Bill Gates is Now a Bacheloer.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Exactly. What exactly is the point of divorce at that point? The man/woman can live on opposite sides of the mansion and act as if they aren't even together. I think I remember reading their home has 26 bathrooms in it lol.

Make it an open relationship and let eachother bang if they want.

What would be the point of doing all that if you didn't have to? What you appear to be trying to portray as the simpler solution is actually a more complicated one. Particularly when what divorcing couples are usually seeking is indepedence from each other.

Mar 11, 2004
Clearly Bill and Melinda Gates are not just honeymoon phase addicts - they have been married for 27 years and raised 3 children off to college. I think they've earned it if they want to be single. People change. What's so hard to get?

That you're seriously replying to that raging shitspewing moron's post like he's in any way making arguments in good faith and not just flinging as much shit as he can at every single opportunity is pretty WTF.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
I'm always surprised when these uber rich couples divorce after like 20 years. You'd think they'd have worked out all sorts of general marital agreements by then with the resources at their disposal. I mean, if she wants to see other guys do you think bill is really getting in the way of that?

Yes, because the more visible a couple is, the more pretty the picture has to be. Bill can't come out of the closet and Melinda can't go to any orgies without ending up on the cover of the National Enquirer until after the divorce is final.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I wonder if this is somehow related to Bill Gates advocacy of certain Vaccine policies....

/shrug

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Probably some financial maneuver to help lower their tax liabilities.

Hmm.. Inslee signs Washington State's first Capital Gains tax into law yesterday, it was passed by the state legislation last week I believe. Bill and Melina are residents of Washington, announce they are divorcing 2 days ago. Makes me wonder if there is a loop hole in Washington's new Capital Gains tax law which goes into effect Jan 2022 (if it survives the courts), which is the motive for the divorce.

Is it possible that a divorce as far as the Washington law is concerned, changes the assets "purchase/acquisition" date to the date the divorce was final since all assets are divided. Meaning any gains going forward are based off the value of assets from the divorce date and not the original acquisition date of the assets since in all reality ownership changes from dual ownership to single ownership? If that is a loophole, this could be a move to save Millions in taxes.

I don't know anything about how it all works.. Just a thought that came into my head.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Hmm.. Inslee signs Washington State's first Capital Gains tax into law yesterday, it was passed by the state legislation last week I believe. Bill and Melina are residents of Washington, announce they are divorcing 2 days ago. Makes me wonder if there is a loop hole in Washington's new Capital Gains tax law which goes into effect Jan 2022 (if it survives the courts), which is the motive for the divorce.

Is it possible that a divorce as far as the Washington law is concerned, changes the assets "purchase/acquisition" date to the date the divorce was final since all assets are divided. Meaning any gains going forward are based off the value of assets from the divorce date and not the original acquisition date of the assets since in all reality ownership changes from dual ownership to single ownership? If that is a loophole, this could be a move to save Millions in taxes.

I don't know anything about how it all works.. Just a thought that came into my head.
If that's the motive wouldn't it be easier to just move? Gates has houses in other states.

In the meantime Amber Heard is into geek billionaires. She'll be calling soon.

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
If that's the motive wouldn't it be easier to just move? Gates has houses in other states.

In the meantime Amber Heard is into geek billionaires. She'll be calling soon.
It's more about the assets in Washington, which includes any assets that he may have that are tied to Microsoft, outside of his stocks. Just there home alone in Washington is $60 Million, which I am sure won't be easy to sell to just anyone, specially in 7 months. Besides, how is paying lawyers to draw up a bunch of paperwork and spending a little time in court harder than moving? If the purpose of the divorce is to save Millions in Washington state capital gains tax, and if it's legal, it allows both to stay in the state they have called home for decades, and also enjoy the same relationship while getting out of millions of taxes. It's a win/win for them.

