Bill Guthridge is retiring from UNC B-Ball--Matt Doherty is the new coach

SUOrangeman

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I had heard some time ago that Buth Gutridge's success as a head coach was limited because he didn't have Bill Guthridge sitting beside him.

Think about it. And then think about how well UNC fared in the post-season, scripted or otherwise).

-SUO

Digobick

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Williams is expected to make an announcement today about his decision....should be interesting. There are signs all over the KU campus and in Lawrence asking Roy to stay, and hundreds of letters are taped up on Allen Fieldhouse. He stopped by about 10:30pm last night to read the letters, and left in near tears....

As a KU student, I would love to see Roy stay until he retires, and it's sad to watch him struggle so with this decision. He's one of the nicest guys I've ever met, and I doubt there's a more honorable coach in the business. Whatever choice he makes will be a good one though; it's a win/win situation.

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
As a fellow KU student (just graduated in May) and avid KU BBall addict, I can't help but agree.

This decision has been harder for him than anyone could have imagined--especially those in NC and in the media.

On one hand he's got UNC--perhaps the most elite and storied basketball program in the whole nation practically begging him to come take over the program. He and his wife are from there and have family there. Their daughter is going to be a Junior there in the fall. Their son graduated two years ago and now works in Charlotte. Plus, Dean "The Man" Smith willed it to be so.

However... what UNC fans and the media DON'T know is who Coach Williams really is and how he operates. I can tell you if I were in his position I would jump at the chance to coach UNC, even being the KU fan that I am. Most of us probably would, some for the money alone, also the prestige, etc.

But if there's anything I've learned about Roy, he's unlike most people. He is one of the most honest, humble, forthright, and emotional people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. When he tells you something, you believe him (and not falsely, I might add). That is why the guy has had so much success bringing great players to KU. He has paired Dean Smith fundamentals with his own unique blend of integrity, emotion, and love to become the most successful of all current coaches.

What's keeping him from the Heels?

1. The system he's built and refined here at KU
2. Bob Frederick, the man who took a huge risk bringing a then unknown here to coach a team that had just won the National Championship.
3. The KU fans, who although have been 'wine and cheese' at times, treasure Roy and would elect him Governer of Kansas should he ever run.
4. Most importantly, the players he has recruited and coached, past and present. He feels very loyal to them and doesn't want to let them down.

He's called a press conference tonight at 9pm CDT at Memorial Stadium. I guess that means he's made a decision. It could be an elaborate farewell before he goes off to Tar Heel Country. However, my gut instinct based upon past Roy Williams behavior tells me that he won't give up everything he's got here so easily. My guess is he will follow in the footsteps of Jacque Vaughn a few years ago when he decided to stay for his senior season and "take the road less traveled".

Whatever he decides though... whatever school gets him should feel extremely honored, as Coach Williams is a true class act (in a world where there aren't many) and I know that Roy will make the right decision, whichever school it is.

l2c

Snakeus

Banned
Apr 3, 2000
F!ck Roy Williams, he wasn't good enough for Carolina in the first place!
He said he was staying out of the loyalty he had for his players.
But I see it as disloyalty that he is showing to every Carolina Alumni, every Carolina player, and every Carolina fan that sweats Carolina Blue out of the love they have for the Greatest Institution ever in all of college basketball!

So I say Roy Williams can kiss every Carolina fans arse, and if he never wins another basketball game I could care less!

I mean hell only two final fours in 12 years! HAHA

Guthridge did 2 in 3!

They'll get the worthy one and he'll continue the legacy of the Greatest Institution ever in all of college basketball!

GO HEELS

Snakeus
Thank God little Elian is free at last!

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
sour grapes?

You know yourself that Roy is first-class. Why do you think UNC wanted him so badly? Roy did an extremely unselfish thing tonight. Any one of us would have left in a heartbeat.

But Coach Williams puts other people first. That's what makes him so special. That is the only reason he said no to you guys. He made a promise to those he recruited to coach them, and to have to renege on that promise to fulfil his own dream, while understandable, paints him to be a phoney like most other coaches.

Roy did what he always does--put others' needs before his own. You can't fault him for that.

I agree with you that UNC will find an awesome coach. Any other coach in the nation would jump at the opportunity.

l2c

blade

1957 - 2008<br>Elite Moderator Emeritus<br>Troll H
Oct 9, 1999
Ah, he was just scared of the competition from Coach K and Duke. hehe, it would have been so much fun watching Duke vs NC games with those 2 at the helm.

Serioulsy, I do admire his decision and why he made it. Now who? Not Fogler or even Karl. And especially not Brown. Egads if he was named coach I may have to pull for Maryland. Ok, maybe not but I wouldn't like it. Doherty isn't experienced enough but he may be the best fit. Otherwise they may have to go out of the NC family.

Snakeus

Banned
Apr 3, 2000
Well you know that The Dean and John Thompson have been making commercials lately!

luv, it's not sour grapes. You see it as loyalty to those few players that Roy had recruited and I see it as disloyalty to all the people of the Carolina family. And they run into the millions!

