Bill Gates , Obama advisor ?

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Doesn't look like they discussed anything MS related, but who knows.
Increase spending ?

http://www.pcworld.com/busines..._meets_with_obama.html
Bill Gates is advising President-elect Barack Obama that he should up deficit spending to help the people hardest hit by current economic woes, reports the Washington Post. Gates met with the Post today as part of a trip to D.C. in which he gave the interview, reportedly met with Vice President-elect Joe Biden and spoke at The George Washington University.

This is not a new theme for the capitalist-turned-philanthropist. It is also not surprising that, when speaking to the students at the university, Gates emphasized that he'd like the government expand its investment in education. But he also would like to see economic stimulus that aims to fight disease and poverty around the world. Gates pointed to investments in health, education, and development that have made demonstrable differences during the past decade. He says that America must continue to build on these investments. Gates wants to see that Obama does not trim back on his campaign pledge to double foreign assistance -- that amounts to $50 billion by 2012, and he hopes the American people will stand by Obama as he spends that $50 billion, too. Gates met with the Post today as part of a trip to D.C. in which he gave the interview, reportedly met with Vice President-elect Joe Biden and spoke at The George Washington University.

As for education, Gates says, according a press release issued by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation the federal government can help accelerate school reform by:

* Boosting the recruitment and retention of effective teachers
* Aliging state standards with top international standards and adopting curricula that help students meet them
* Making post secondary completion a national priority by rewarding college completion
* Building data systems to create the infrastructure to help drive evidence-based reform in high schools and colleges
"Today's down economy doesn't mean education will be less important for the future, so a down economy doesn't mean we should cut back on education," Gates said.

According to a transcript of this speech posted on www.gatesfoundation.org, Bill Gates told this story to prove his point:

"Smart, creative initiatives that encourage post secondary completion offer the best opportunity to fight inequity in America, while investing in health and development offers us the best chance to fight inequity around the world," he said. "Two years ago, Melinda and I visited an AIDS clinic in Durban, South Africa. I remember talking with patients and doctors while I watched the daily work of the clinic. People who showed up were welcomed by the staff. They were able to get counseling. They were able to get antiretroviral drugs. Everything seemed smooth and normal, and then it struck me: this is a compete change!"

"A decade ago, when Melinda and I went to sub-Saharan Africa, it was totally different. Mothers sat with their sick children in dirty, crowded hallways -- trying to get the attention of health workers who were understaffed and overwhelmed. The health workers had no medicine, and they knew the children had no future," he continued. "What accounts for the difference? The number of people receiving antiretroviral treatment increased from 400,000 in 2003 to 3 million in 2007. This money is not just saving lives; it?s saving children from becoming orphans. Parents are now living to take care of their children, send them to school, and help them grow up. This huge change came in part from an infusion of American tax dollars -- through PEPFAR and the Global Fund. President Bush and Congress knew how much the American people would care and would want to help -- and they knew how much our help would mean to the people who get it."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/...3/AR2008120301954.html

The world's richest technology entrepreneur -- and leading philanthropist -- came to Washington yesterday with a simple message for President-elect Barack Obama: Increase spending.

Against the backdrop of a recession, Microsoft founder Bill Gates said the federal government must increase deficit spending to stimulate the economy and help the country's most vulnerable residents. Gates said new investments are critical to building on recent improvements in U.S. public education and fighting disease abroad, which he said could be reversed if spending dries up.

Gates, who has used his fortune to build the world's largest foundation, redefining the meaning of mega-philanthropist, said his foundation will increase the amount of its grants next year, despite declines in its $35 billion endowment caused by the sagging economy. He called on Obama to follow through on his campaign commitment to double U.S. foreign assistance to $50 billion by the end of his first term.

"In a crisis, there is always a risk that you take your eyes off the future and you sacrifice long-term investments for short-term gains," Gates said in a speech at George Washington University. "You have to seek both. . . . We should have a bigger goal than getting the economy growing again. I think we should expand the number of people who are contributing to the economy and benefiting from it."

Gates described the financial crisis as an opportunity for innovation, likening it to the economic woes of the 1970s, which gave rise to America's information technology boom, during which Microsoft was born. "Difficult times can launch great ideas," he said.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Its funny that some of the richest people in the world advocate helping the poor but we have some clowns on this board that don't even make 50k and think they are royality and want to throw the poor in the garbage. Hypocrisy 101

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
i think Bill Gates would make a good advisor. no way to buy him off.
he's a little pro-bridge but we can overlook that.