Last edited:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
It's more about the assets in Washington, which includes any assets that he may have that are tied to Microsoft, outside of his stocks. Besides, how is paying lawyers to draw up a bunch of paperwork and spending a little time in court harder than moving? A divorce allows them both to stay in the state they have called home for decades, and also enjoy the same relationship while getting out of millions of taxes, if that is the purpose and doable.
The old family compound is about 15 miles as a crow flies south of me on the south shore of the Hood Canal, right next to the Alderbrook Inn. I don't think he's leaving. Plus have you ever heard about Gates complaining about the taxes he pays?

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
The old family compound is about 15 miles as a crow flies south of me on the south shore of the Hood Canal, right next to the Alderbrook Inn. I don't think he's leaving. Plus have you ever heard about Gates complaining about the taxes he pays?

Let me get this straight: To take advantage of tax loop holes, and to take steps to reduce your tax burden, a requirement is to complain about what you pay first? (That's like expecting him to brag about all the people he screwed over/cheated/robbed, to building Microsoft to what it is) Bill Gates has always taken steps to maximize his wealth. This would be no different.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I wonder if this is somehow related to Bill Gates advocacy of certain Vaccine policies....

/shrug

I sense apples and oranges. Bill is talking specifically about the mRNA vaccines, pfizer, morderna right, the article they present with "leftover" factory capacity ... is *probably* not mRna capable .. johnson and astra maybe?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Let me get this straight: To take advantage of tax loop holes, and to take steps to reduce your tax burden, a requirement is to complain about what you pay first? Bill Gates has always taken steps to maximize his wealth. This would be no different.
I'm sure he not only did not fight the new state cap gains, I think he approved. I'll dig for links. Not all billionaire's are trust fund babies collecting coupons and see no responsibility toward their fellow man.

Bill Gates Has Paid $10 Billion in Taxes, Says He Should’ve Paid More | Observer

I might win the lottery, I guess I should be worried.

Last edited:

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
I'm sure he not only did not fight the new state cap gains, I think he approved. I'll dig for links. Not all billionaire's are trust fund babies collecting coupons and see no responsibility toward their fellow man.

Bill Gates Has Paid $10 Billion in Taxes, Says He Should’ve Paid More | Observer

I might win the lottery, I guess I should be worried.

Where does supporting something mean he won't take steps to reduce his tax liability? It's easy to support something when you know how you can avoid it. Bill Gates has spent his life playing the game of public image and making himself appear as a good person. Behind closed doors is a very ruthless and shrewd businessman, who will always take steps to protect his wealth, using every tactic available, including shady ones.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Where does supporting something mean he won't take steps to reduce his tax liability? It's easy to support something when you know how you can avoid it. Bill Gates has spent his life playing the game of public image and making himself appear as a good person. Behind closed doors is a very ruthless and shrewd businessman, who will always take steps to protect his wealth, using every tactic available, including shady ones.
Sure, whatever you say axe grinder.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Bill Gates always had an amount of creepy factor for me. Seems the older he's gotten, the creepier he is. Melinda finally got too much of the creep, considering he may have maintained relations with an ex, as well as that he was friends of Epstein, then there is his twisted ideas of world control. CREEP.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Bill Gates always had an amount of creepy factor for me. Seems the older he's gotten, the creepier he is. Melinda finally got too much of the creep, considering he may have maintained relations with an ex, as well as that he was friends of Epstein, then there is his twisted ideas of world control. CREEP.
You must be the wisest man to ever walk the planet. I feel a deep and spiritual gratitude that I was allowed to witness these words. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

• Haha
Reactions: dank69 and hal2kilo

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You must be the wisest man to ever walk the planet. I feel a deep and spiritual gratitude that I was allowed to witness these words. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

His mind is broken.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Reactions: hal2kilo

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ugh. It's like gossiping about the Kardashians. "People said she was upset" isn't anything but innuendo.

Creepy Bill doesn't need you to defend him. He's got a lot of moolah and I reckon he'll be alright. :D