Bill O'Reilly surprised black people know how to behave...

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Anyone with a properly functioning brain knows that O'riely is a dirty little pig, he's just so good at BSing that people think he's "fair" or "balanced".

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
I think he made a couple of ignorant comments.

The restaurant comment was not meant in sarcasm, but it sounded as if he was speaking out of his own superficial experience with blacks- his comment smacked of the great divide between classes and cultures in the US. Do I think he should be tarred and feathered for this comment? No. He is just ignorant. When I say "ignorant" I mean he really has nothing to draw from except his superficial meetings with Sharpton and other talk show guests and his exposure to black American culture. It sounds as if he does not know any blacks on a personal level in other words.

He stated that blacks Americans are just like everybody else in America; they are the same as everyone else. I would agree with him if I thought he was referring to morally the same as we are all pretty much the same morally- we all do bad things and are no better than anyone else. But, my impression is that he was speaking about being "colorblind." Blacks in America have had a much different experience and history than any other community in America. This makes for a significant difference culturally. It is important to respect those differences . how do you respect those differences? By listening and not making assumptions, whether the assumptions are positive or negative.

He also seems to think that Rap and Hip Hop are not as popular as they are.. I think he is wrong on that due to my own observation. I see blacks old, young, male and female lapping that stuff up. I agree with him that it is a negative influence and that too many blacks are being defined by the negative stereotypes portrayed in that music.. and that many take their identity from such stuff. However, I think that the main factor is parenting, and that due to lack of positive identity being nurtured by parents, children find other types of identities to make their own.

Despite all this, the topic is one that should be addressed, and he did an ok job of addressing it. The problem is that people are so blinded by their loyalties they will not acknowledge when "the other side" has something that needs to be heard. Not that Bill said anything new. It is still an important issue. However, he does oversimplify the issue and b/c of that no real solutions are presented... which leads me to believe that he, like most people in America, doesn't really have any intention of helping to solve problems. It seems his solution was assimilation... which is pretty pathetic.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: manowar821
Anyone with a properly functioning brain knows that O'riely is a dirty little pig, he's just so good at BSing that people think he's "fair" or "balanced".

Nothing to do with the topic at hand, try again! :thumbsdown:

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
Originally posted by: sirjonk
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider

I took the time to listen to him and hear the tone and inflection in his voice and put it in context with the rest of what he was saying in this particular case.

Now a question for you.

Is this racist?

"I walked through the black section of inner city Philadelphia and was pleased to come out unharmed".

That would depend contextually on whether the black section of inner city Philadelphia was a dangerous area. If it was commonly known as a safe area, and yet a white person expressed amazement that they walked through a low crime area without getting attacked even though blacks were known to make up the majority of the population of the area, then yeah, that's racist. If that same area is known as a dangrous high crime area, then no, it's not racist.

Sylvia's is well known NY restaurant. To express shock that restaurant goers are not acting like gang members simply because it's a black restaurant is a fairly ignorant statement. If the restaurant were known to be a hangout for thugs and gangs and on the day he went there were no thugs, then surprise makes sense.

I think his comment revealed his ignorance more than any racist intentions.

This statement to me has the tone that you expect to be harmed in a black neighborhood. You could have easily said "I walked through a bad section of inner city Philadelphia and was pleased to come out unharmed." To me the use of a race in the statement means something.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
my response was directed at hibachi. And the problem with your analogy is , jon stewarts satire has never exposed his own patriarchal underpinnings. Bill Oreily did just that. He's like that stupid uncle you have that sees you with a black friend and starts telling them how many black people he serves at Denny's. Also, people like billy think you can safely attack black people by attacking hiphop, ignoring that 90 percent of hiphop is white nerds these days.

"patriarchal underpinnings?" Huh? As opposed to his matriarchal underpinnings? :confused:

So if O'Reilly had gone to an Asian restaurant instead and wryly observed that the place wasn't jumping with people leaping through the air kung fu-ing each other that would have been racist too?

That's exactly what he did.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: nick1985

Nothing to do with the topic at hand, try again! :thumbsdown:

Hardly.

He has said far worse, his shock value for myself is gone, at least. I'm amazed that people still take the hack seriously, much less jump in to defend him. Moronic.

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
I for one am quite amazed when I go into an Irish pub and find the bartender sober, figure he/she must not be Irish, and no one plotting the downfall of the English!

wiin

Oct 28, 1999
As always, lefties only read/listen to what they wanna hear, neverr wanting to know the whole truth. Expand your horizon. Do not limit yoursel to Media Matters, MoveOn.Org or Daily Kos. Otherwise your life iwill be filled with hatred of others. Oh wait, it's too late to save you already.

Originally posted by: HomerJS
I know people are going to spin this as misrepresenting Bill O but the key quote is is was "surprised" Slyvias restaurant, black owned and mostely black customers know how to behave just like normal white people.

I guess Bill expected to find blacks swinging from the trees, committing drive bys and stealing his hubcaps. Spin it all you want, his experiance at Sylvias didn't affirm his already held belief, he discoivered something new. Is this 1947 or 2007? Maybe we need to go back to the good ole' days!

Bill O!!

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Originally posted by: wiin
As always, lefties only read/listen to what they wanna hear, neverr wanting to know the whole truth. Expand your horizon. Do not limit yoursel to Media Matters, MoveOn.Org or Daily Kos. Otherwise your life iwill be filled with hatred of others. Oh wait, it's too late to save you already.

As usual you righties think the person/group dispensing the information somehow changes the quotes.

Originally posted by: HomerJS
I know people are going to spin this as misrepresenting Bill O but the key quote is is was "surprised" Slyvias restaurant, black owned and mostely black customers know how to behave just like normal white people.

I guess Bill expected to find blacks swinging from the trees, committing drive bys and stealing his hubcaps. Spin it all you want, his experiance at Sylvias didn't affirm his already held belief, he discoivered something new. Is this 1947 or 2007? Maybe we need to go back to the good ole' days!

Bill O!!

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
He has said far worse, his shock value for myself is gone, at least. I'm amazed that people still take the hack seriously, much less jump in to defend him. Moronic.

I know the fact that he has more viewers than the other shows in his time slot combined is disheartening to liberals, but such is life. It's hard to paint the guy as irrelevant when he has such a large following.