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
Originally posted by: BarneyFife
Its funny that some of the richest people in the world advocate helping the poor but we have some clowns on this board that don't even make 50k and think they are royality and want to throw the poor in the garbage. Hypocrisy 101

Well I think when you get that rich, money no longer becomes a concern and the idea of paying higher taxes to benefit the poor sounds fine. It isn't going to hurt Bill in any meaningful way if the tax rate goes up.

But the guy making $200k a year is a different story; he doesn't have billions and he actually has to worry about his own financials. A tax increase will affect him in a meaningful way.

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
My prob with BG is that he advocates drastically increasing the H1B quota - says there aren't enough qualified techs here in the US.

The influx of H1Bs have driven my rate down by 50% or more.

EDIT: and, this certainly wouldn't be good for Obama's job protection promises.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Extelleron

Well I think when you get that rich, money no longer becomes a concern and the idea of paying higher taxes to benefit the poor sounds fine. It isn't going to hurt Bill in any meaningful way if the tax rate goes up.

But the guy making $200k a year is a different story; he doesn't have billions and he actually has to worry about his own financials. A tax increase will affect him in a meaningful way.

It is funny how this goes right over many people's head. When you become that filthy rich money doesnt matter. The problem is they seem to forget what they can afford many times the people well below them on the wealth scale cant.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
My impressions of Bill are positive--i think he's worthy of being lent an ear.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: JS80
Since when does Bill Gates qualify to be an economic advisor?

Since he proved to be one of the smartest businessmen ever to have lived, why?

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Barack Obama
Cliffs man, Cliffs.

Gates is recommending SP1 for the economy.
Upon recieving economic BSOD, reboot system and pray.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: eskimospy

Being good at business = understanding macroeconomics?

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

What exactly does a single guy making 200K/yr have to worry about if his tax rates increases by 5%? And no one is going to weep that a guy making 200K/yr has his taxes raised marginally, he's not exactly slumming it.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Evan

What exactly does a single guy making 200K/yr have to worry about if his tax rates increases by 5%? And no one is going to weep that a guy making 200K/yr has his taxes raised marginally, he's not exactly slumming it.

OK but what if that person has fixed costs that is barely covered by his after tax income (mortgage, car notes, child tuition, etc)? Is it fair that the govt just comes in and increases his taxes and he goes cash flow negative?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

How did he prove that?

He stole DOS and lost in court. Luckily for him PC's were not widespread or he'd of paid a fortune in damages.

He himself tried to dumpl MS, he kept bugging IMB to take it off his hands for $100K (his investment in it). He also failed to forsee the coming of IBM clones that would want his OS to make the clones look like IBM products (IBM also failed to forsee this).

He ripped off the GUI of Apple and lost that case in court too.

IMO, he's luckiest busuiness to ever live, not the smartest.

Nor do I see how any of this has anything to do with qualifying him as an economic advisor. Economics != OS systems or their marketing etc.

But he also would like to see economic stimulus that aims to fight disease and poverty around the world. etc

"Economic stimulus" by sending our money abroad? That's a wealth drain, might be for altruistic and benevolent purposess but it's not really a stimulus program for us.

So, I don't think he knows what he's talking about. (As usual too; what's that famous quote of his? Something like "I don't believe PCs will ever need more than 156k of ram" or something similar. Yeah, the guy's a verifiable prophet :roll: )

Fern

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Fern

How did he prove that?

He stole DOS and lost in court. Luckily for him PC's were not widespread or he'd of paid a fortune in damages.

He himself tried to dumpl MS, he kept bugging IMB to take it off his hands for $100K (his investment in it). He also failed to forsee the coming of IBM clones that would want his OS to make the clones look like IBM products (IBM also failed to forsee this).

Nor do I see how any of this has anything to do with qualifying him as an economic advisor. Economics != OS systems or their marketing etc.

But he also would like to see economic stimulus that aims to fight disease and poverty around the world. etc

"Economic stimulus" by sending our money abroad? That's a wealth drain, might be for altruistic and benevolent purposess but it's not really a stimulus program for us.

So, I don't think he knows what he's talking about. (As usual too; what's that famous quote of his? Something like "I don't believe PCs will ever need more than 156k of ram" or something similar. Yeah, the guy's a verifiable prophet :roll: )

Fern

One can only be lucky so many times before it can be accounted as a good business sense. BG is worlds past the "luck" marker.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Fern

How did he prove that?

Fern

So generating his wealth is just luck? What, you mean like winning the lottery 50 times?

Oh yeah, and he never said that quote. That's an urban myth.