Bill Weld will challenge Trump for 2020 nomination

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
He might get farther this time without Jeff Spicoli next to him.

He's not a bad choice IMO, but then anyone looks great next to the mentally ill Russian asset.

Feb 4, 2009
He has exactly a zero point zero percent chance but I did like him as Governor.

@kage69 nice reference my favorite was Spicoli saying “What’s an Aleppo” when the news was filled with stories about the violence in Aleppo.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
This is why I registered Republican even though I haven't aligned with the party virtually ever.

If Bill Weld either manages to stay on the ballot or is still running by the time the primaries make it to my state then I can put one stone in for him to try and get the Pubs to field an at least semi-palitable candidate.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I thought the GOP was rigging/eliminating primaries so their God-king wouldn't have to face the product of being primaried.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I thought the GOP was rigging/eliminating primaries so their God-king wouldn't have to face the product of being primaried.

Trump primaried out? Surely you jest. He owns the GOP primary voting base, heart & soul. His only real rival in 2016 was Ted Cruz & we all saw how Trump owned him in the end.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Trump primaried out? Surely you jest. He owns the GOP primary voting base, heart & soul. His only real rival in 2016 was Ted Cruz & we all saw how Trump owned him in the end.

Trump doesn’t have to lose the primary to be badly damaged by it.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Trump doesn’t have to lose the primary to be badly damaged by it.

Please. Entering the primary to oppose Trump is a suicide mission. Barring some incredible turn of events, Weld & anybody else who does will be crushed, bigly.

You are not talking about truly rational people when you're talking about potential Trump voters, either. Trump messes with their minds in an uncanny & almost supernatural way.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Please. Entering the primary to oppose Trump is a suicide mission. Barring some incredible turn of events, Weld & anybody else who does will be crushed, bigly.

You are not talking about truly rational people when you're talking about potential Trump voters, either. Trump messes with their minds in an uncanny & almost supernatural way.

Look at history.

Reactions: Bitek

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
This is why I registered Republican even though I haven't aligned with the party virtually ever.

If Bill Weld either manages to stay on the ballot or is still running by the time the primaries make it to my state then I can put one stone in for him to try and get the Pubs to field an at least semi-palitable candidate.

The old register as Republican for the primary and switch to Democratic for the general trick. ;)

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Look at history.

Like 2016, for example? The notion that Bill Weld or anybody else can take enough primary votes away from Trump to make him look bad is absurd. They'd have to come at him from the Right, which is basically impossible. The GOP primary voting base was looking for the exit to Crazytown since Gingrich, at least, and Trump gave it to them. He's a political monster born of the dark side of the American character, a near perfect storm of insanity.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Like 2016, for example? The notion that Bill Weld or anybody else can take enough primary votes away from Trump to make him look bad is absurd. They'd have to come at him from the Right, which is basically impossible. The GOP primary voting base was looking for the exit to Crazytown since Gingrich, at least, and Trump gave it to them. He's a political monster born of the dark side of the American character, a near perfect storm of insanity.

Basically every sitting president that faces a meaningful primary challenge loses.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Basically every sitting president that faces a meaningful primary challenge loses.

What in the world ever led you to believe that Trump will face a meaningful primary challenge is beyond my comprehension. Bill Weld sure as Hell isn't that.

GHWB was challenged from the Right by Buchanan. Carter was challenged from the Left by Ted Kennedy. Now tell me who can challenge Trump from the Right, given his capture of the GOP base. There's nobody there. If you think moderate Repubs are going to rise up & take their party back you're not thinking straight. They've become an endangered species.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
What in the world ever led you to believe that Trump will face a meaningful primary challenge is beyond my comprehension. Bill Weld sure as Hell isn't that.

GHWB was challenged from the Right by Buchanan. Carter was challenged from the Left by Ted Kennedy. Now tell me who can challenge Trump from the Right, given his capture of the GOP base. There's nobody there. If you think moderate Repubs are going to rise up & take their party back you're not thinking straight. They've become an endangered species.

We don’t know if it will be meaningful or not yet, as the primary hasn’t happened.

Go back and look at my original post, it’s clearly correct.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

You think he learned it from those Russian Jedi's that run twitter and facebook?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You think he learned it from those Russian Jedi's that run twitter and facebook?