Carolina put Roy Williams where he is today and Carolina made him the coach that he is today. To forsake those that made you what you are is pathetic.
So what, Roy Williams is no longer part of the Carolina family. He is now part of the Kansucs family!

Good ridance!

Snakeus

oldandquitemad

Jun 15, 2000
My apologies to all who read Snakeus' absurd diatribes.

Here in North Carolina we have to put up with this particular breed of inbred, self described &quot;basketball fan&quot; that thinks the entire world revolves around their silly sports program.

Coach Williams did a rare and wonderful thing that just happened to involve saying &quot;NO&quot; to the University of No Class at Chapel Hole.

And that, in the eyes of the &quot;true blue&quot; (as they describe themselves), is an unpardonable, motal sin.

Snakeus

Banned
Apr 3, 2000
Oh no I've commited the motal sin!

And besides old is not from Carolina , just probably some transplanted yankee type i love you.

Roy did a wonderful thing- talk about diatribe.

Must be one of those duke fans- you know the ones that have only had a basketball team for what 20 years.HAHA

Well at Carolina the Dynasty runs over a 100 years so piss off.

Snakeus

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
Hahaha... got to love those ACC rivalries...

Snakeus--Honestly, I'd feel pissed and let down too. Did you see though that Roy was in a lose-lose situation here? It's also win-win, as he had two of the best programs in the world to choose from.

But it was really a matter of having to let one team down. The ONLY thing holding him back from his dream job at UNC was the PROMISE that he made to his players, past and present, that he would be around. To leave them would be to make him a liar--and if there's anything he isn't it's a liar.

He never made any sort of promise to Dean, UNC, Baddour, or Gut that he would return to UNC someday. I think you guys just assumed that he would come when called, but honestly, you all underestimated the man.

I think the Observer and the Herald-Sun suck though for printing those phoney stories a couple of days ago about Roy coming. It only got everyone riled up (on both sides). Those anonymous sources should be SHOT.

IMHO, I think Eddie would be a good fit with you guys. I think he comes closest to the Dean Smith ideal without being a buffoon (Karl) or horribly inconsistent (Brown). I dunno about Matt Doherty... he was an assistant here and none of the players really liked him.

l2c

Snakeus

Banned
Apr 3, 2000
luv actually I wasn't even aware that Roy was instate talking with Carolina until last night when they said he was gonna make his decision.
I agree with the lose-lose but not the win-win statements.
Would you want to be known as one of the people that kept Roy from the Greatest job in all of college sports. I wouldn't. I would tell him by no means should he not take the job because of me!
You could say it would have made him out a liar but I would say he also made a sound decision.
You are right he made no promises to anyone at Carolina.
But as I said earlier Carolina is a family type thing and it's now apparent that Roy even though he was a player and asst. coach at Carolina he was never really part of the Carolina family. And although that is perfectly alright I just wish he would have made that clear long before they wanted him as coach.
I never saw a paper on it and have yet to read one about it.
And yes Carolina will pick a great coach but I don't have a clue as to who it should be from who's available.

Hell every heel wants it to be The Dean again but I'm pretty damn sure that's not gonna happen!

We'll see!

Snakeus

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
your comments show just how UNC-biased you really are.

I tried to cut you some slack, but your arrogance about your program--well, it kinda makes you look foolish. You're in no position to judge him. You're in no position to deem the UNC post as the greatest job in all college sports. Agreed--it is a dream job for many, but is by no means the all-out best job.

The best job for each person has a lot to do with circumstances. Maybe if your school had come calling for Roy within a reasonable time frame (oh say 5, 8, even 10 years) you would have had a better chance.

But you know what? 12 years is a long damn time, especially when you grew from a nobody assistant coach into the winningest active coach at one school. There's a lot of ties here. There's a lot of tradition here--something you UNC fans are too snobby and self-important to realize. Roy Williams OWNS this school, just like Dean OWNS yours (don't even try to deny it).

And you know and I know that if Roy hadn't had the tremendous success he had here you'd be turning up your holier-than-thou noses at him. Face it, you're a BANDWAGON Roy Williams fan like many others out there.

Just because he was born there, went to school there (never played there though), and was an assistant coach there, doesn't mean that he owes you jack schat. You're only dredging that stuff up to make him feel guilty.

Put your hurt feelings aside and realize what you're saying. It's crazy. ROY WILLIAMS OWES YOU NOTHING. IF YOU HAD GOT HIM IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A DAMN GIFT.

<stepping off soapbox>

l2c

Snakeus

Banned
Apr 3, 2000
I never said I wasn't biased! And if you're not biased to your team then you're not much of a fan.
You're right Kentucky could also be considered the Greatest job in all of college sports but since I am biased, it's Carolina!
I don't think colleges go looking for coaches when the coach might want the job. I thinks just when they need them.
And to say that a coach is the winningest coach at a team in just 12 years says more about that team before him than it does about the team with him. Unless, of course, Kansucs opened its doors 12 years ago!
No I'm a Carolina fan and I thought Roy was part of the Carolina family and I did want him to coach here but he's not part of the Carolina family so fvck him.
Just because he was born there, went to school there (never played there though)
I got this next sentence from here http://www.kuhoops.com/roy.html

Although he was raised in North Carolina, played for North Carolina's freshman team.

