Bill O'Reilly surprised black people know how to behave...

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I cringed at the thought of having to defend Bill but realized a 10 year old should have been able to understand what he was saying, and he wasn't saying anything wrong. My comfort now is that the whole premise of the thread is stupid, and I'm not being pro-Bill so much as anti-idiot.

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: sandorski
Completely irrelevant, keep defending the indefensible.
Yeah. Screw Juan Williams. What does he know about racism or public statements? Let's have some BDS bobbleheads tell everyone what to think about it instead.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider
I cringed at the thought of having to defend Bill but realized a 10 year old should have been able to understand what he was saying, and he wasn't saying anything wrong. My comfort now is that the whole premise of the thread is stupid, and I'm not being pro-Bill so much as anti-idiot.

but...but....but what he said was indefensible!

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Corn

but...but....but what he said was indefensible!

But was it unpossible?

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Juan Williams has long been a billy apologist. And speaking of anti-idiot, how do you reconcile not being an idiot with Billy saying "My image of black people came entirely from music videos"

Again, some people here are coming across as very sheltered fools. If I generalized white people based on the latest whining adrogygnous freak on MTV, how many of you would appreciate it?

Besides that, nobody has explained his comment about black kids stealing rims from a parkinglot. I also love how juan williams suddenly speaks for all black people while black people who took offense, including one of the owners of Sylvia's, are ignored. The fact that you people think a single black man defending Bill Oreilly forecloses the question of Bill Oreilly's inherent racism shows you people are guilty of the exact same sort.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
Juan Williams has long been a billy apologist. And speaking of anti-idiot, how do you reconcile not being an idiot with Billy saying "My image of black people came entirely from music videos"

Again, some people here are coming across as very sheltered fools. If I generalized white people based on the latest whining adrogygnous freak on MTV, how many of you would appreciate it?

Besides that, nobody has explained his comment about black kids stealing rims from a parkinglot. I also love how juan williams suddenly speaks for all black people while black people who took offense, including one of the owners of Sylvia's, are ignored. The fact that you people think a single black man defending Bill Oreilly forecloses the question of Bill Oreilly's inherent racism shows you people are guilty of the exact same sort.

I don't and never have liked Bill. I do have the ability to focus on what a particular thread says. When he's wrong he's wrong. When he isn't he isn't.

Likewise I don't like GWB. When people point out what he has done with Iraq, I often agree based on cause. I don't hold his past drug usage against him however, since many people have had that problem.

If you want to go on a generalized rant about Bill, be my guest. I think he's an idiot too. An idiotic claim about an idiot isn't a double negative. This is an idiotic thread about an idiot.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
What's idiotic about the thread? Bill said something stupid and inherently racist. Bill tacitly admitted he had no idea how black culture functioned.

What it gets down to is this; Bill hates hiphop because it's the past - midage ornery white male's past time. Why does he hate it? Who knows, maybe he's jealous rappers can sexually harass females and not have to pay millions of dollars to cover it up. So Bill caricaturizes black people and black culture based on is own ignorance and then seems shocked when he is called out on it.

What do you call a person who remarks about black people stealing rims? The only thing idiotic about this thread is how simple minded people immediately throw out the "out of context" defense. The "Out of context" defense is taken out of context these days apparently.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
What's idiotic about the thread? Bill said something stupid and inherently racist. Bill tacitly admitted he had no idea how black culture functioned.

What it gets down to is this; Bill hates hiphop because it's the past - midage ornery white male's past time. Why does he hate it? Who knows, maybe he's jealous rappers can sexually harass females and not have to pay millions of dollars to cover it up. So Bill caricaturizes black people and black culture based on is own ignorance and then seems shocked when he is called out on it.

What do you call a person who remarks about black people stealing rims? The only thing idiotic about this thread is how simple minded people immediately throw out the "out of context" defense. The "Out of context" defense is taken out of context these days apparently.

I took the time to listen to him and hear the tone and inflection in his voice and put it in context with the rest of what he was saying in this particular case.

Now a question for you.

Is this racist?

"I walked through the black section of inner city Philadelphia and was pleased to come out unharmed".

