Bill O'Reilly question

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Bill O'Reilly in his opening segment prefaces many opinions with "Talking Points believes." Why is this?

Is Talking Points a person? I don't understand why he frames his opinions in the third person, or I guess in this case the third memo. Does he not write the memo?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I dunno, but given the caliber of his "Reporting" staff, I suspect Talking Points believes in Santa Claus.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Farang
Bill O'Reilly in his opening segment prefaces many opinions with "Talking Points believes." Why is this?

Is Talking Points a person? I don't understand why he frames his opinions in the third person, or I guess in this case the third memo. Does he not write the memo?

Quite likely he has staff and a producer for the 'talking points' segment. Probably referring to a 'group decision/thing'.

If not, then basically he is saying "we" when he should be saying "I".

Fern

PaperclipGod

Banned
Apr 7, 2003
I always assumed it was because he was a pompous, arrogant, fruitloop. He makes lots of fuss about how he makes it clear to his viewers when reported news is editorialized and not "just" reported... and he bellows zeppelin's full of hot air if any other news program isn't completely honest about editorialized/biased reporting. Yet then he goes and tries to make his own editorial comments seem so much more significant than they are by using disingenuous word-play to make "Talking Points" appear to be an entity which encompasses more than just Bill O'Reilly and the voices in his head.

BTW, this is coming from someone who voted for George Bush in 2004.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Talking points is more a code word for promoting the GOP, and getting everyone in the GOP to be on the same message. And those weekly talking points often came straight from the RNC. A basic extension of the big lie, repeat it often enough and people tend to assume its true.

One has to wonder if the FCC should allow an over the Air television network to that big of a part of a political party.

I think we can expect some changes regarding the FCC and the rules, if nothing else, they may address the so called fairness doctrine.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I think O'Reilly's format is basic, straight forward and unencumbered with irritating little distractions like acknowledging the facts of the matter at hand, the truth, objective observations, non-agenda driven commentary....You know, stuff like that, the kinds of stuff that really gets in the way of airing their very own special version of "fair and balanced" news and commentary.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Talking points is more a code word for promoting the GOP....

Bill O doesn't pimp the GOP agenda; he pimps his own.

Most times channel surfing when I see his program he isn't even taliking about politics. He's a self-styled 'Cultural warrior', not a political one.

Originally posted by: tweaker2
I think O'Reilly's format is basic, straight forward and unencumbered with irritating little distractions like acknowledging the facts of the matter at hand, the truth, objective observations, non-agenda driven commentary....You know, stuff like that, the kinds of stuff that really gets in the way of airing their very own special version of "fair and balanced" news and commentary.

Complaining about his show not being "objective' etc is like complaining about water being wet. It is a show by Bill, for Bill, and about Bill's opinions on any number of subjects (many of which aren't even about politics).

I dont' see him as anything but a self-promoting 'populist'.

I think people label him a conservative mostly because of his "catholic" social type policies that he promotes, which I suppose are conservative. However, he supports gay marriage etc.

But if you're looking a (hard, objective) news, you might as well tune to the "View' or 'RedEye'. (Or Olbermann, Hannity, Matthews or most other shows on cable news networks). They're opinion shows hosted by today's psuedo breed of journalists who are more celebrities than anything else.

Fern

masteryoda34

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2007
One has to wonder if the FCC should allow an over the Air television network to that big of a part of a political party.

Perhaps then you should ask Mr. Obama if bringing on Jeffery Immelt, who is CEO of G.E. - parent company of NBC, as a top advisor is a conflict of interest.

Oh yes, NBC/MSNBC happen to be the ones blatantly cheering for Obama too.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Fern

Most times channel surfing when I see his program he isn't even taliking about politics. He's a self-styled 'Cultural warrior', not a political one.

Complaining about his show not being "objective' etc is like complaining about water being wet. It is a show by Bill, for Bill, and about Bill's opinions on any number of subjects (many of which aren't even about politics).

I think people label him a conservative mostly because of his "catholic" social type policies that he promotes, which I suppose are conservative. However, he supports gay marriage etc.

But if you're looking a (hard, objective) news, you might as well tune to the "View' or 'RedEye'. (Or Olbermann, Hannity, Matthews or most other shows on cable news networks). They're opinion shows hosted by today's psuedo breed of journalists who are more celebrities than anything else.

Fern

You make good sense and I agree.:thumbsup:

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Talking points is more a code word for promoting the GOP, and getting everyone in the GOP to be on the same message. And those weekly talking points often came straight from the RNC. A basic extension of the big lie, repeat it often enough and people tend to assume its true.

I think we can expect some changes regarding the FCC and the rules, if nothing else, they may address the so called fairness doctrine.

There is a reason why people watch The O'Reilly Factor instead of listening to you :p

Let me guess, Olbermann told you "the truth" about O'Reilly?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
For Cubby1223's information, I don't listen to Olderman, but I have to somewhat agree with the Fern point that Bill O'Reilly and some other Fox commentators are shameless self promoters to the exclusion of all facts and logic. The problem with the Fern point is that Bill O'Reilly can spew GOP talking points and also be shameless self promoters. There is nothing mutually exclusive in the process as one hand washes the other.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
are shameless self promoters to the exclusion of all facts and logic.

Like I said, there is a reason why many people watch The O'Reilly Factor instead of listening to you.

It's like an argument I had with a friend here not too long ago, he is deadset that global warming is a proven fact. It's not. Global warming is a possibility, not a fact. The argument goes like "It's a fact", "No it's not", "Yes it is", "No it isn't", "Yes it is", "No it isn't", "Yes it's a fact", "No it's not".

Same thing here. You have it driven into your head that O'Reilly spreads lies (while you don't say "lie" you say "exclusion of all facts and logic"), and to you that is irrefutable.

I guess whatever helps you sleep at night... ?

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
There are major problems with how the media covers politics on both sides. MSNBC and Fox are both a joke. Most of the guys on these shows care only about one thing, and that's themselves. Radio isn't much better.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Fern

Fern

O'Reilly doesn't support gay marriage, I don't know how you could believe that unless you never watched the guy. O'Reilly is a straight up and down conservative, right down the line. He calls himself a "traditionalist", code for conservative because he's the most "moderate" of all the non-hard-news commentators on Fox. Which says a lot about how far right Fox has become with Beck, Hannity, etc.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
"talking points" is a catch phrase.

Something easy for the dumbfvck sheep to remember when they are tuning in.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Yeah, talking points is just an agenda he gets from the RNC machine. Either that, or his own similarly-minded staff that he likes to cite as an authority. "Some people say" that talking points are just the voices in his head, beyond all facts and reason.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Evan
...Which says a lot about how far right Fox has become with Beck, Hannity, etc...
I watched Hannity one night last week; I guess Alan Colmes was doing more than I realized holding Sean in check. Running the show alone, he's completely gone over the edge. It's like watching a really bad parody of a conservative.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
Originally posted by: Evan
...Which says a lot about how far right Fox has become with Beck, Hannity, etc...
I watched Hannity one night last week; I guess Alan Colmes was doing more than I realized holding Sean in check. Running the show alone, he's completely gone over the edge. It's like watching a really bad parody of a conservative.

I wish I could cite it exactly, but there was a clip on youtube with Hannity interviewing some guy who mentioned how Obama had said something in 'fluent Arabic' to a NY Times reporter. It was blatant playing on racism and fear by Hannity, really disgusting. Worse than nappy-headed hoes or dead chimps, I'm surprised there wasn't an uproar.