Bill Clinton interview on Fox News (video)

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Clinton was owned by Chris Wallace.

Nothing but typical lies from Slick. Excuse after excuse for the incompetence of himself and his administration. "But Bush had 8 months!" (Nevermind that I had 8 years!)

My favorite was the viewer who wrote in "Is Bill Clinton lying? Well, are his lips moving?" :D :p

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Pabster

Nothing but typical lies from Slick. Excuse after excuse for the incompetence of himself and his administration. "But Bush had 8 months!" (Nevermind that I had 8 years!)

My favorite was the viewer who wrote in "Is Bill Clinton lying? Well, are his lips moving?" :D :p

How was he owned by Wallace? By Wallace's use of "nu-uh"? Clinton was right. He was the only one who really did anything until 9/11.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I am surprised Clinton waited this long. He is absolutely right that the same people who blame him for not getting Bin Laden, did everything in their power to undermine his ability to do so.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003

He wasnt owned by Wallace.

Clinton is the master of speaking and debates. If anyone is going to beat him it is def. not going to be Wallace.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

Chris Wallace couldn't own a piece of gum. He's such a freakin' tool.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

Clinton handing him his ass, may have even screwed it before he handed it back to him. Might have been a cigar involved, too. Don't hate the player just because he has seen a naked woman before.

EDIT: In PERSON, not on a computer screen.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Haha, Clinton came into this one ready for battle. Man is the guy ever a brilliant speaker/debater.

If there was a winner or loser in those clips, Clinton won it - had absolute control from the outset. I would not mess with the guy in front of cameras, hahah.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Clinton's basic premise was that all the folks to his right said one thing during his time in office and another after he left... this is factual.. they on the right changed their positions.. Clinton armed with the truth could not have lost this 'interview' under any circumstances..

Clinton was positioned to toss mud into the eyes of the disinformation efforts of the folks on the right and he accomplished that.. even my ultra right wing significant other said... "yeah.. I remember that.. we all did get on his case for that"... She is a bit upset that the California Central Committee continues this even yesterday.. At least she has the honor to grasp the truth... but being so far right is a long drag to the center..
Clinton is masterful...

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004

Desperate and sad... It is clear as day from all of your posts that you don't like anyone but your "team".. what is the point in posting to a forum for actual discussion if you see everything through such a narrow lens?

athithi

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2002
Originally posted by: yllus
Haha, Clinton came into this one ready for battle. Man is the guy ever a brilliant speaker/debater.

If there was a winner or loser in those clips, Clinton won it - had absolute control from the outset. I would not mess with the guy in front of cameras, hahah.

Zero latency responses from Clinton...wow, felt like a machine gun was pointed against the Fox News Anchor...poor guy was going "We asked questions, we asked questions, we asked plenty of questions!" Nope, not that one, did ya! It was like a headmaster admonishing a 3rd grader :laugh:

athithi

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2002

Except Bush has now had 6 years and started with the entire world backing him against Al Qaeda and STILL has not got OBL, only managing to lose the support of the rest of the world in the process.

JackStorm

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2003
Originally posted by: senseamp
I am surprised Clinton waited this long. He is absolutely right that the same people who blame him for not getting Bin Laden, did everything in their power to undermine his ability to do so.

No kidding.

It seems like Pabster(And people like him) either didn't fallow politics while Clinton was in office or he is being intellectually dishonest by selectively ignoring this little fact.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
More falsehood from Pabster, like in every post I've seen, unfortunately.

I don't think Clinton is enormously skilled at this, but the truth is refreshing, and helps him look good. The republicans are trying to rewrite history into a lie and hide the facts of what they did. They wanted to completely cripple the president under Clinton, and to completely cripple all checks on the president with Bush. Wrong in both cases.

People forget. For example, I recall the republicans voting to strip Clinton of the power to certify other nations' compliance with certain behaviors, saying he could not be trusted. These modern republicans are simply radical, corrupt, power-hungry anti-American monsters in sheep's clothing (wrapping themselves in the flag and religion).

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
For those whose memories are "the 2nd shortest things about them", let's recap just a bit:

"President Clinton led the fight against terrorism over strong opposition from Republicans in Congress and the pro-Republican Media. Here's a partial - yet incredibly long - list of accomplishments against terrorism for which the Clinton Administration gets almost no credit or even recognition. President Clinton:

-- sent legislation to Congress to TIGHTEN AIRPORT SECURITY. (Remember, this is before 911) The legislation was defeated by the Republicans because of opposition from the airlines.