I don’t understand things like this. We know for a fact that Russia intervened in our last election and anyone with common sense knows it’s reasonably likely their influence was decisive. After all, if they convinced even 1% of people to either vote for Trump or not vote at all, that’s the election. Would you say them influencing 1% of voters is out of the realm of possibility?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

He learned it all from decades of relentless GOP wedge issues, disinformation & agitprop. The Russians learned it the same way, put their own twist on it to help Trump get elected. They are, btw, very good at what they do, which is to spread divisive hate & discontent among target populations. Their work in the 2016 election was utterly brilliant, exploiting big data, hacking & social media in a new synthesis of the dark arts of influencing mass audiences.

Ignoring that is whistling past the graveyard.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I don’t understand things like this. We know for a fact that Russia intervened in our last election and anyone with common sense knows it’s reasonably likely their influence was decisive. After all, if they convinced even 1% of people to either vote for Trump or not vote at all, that’s the election. Would you say them influencing 1% of voters is out of the realm of possibility?
I'm just poking fun at Johhnn. He's mentioned Russian mind benders a couple times, but Jedi's add a ridiculous flair to the narrative that I enjoy. Much like you, I don't often agree with him, but I generally respect his logic.
To the topic at hand. Do I believe that Russians might have changed the minds of 1% of voters? It's possible. But the thing you need to realize is that this is the new normal. This is going to happen in every election by a lot of different people, most of them right here in the US. Propaganda, spin, and outright lies have always been a part of the political landscape. These are marketing people, doing what marketing people do. It doesn't take a Russian Jedi to pull it off.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
I'm just poking fun at Johhnn. He's mentioned Russian mind benders a couple times, but Jedi's add a ridiculous flair to the narrative that I enjoy. Much like you, I don't often agree with him, but I generally respect his logic.
To the topic at hand. Do I believe that Russians might have changed the minds of 1% of voters? It's possible. But the thing you need to realize is that this is the new normal. This is going to happen in every election by a lot of different people, most of them right here in the US. Propaganda, spin, and outright lies have always been a part of the political landscape. These are marketing people, doing what marketing people do. It doesn't take a Russian Jedi to pull it off.

It just takes the scumbag vote that the GOP counts on. lol.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
No republican should ever win again. Anyone who votes with these people votes with horrible trump people.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Underestimating either the capabilities or the malevolence of Russian meddling in our political processes is quite foolish in the wake of the 2016 election. Viewed objectively, the combined efforts of Trump & the Russians were a tour de force in the creation of mass delusion. It can be no other way, given that Trump is utterly & obviously unfit to be President. It's easily the greatest mind fuck in the history of the Republic.

Trumpsters are utterly blind to the idea that Putin backed Trump in order to destabilize America, to tear us apart at the seams of the wedge issues the GOP has used for decades. When they find themselves on the same side of that, they don't question what they believe at all. They apparently figure Putin is in it for the MAGA, or something equally as inane. Shee-it. A huge number of them don't even accept the fact that it happened.

Reactions: cytg111

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Underestimating either the capabilities or the malevolence of Russian meddling in our political processes is quite foolish in the wake of the 2016 election. Viewed objectively, the combined efforts of Trump & the Russians were a tour de force in the creation of mass delusion. It can be no other way, given that Trump is utterly & obviously unfit to be President. It's easily the greatest mind fuck in the history of the Republic.

Trumpsters are utterly blind to the idea that Putin backed Trump in order to destabilize America, to tear us apart at the seams of the wedge issues the GOP has used for decades. When they find themselves on the same side of that, they don't question what they believe at all. They apparently figure Putin is in it for the MAGA, or something equally as inane. Shee-it. A huge number of them don't even accept the fact that it happened.
Your paranoia isn't my reality.
If all of what you believe is true, the only answer is to shut down all social media. Pull the plug on everything.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Your paranoia isn't my reality.
If all of what you believe is true, the only answer is to shut down all social media. Pull the plug on everything.

As I said, dismissing it as paranoia is denial of the facts & of reality itself. There's nothing normal about Trump as President. The whole episode is post-truth with a vengeance, an astounding disconnect from reality.