Guess you don't know everything about Roy after all. Kansucs can have him. As far as I'm concerned if he left Kansucs for anywhere they would go back to what they were- NOTHING!

I have no problems with him staying at KU it's that he acted as if he was Carolina family when he wasn't that bothered me.

Snakeus

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
oh God...

1. Not everyone who is Carolina FAMILY has to be head coach there (what are you guys? the UNC mafia or something? HAHAHAHA what a joke.)

2. You misinterpreted me... coach williams is not only the winningest coach Kansas has ever had. HE IS THE WINNINGEST ACTIVE COACH IN ALL OF COLLEGE BASKETBALL. Yes it is true. If he keeps coaching he will surpass Dean Smith as the WINNINGEST COACH OF ALL TIME.

3. As for Kansas before Roy Williams. Uh, gee. Hmm... well, they had just won the national championship the year before... Yah, I could name a couple names with which you might be familiar:

Danny Manning
Larry Brown
Adolph Rupp <--- Kentucky legend. Alma Mater KU
Dean Smith <--- UNC legend. Alma Mater KU
Wilt Chamberlain
Phog Allen
James Naismith <--inventor of basketball and our first coach

Yeah our program really sucked before Roy got here. Good one there.

4. He is still Carolina family despite what a fan such as yourself may say. You're giving UNC fans a bad name. I've spoken with plenty who can respect that the man had enough integrity to put someone else first.

I maintain that it's your bruised ego (and the fact that Duke is going to kick your asses again next year) that has you blaming Roy.

Boo hoo hoo... why don't you cry about it? Or instead grow up and realize that you aren't all that.

l2c

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
Ouch Fogler just said no to you guys too... looks like Plan C!!

Boy it doesn't sound like the greatest coaching job in college sports if people are turning you down left and right.

This is getting nasty and I don't want it to.

I respect UNC and MOST of its fans. But don't go attacking Kansas, its program, its tradition, or its coach without expecting a fight.

It is the arrogant disrespect on behalf of some Tar Heel fans that is responsible for any bad blood between us. When KU asked Dean to come HOME in 88 from UNC and he denied us, we didn't insult him. We respected what he had done at North Carolina and wished him well.

I guess it's too much to expect that you could have the maturity to do the same.

l2c

blade

1957 - 2008<br>Elite Moderator Emeritus<br>Troll H
Oct 9, 1999
<< I guess it's too much to expect that you could have the maturity to do the same. >>

Kinda like the ones badmouthing NC huh. Most here are not like that at all. The outspoken ones do stand out as usual. Like I said before I do understand his decision. I know he was hurt 3 years ago when he wasn't considered for the head coach which instead went to Guthridge, as it should have. And I understand Fogler declining(I'm glad too) since he wasn't the first choice he probably felt left out and therefore enjoyed saying no.

Roy Williams was the perfect and logical choice but now it's best to get one that is a known good coach, wherever he is from.

Snakeus

Banned
Apr 3, 2000
Damn luv you have the toughest time with facts I've ever seen, case in point

2. You misinterpreted me... coach williams is not only the winningest coach Kansas has ever had. HE IS THE WINNINGEST ACTIVE COACH IN ALL OF COLLEGE BASKETBALL. Yes it is true. If he keeps coaching he will surpass Dean Smith as the WINNINGEST COACH OF ALL TIME.

Dr. F.C. &quot;Phog&quot; Allen 1907-09; 1919-56
590-219, .729, 39 Seasons

Winningest coach in Kansas Basketball history with 590 wins.

This is on Bobby. he's still active
Knight is among the youngest head coaches to have won 200, 300, 400, 500, 600 and 700 career games. His 200th coaching victory, 93-56 over Georgia in 1976, came at age 35; the 300th win, 83-69 over Northwestern in 1980, came at age 40; the 400th win, 81-68 over Kentucky in December of 1984, came at age 44; the 500th win, 92-76 over Northwestern in January of 1989, came at age 48; the 600th win, 75-67 over Iowa, Jan. 6, 1993, came at the age of 52. He is the youngest coach to win 600 games, just a few months ahead of his good friend, the late Henry Iba. Victory No. 700 came March 5, 1997, in a 70-66 victory over Wisconsin.

If you can't get this sh!t right how do you expect anyone to believe anyhting else you say?

Snakeus
All I did was make fun of carolina basketball and I was labeled a &quot;yankee i love you&quot;! oldandquitemad

oldandquitemad

Jun 15, 2000
I find you and your behavior laughable. You are worthy of only pity.
Add those lines to your signature.

I thought this forum was a bit better moderated than this.

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
Okay okay... I misspoke... I meant winning percentage, which to most people means more than wins anyway:

Coach Williams has the highest winning percentage of all active Division 1 coaches.

Coach Williams is the winningest Division 1 basketball coach of the 1990s.

Coach Williams has the highest winning percentage of all Kansas coaches.

Satisfied?

Funny how you didn't address any of my other comments.

l2c