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
Juan Williams wants a word with you guys:

http://www.time.com/time/natio...0,8599,1666573,00.html

But this is an attempt to take down O'Reilly and dismiss anyone offering him support ? me. This is along the lines of telling anyone who calls attention to the excesses of hip-hop culture a "self-hating" black man and skewering anyone who dares to say there is a crisis in black America because of the high dropout rates, high crime rates and high out-of-wedlock birth rates.That is what happened to another well-known Bill, Bill Cosby, after he spoke out about the self-destructive images and behavior in the black community.

The critics want to shut up Cosby, O'Reilly, me and anyone else who points out the crisis in black America. They want anyone who dares to speak publicly about problems in black America to fear being called a racist, if they are white, or a "Happy Negro" if they are black. They want silence so they can continue to make money by distorting black life and allowing black on black murder rates to climb along with the black dropout rate and the black poverty rate.

The critics want to paralyze efforts to help those locked in poverty and too often in a criminal culture where acceptance of drug use and violence becomes acceptable. They don't want black people to be known as Americans with a long distinguished history of patriotism, reverence for education and a willingness to fight for America's ideals ? justice for all ? despite the harsh facts of slavery and legal segregation.

They prefer to bash anyone who points out their tragic, mindless willingness to sell out the history and pride of black people to make a buck. But take this from the "Happy Negro." The critics are some Sad People.

Moot to the current topic.

How so? You do realize Bill was talking directly with Juan Williams when these quotes were taken right?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

QFT

Sep 12, 2004

The fact that you want to be completely obtuse about this and refuse to recognize what O'Reilly said and precisely why he said it says volumes about you. If anyone is guilty of anything and it's you and your willful ignorance on this issue. It's exactly your kind of attitude that promotes the racial divide in this country instead of trying to bridge it.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Here we go, asinine defense tactic #2 "You people are making everything worse by pointing out racism!"

You still care to explain the rim jacking comments?

Sep 12, 2004
Here we go, asinine defense tactic #2 "You people are making everything worse by pointing out racism!"
I figured that would go right over your head like so many other issues in this subjet have.

He was probably talking about those people who keep pushing their glasses up their nose. You know, they keep 'jacking their rims.'

Why would you care what he said or why he said it anyway? You can't even properly interpret a statement and the context in which it is said.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

I took the time to listen to him and hear the tone and inflection in his voice and put it in context with the rest of what he was saying in this particular case.

Now a question for you.

Is this racist?

"I walked through the black section of inner city Philadelphia and was pleased to come out unharmed".

That would depend contextually on whether the black section of inner city Philadelphia was a dangerous area. If it was commonly known as a safe area, and yet a white person expressed amazement that they walked through a low crime area without getting attacked even though blacks were known to make up the majority of the population of the area, then yeah, that's racist. If that same area is known as a dangrous high crime area, then no, it's not racist.

Sylvia's is well known NY restaurant. To express shock that restaurant goers are not acting like gang members simply because it's a black restaurant is a fairly ignorant statement. If the restaurant were known to be a hangout for thugs and gangs and on the day he went there were no thugs, then surprise makes sense.

I think his comment revealed his ignorance more than any racist intentions.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
I figured that would go right over your head like so many other issues in this subjet have.

He was probably talking about those people who keep pushing their glasses up their nose. You know, they keep 'jacking their rims.'

Why would you care what he said or why he said it anyway? You can't even properly interpret a statement and the context in which it is said.

You, haybusha, and others, can't even figure out what somebody is saying.

"I used to hate all Ni66ers but now I think some are okay."

Is that racist?

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000

Is that racist?

That's a fair question. I have another board that would probably make you faint. We DO pick on black people. We've used "that word" without the 6's. We make fun of gays, religion, women, Clinton, and Bush. Pakistanis, Jews, Hindus, you name it.

Here's the thing. We aren't all white men. We've had blacks, Libs, gays, women, libs, Reps, Jews. Pakistanis, Indians, as regular members (as small as the boards are). We don't care of you are gay at the same time we make fun of it. You can make fun of anyone but know what? We know that it's all in fun. We make fun of ourselves and each other. When it comes down to it, people there are horses asses and just plain non hating humans. Someone has a hard time we may give him some grief just for sake of appearances but he or she is one of us no matter if he's gay or straight, Jew or Muslim, Black or White. We have empathy for that person.

