Billboard Hot 100 #1s that you love or impacted you significantly

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I gotta bunch but off the top of my head, in no order

How Am I Supposed to Live Without You - must have heard it as a kid but don't know where....
Sweet Dreams
American Pie
Hotel California
Heaven is A Place on Eart
The Boy Is Mine
Emotions
I Will Survive
Up Where We Belong
Every Breath You Take
I Don't Wanna Cry
My Prerogative
The Sign
Together Again
All My Life
I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing
Smooth
Rolling In The Deep
Old Town Road(impact only)
Stronger(Kelly Clarkson)
Somebody That I Used to Know
Havana
Bad Guy(Because of my contempt towards the artist is unlike any other, thus it is impactful in a negative manner)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Very few extremely popular songs have had much effect on me so the list is short.... here are a few that immediately occur:

*(NOT necessarily in order of preference AFTER number one!)

(1) Beatles ~ A Day in the life

(2) Queen ~ Bohemian Rhapsody

(3) Gary Jules *(Tears for Fears) ~ Mad World

(4) REM ~ Everybody Hurts

(5) Peter Gabriel ~ Biko :cry:

Will add to list as I recall more. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tsinni Dave
Nov 17, 2019
Songs that stuck with me, list or not ....

Ohio
Eve Of Destruction
For What It's Worth
Somewhere In America

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I was expecting this to be another Mariah Carey thread...
I was slow to the Mariah fandom. I heard Fantasy in "Rush Hour" but didn't pay it any mind for approximately 15 years. Then I "discovered" it was sung by Mariah Carey and after that novelty...another 3 years passed. It wasn't until 2020 that I heard Always Be My Baby and then proceed to immediately buy the album Daydream...but I haven't bothered to open the CD. I didn't even proceed through her discography until the end of December 2021.

Now though it "LAMB MODE, ACTIVATE!!!!".

And yeah, I did forgot one song on the list.

;):smilingimp:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
"American Pie" and "The Boy Is Mine" were two tracks I heard frequent on the way to summer camp back in the day.

Unlikely pairing, but they are paired together in my mind.

American Pie the album would result in an unexpected connection with my mother...because the family smuggled it into China and listened to it, as she recognized "Starry, Starry Night". Her favorites are not mine. I prefer Winterwood.

Last edited:

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I was slow to the Mariah fandom. I heard Fantasy in "Rush Hour" but didn't pay it any mind for approximately 15 years. Then I "discovered" it was sung by Mariah Carey and after that novelty...another 3 years passed. It wasn't until 2020 that I heard Always Be My Baby and then proceed to immediately buy the album Daydream...but I haven't bothered to open the CD. I didn't even proceed through her discography until the end of December 2021.

Now though it "LAMB MODE, ACTIVATE!!!!".

And yeah, I did forgot one song on the list.

;):smilingimp:

Did you know she lifted the beat from Genius of Love?

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
While musical tastes are 100% subjective and purely matters of personal taste, assessing technical musical talent is far less so.

It's fine to like Mariah Carey and for her to be a person's "favorite" artist... the only criticism that can be given to that statement would be purely a personal attack on the posters opinion/tastes.

However comparing pop-star Mariah Carey's actual influence on music or her composing skills to Bach or Mozart (or the likes of the Beatles, Nirvana, Michael Jackson & maybe even Madonna!) is laughable sorry.

EDIT: Lets see how many Mariah Carey songs beyond maybe that heinous X'mas "meme-song" ANYONE recalls in any way 50 years from now. (The Beatles have their own dedicated Sirius/XM channel plus still get DAILY radio-play on FM and extensive streaming)

Last edited:
Reactions: snoopy7548

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
While musical tastes are 100% subjective and purely matters of personal taste, assessing technical musical talent is far less so.

It's fine to like Mariah Carey and for her to be a person's "favorite" artist... the only criticism that can be given to that statement would be purely a personal attack on the posters opinion/tastes.

However comparing pop-star Mariah Carey's actual influence on music or her composing skills to Bach or Mozart (or the likes of the Beatles, Nirvana, Michael Jackson & maybe even Madonna!) is laughable sorry.

EDIT: Lets see how many Mariah Carey songs beyond maybe that heinous X'mas "meme-song" ANYONE recalls in any way 50 years from now. (The Beatles have their own dedicated Sirius/XM channel plus still get DAILY radio-play on FM and extensive streaming)
I listen to music like I do with Mozart. Out of historical context because I'm late to the show. Therefore, it is predominantly the arrangement of notes themselves that make it a yes or no.
She impacted the music world like Beethoven. The ones exposed to her are inspired and tried to emulate the initial master.

The rapper+singer collab has become part and parcel, much like the scherzo became acceptable and standard operating procedure from his/her time onwards.

The music of Mozart is the most difficult of all to comprehend due to the simplicity and leanness of what is present in the score. You're So Cold, as a musical effort, brings the 18th century into the last decade of the 20th, using two of the simplest yet effective features of "Mozartean features", the "Mannheim sigh" and the rhythm of an 8th rest followed by three eight notes and then a final note on the beat. Before you condemn based on period alone, the efforts of the likes of Perahia, Barenboim, etc to write candenzas for Mozart concertos can be generally deemed noble efforts, but utter musical failures that simply could not emulate the master. Only Geza Anda seems to have some sense of musicality...

