Status
Not open for further replies.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Very true. Our intolerance borders on absurdity.

Reminds me of this meme:

im-offended-by-this-potato-meme-1434571729.jpg

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Really, by that potato? What offends me is when the potato bin if full of potatoes that have that shape. I like them to be completely ovoid and not indented on one side and I get really pissed off when I can't find a couple of that shape. I notice, that whoever picked that one to photograph at least got one that doesn't have any visible broken skin or ugly black spots. I hate also having to dig down to the while meat with my fingernail when I wash them. And don't get me started on conservative brain defectives.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Why there are no more Sister Souljah moments

In truth, demonstrations of political courage are not only a rara avis in both parties but today are practically extinct: In an era of Twitter outrage mobs that jump on every unorthodox statement by a politician as if it were betrayal, the cost of political courage is higher than ever.
Certainly most, if not all, of the GOP candidates privately think the Confederate flag should be pulled down from the state Capitol and put in a museum. So why, oh why, pundits ask, wouldn’t these guys (and one woman) just come out and say that without waiting for Haley (a possible GOP veep candidate) to display some political courage on her own? Why couldn’t they do what Bill Clinton did to great effect in 1992?

A brief tutorial for those too young to remember the days when Sam Malone and Murphy Brown ruled the airwaves: Sister Souljah was actually a relevant performer, and Clinton was an obscure Arkansas governor who played the saxophone and talked about the kind of underwear he favored. Back in the spring of that year, Clinton went before Jesse Jackson’s “Rainbow Coalition” and criticized the group for giving a forum to the singer, whose lyrics included such thoughtful, healing lines as, “If black people kill black people every day, why not have a week and kill white people?”

Clinton’s seeming denunciation of his African-American allies shocked reporters. Which of course was what the campaign was going for. Writing in the Chicago Tribune, Clarence Page labeled it “the most important moment of the 1992 race.” And ever since then, the Sister Souljah moment became synonymous in campaign lore with a candidate showing political courage and independence.

This is the kind of thing so many people implored the Republicans to do over the past week. To stand up, denounce many South Carolinian voters, and demand that the flag be taken down.
Would that have been politically courageous? Probably. Which is why almost nobody did it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Poor Bill Clinton has joined the list of Moonbeam's CBD list.

I love CBDs. That's why I devote so much time explaining yourselves to yourselves, so that like me, you can free yourselves from your CBD. I'm just a CBD in a 12 step program trying to love himself by loving you other fools.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Bill is absolutely right. We've made great strides to reduce racism, sexism, bigotry and so forth, but now we're witnessing the rise of the militant intolerant.

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." is out the window, replaced with "if you say things I disagree with or I find offensive in some way I'll try my best to make sure to shut you up". :(

Status
Not open for further replies.