Are we racist? If so, I'll gladly be one who calls someone who is homosexual a you know what, and help him when he needs it than one who uses all the "right" words and doesn't really care about his fellow human enough to do anything other than point out someone elses words.

This is all about context, and the true meaning of what people say. Bill is an idiot. He may be racist for all I know. If he saw a black guy getting beat up, would he say "That guy is being attacked, I need to help him" or "Just another one of those thugs. Probably deserves it". I don't have the answer to that. What he or anyone else does when it matters is more important to most people I know than some comment (which still doesn't seem overtly racist to me) about a restaurant.

Sep 12, 2004

Is that racist?
You can't even figure out how to create the proper analogy in this case. A far more apt analogy would be if John Stewart said something like "I listend to Obama the other day and he didn't pronounce "axe" instead of "ask" even one time. (/followed by a John Stewart raised eyebrow) Would you consider that "racist" or would you get the gist of that comment?

I think your problem is that you automatically assume O'Reilly is racist in the first place since he leans to the right and, of course, that must automatically make him a certified and card holding gay-hating, black-hating, god-fearing, baby-blood drinking bigot. The problem here is YOU and the fact that you can't get over your own stereotypes in the first place, which is its very own sort of racism. Think hard about that, homey, and consider who the real racist is here.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
There's a difference between politically incorrect and being racist. HOwever, oreilly was engaged in politically correct racism, which is of course through the red herring of hiphop.

It's like that dave chapelle joke about old white men begging to say "*****" (i wonder if it'll go through). They work their way around it and nearly explode trying to avoid it. That's what oreilly's been getting at for several years now.

Sep 12, 2004
There's a difference between politically incorrect and being racist. HOwever, oreilly was engaged in politically correct racism, which is of course through the red herring of hiphop.

It's like that dave chapelle joke about old white men begging to say "*****" (i wonder if it'll go through). They work their way around it and nearly explode trying to avoid it. That's what oreilly's been getting at for several years now.
Or like Chapelle's little Ozzy and Harriet spoof of a family called the "N*****s."?

btw, I love Chappelle. I have every bit of his stuff on DVD. The Racial Draft is probably one of the funniest comedy skits and greatest comedic jabs at racism that I've ever seen.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
my response was directed at hibachi. And the problem with your analogy is , jon stewarts satire has never exposed his own patriarchal underpinnings. Bill Oreily did just that. He's like that stupid uncle you have that sees you with a black friend and starts telling them how many black people he serves at Denny's. Also, people like billy think you can safely attack black people by attacking hiphop, ignoring that 90 percent of hiphop is white nerds these days.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I see a lot of head in the sand responses in this thread. Some people would rather spin then deal with what he actually said. I'll try another analogy.

Quoting the late greal Al Campanis on Nightline circa 1987, "Blacks don't have the mental capacity to coach major league baseball." If you don't think that statement is racist, stop reading.

Move ahead to 2007 and Bill O comments on attanding a Mets game, "I enjoyed watching the Mets play and their team is well coached. I'm surprised Willie Randolphs ability to run the team is no different then the white coaches"

One could argue saying this makes that person racist. I would say it's inconclusive but the statement shows some racist tendencies or a complete ignorance of black people.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
?You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don?t, you get stuck in Iraq.?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I think Bill phrased like he did to get the reaction that he did because his ratings go up every time he's embroiled in a controversey

Sep 12, 2004
my response was directed at hibachi. And the problem with your analogy is , jon stewarts satire has never exposed his own patriarchal underpinnings. Bill Oreily did just that. He's like that stupid uncle you have that sees you with a black friend and starts telling them how many black people he serves at Denny's. Also, people like billy think you can safely attack black people by attacking hiphop, ignoring that 90 percent of hiphop is white nerds these days.

"patriarchal underpinnings?" Huh? As opposed to his matriarchal underpinnings? :confused:

So if O'Reilly had gone to an Asian restaurant instead and wryly observed that the place wasn't jumping with people leaping through the air kung fu-ing each other that would have been racist too?