Mozart's lane includes opera, of which coloratura and fioritura was expected and demanded from both the men and women of the day.

With the likes of Kelly Clarkson and Beyonce citing Mariah as an influence, there is no doubt the female population will preserve her legacy even if most males simply overlook her. Of course, JoJo is obviously influence by her. But even Britney Spears actually display some "agile melisma" in her first album.

In the hands of Mozart, the "unit" become the singer. Anyone who eventually listens to Mozart starts to realize that the orchestra/piano/violin starts sounding like singer. Thus, even in orchestral sections, they can display a flash of virtuosity with a "run", such as the opening duet of the Marriage of Figaro, where the opera singers don't do the runs, but the orchestra does.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Mariah Carey may well have influenced YOUR world to the same degree as Bach, Mozart or the Beatles but you don't have much in the way of company!

;)

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Mariah Carey may well have influenced YOUR world to the same degree as Bach, Mozart or the Beatles but you don't have much in the way of company!

;)
The textual evidence is clear that 18th century tendencies were brought back into vogue with work...
She sets up her long notes in an aggressive and impactful manner just like back in the day. I've listened to Mendelssohn Piano Concerto 2. The ending includes an wickedly aggressively sounding trilled long note.
Mozart's Fantasy(Fantasia) in D minor K.397 starts with a grand Andante opening that is only heard once, before moving on to the "cooler" Adagio section. But, a Presto section, unmetered, provides a wicked "run" for contrast. And then all this darkneses shifts to an "dolce" Allegretto, and there, eventually another unmetered "extended run"/cadenza is present. The work was left unfinished, but someone put in some bars so it could end. Only a master like Mozart could make such "runs" feel just right. Mariah does the same with her flourishes.

She influenced female singers...perhaps you're stuck in a male-dominated cave. :p ;)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The textual evidence is clear that 18th century tendencies were brought back into vogue with work...
She sets up her long notes in an aggressive and impactful manner just like back in the day. I've listened to Mendelssohn Piano Concerto 2. The ending includes an wickedly aggressively sounding trilled long note.
Mozart's Fantasy(Fantasia) in D minor K.397 starts with a grand Andante opening that is only heard once, before moving on to the "cooler" Adagio section. But, a Presto section, unmetered, provides a wicked "run" for contrast. And then all this darkneses shifts to an "dolce" Allegretto, and there, eventually another unmetered "extended run"/cadenza is present. The work was left unfinished, but someone put in some bars so it could end. Only a master like Mozart could make such "runs" feel just right. Mariah does the same with her flourishes.

She influenced female singers...perhaps you're stuck in a male-dominated cave. :p ;)

Last time I checked Madonna was female and she not only composed a lot of her own music, she revolutionized the female-pop star persona changing the music industry forever. (which is not to say I'm a big fan)

Mariah Carey may be popular but she's essentially a plain vanilla "basic bitch" in comparison when discussing cultural/musical influence.

However you're certainly entitled to love her music anyway! :)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
American Pie = The best song ever recorded IMO.

"Best" is purely subjective however I do agree this was one song that affected me deeply back in the day.

EDIT: Great linked recording .... sounds like it was live?

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Last time I checked Madonna was female and she not only composed a lot of her own music, she revolutionized the female-pop star persona changing the music industry forever. (which is not to say I'm a big fan)

Mariah Carey may be popular but she's essentially a plain vanilla "basic bitch" in comparison when discussing cultural/musical influence.

However you're certainly entitled to love her music anyway! :)
Oh, her songwriting powers are from beyond the times. Putting opera and all the modern trends of the day, such as new jack swing, disco for Emotions, 80s pop, 90s pop all in a blender and making it sound just right is not a mere mortal's power. ;)

In fact, some of the most exploratory works are not her #1, but the likes of Prisoner and Sent From Up Above.

• Haha

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Oh, her songwriting powers are from beyond the times. Putting opera and all the modern trends of the day, such as new jack swing, disco for Emotions, 80s pop, 90s pop all in a blender and making it sound just right is not a mere mortal's power. ;)

In fact, some of the most exploratory works are not her #1, but the likes of Prisoner and Sent From Up Above.

Long as you enjoy her music that's the only thing that really matters. :)

Jun 18, 2022
I don't particularly care for these types of list because another forum I'm on does meaningless list post all the time, haha.

The one thing I think is absurd, and I don't like, is almost every song/music video I look at on YouTube, undoubtedly has those few people who say "This song saved my life! I was going through a hard time and it got me though those that and I wouldn't be here today with it!". LOL. Never fails.

• Wow
Jun 18, 2022
Yeah... that's just terrible. :rolleyes:
Didn't say it's a popular opinion or even terrible. I said it's absurd and silly :D But honestly, when I see that comment next to a Pantera song, come on. Plus, it's on most songs I see. Music isn't the reason you survived a rough time in your life. It's a bit silly to put that faith in music and not yourself or those around you that may have helped.