper on how music should be in the 19th century.

AND what people like is what they like. ;)

(you're WAY over-thinking this!)

overthinking-looks-like.gif

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
AND what people like is what they like. ;)

(you're WAY over-thinking this!)

overthinking-looks-like.gif
I am merely pointing out observations of humans doing human things.

Except manifestations have had real world consequences, such as the death of disco.

Well, even composers themselves start hating one of their own works. Like Beethoven and his Septet, where he stated he wished it was burned. Thus highlighting the ever present tension between popularity and often "lighter works" vs more "deep" and "cerebral" matters of composition.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Generally speaking...I'm rather neutral towards music. If it's something I don't grasp...I just don't feel anything. But Eilish...I could not handle the torture.

I literally feel the life force being sucked out of me. Like if I continue with the exposure...I'm setting myself up for my own postmodern version of a funeral. I feel a deathly cryptic white room enter my imagination.
I'm a bit on the other side, as far back as memory goes music has been an important thing in my life. There are songs I've been listening to for over two decades that can still give me goosebumps (Tori Amos' "Silent All These Years" is a good example).
However, most of the songs in your OP are ones I would prefer to never hear again :D
I don't want to trawl through important songs to me to see which ones hit #1 though.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I'm a bit on the other side, as far back as memory goes music has been an important thing in my life. There are songs I've been listening to for over two decades that can still give me goosebumps (Tori Amos' "Silent All These Years" is a good example).
However, most of the songs in your OP are ones I would prefer to never hear again :D
I don't want to trawl through important songs to me to see which ones hit #1 though.
Music has impacted me. Just that for everyone but Billie Eilish(and maybe Brahms) and who are not in my shrine of sacred cows...I just don't have feelings either way.

I don't hate rap. I would not listen at its intended volume but I think some value can be obtained hearing a few tracks. I tried to listen to one of those albums DigDog listed in a previous thread. I just felt nothing for the first listen. Then again, I need repeat listens to really like or dislike something. My first viewing of Frozen was like that...the songs came in and out...but somehow...they stuck and then I got sucked in.

Maybe you should listen to Brahms. Since I don't like him that much....you probably will. :p

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Anachronistic marketing from a time when radio was the gateway to new music for most people. The most popular music was the music shoveled out by major record companies. Those with the biggest shovels determined the tallest piles of manure.
Snobbish philistine detected.;)

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Anachronistic marketing from a time when radio was the gateway to new music for most people. The most popular music was the music shoveled out by major record companies. Those with the biggest shovels determined the tallest piles of manure.
payola baby!

Reactions: nakedfrog