-- sent legislation to Congress to allow for BETTER TRACKING OF TERRORIST FUNDING. It was defeated by Republicans in the Senate because of opposition from banking interests.

-- sent legislation to Congress to add tagents to explosives, to allow for BETTER TRACKING OF EXPLOSIVES USED BY TERRORISTS. It was defeated by the Republicans because of opposition from the NRA.

When Republicans couldn't prevent executive action, President Clinton:

-- Developed the nation's first anti-terrorism policy, and appointed first national coordinator.

-- Stopped cold the planned attack to blow up 12 U.S. jetliners simultaneously.

-- Stopped cold the planned attack to blow up UN Headquarters.

-- Stopped cold the planned attack to blow up FBI Headquarters.

-- Stopped cold the planned attack to blow up the Israeli Embassy in Washington.

--Stopped cold the planned attack to blow up Boston airport.

-- Stopped cold the planned attack to blow up Lincoln and Holland Tunnels in NY.

-- Stopped cold the planned attack to blow up the George Washington Bridge.

-- Stopped cold the planned attack to blow up the US Embassy in Albania.

-- Tried to kill Osama bin Laden and disrupt Al Qaeda through preemptive strikes (efforts denounced by the G.O.P.).

-- Brought perpetrators of first World Trade Center bombing and CIA killings to justice.

-- Did not blame Bush I administration for first World Trade Center bombing even though it occurred 38 days after they had left office. Instead, worked hard, even obsessively -- and successfully -- to stop future terrorist attacks.

-- Named the Hart-Rudman commission to report on nature of terrorist threats and major steps to be taken to combat terrorism.

-- Tripled the budget of the FBI for counterterrorism and doubled overall funding for counterterrorism.

-- Detected and destroyed cells of Al Qaeda in over 20 countries

-- Created a national stockpile of drugs and vaccines including 40 million doses of smallpox vaccine.

-- Robert Oakley, Reagan Counterterrorism Czar says of Clinton's efforts "Overall, I give them very high marks" and "The only major criticism I have is the obsession with Osama"

-- Paul Bremer, Bush's Administrator of Iraq disagrees slightly with Robert Oakley saying he believed the Clinton Administration had "correctly focused on bin Laden. "

-- Barton Gellman of the Washington Post put it best, "By any measure available, Clinton left office having given greater priority to terrorism than any president before him" and was the "first administration to undertake a systematic anti-terrorist effort."

Here, in stark contrast, is part of the Bush-Cheney anti-terrorism record before September 11, 2001:

-- Backed off Clinton administration's anti-terrorism efforts.

-- Shelved the Hart-Rudman report.

-- Appointed new anti-terrorism task force under Dick Cheney. Group did not even meet before 9/11.

-- Called for cuts in anti-terrorism efforts by the Department of Defense.

-- Gave no priority to anti-terrorism efforts by Justice Department.

-- Ignored warnings from Sandy Berger, Louis Freeh, George Tennant, Paul Bremer, and Richard Clarke about the urgency of terrorist threats.

-- Halted Predator drone tracking of Osama bin Laden.

-- Did nothing in wake of August 6 C.I.A. report to president saying Al Qaeda attack by hijack of an airliner almost certain.

-- Bush - knowing about the terrorists' plans to attack in America, warned that terrorists were in flight schools in the US - took a four week vacation.

-- By failing to order any coordination of intelligence data, missed opportunity to stop the 9/11 plot as Clinton-Gore had stopped the millennium plots.

-- Blamed President Clinton for 9/11. "

Anyojne remember "Wag The Dog"? How many times was Clinton accused of trying to deflect attention from the "Monica Hearings" when he'd try to do something about Osama Bin Forgotten? I seem to remember the Repug leadership making those kinds of statements every time Clinton shot off cruise missles at an Al Queda training camp, or some other terrorist target...

http://www.conservativeusa.org/wagdog.htm

http://marc.perkel.com/archives/000193.html

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=14642

http://www.truthout.org/docs_03/101303A.shtml

getbush

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2001
From teh youtube comments: "Clinton looks at Chris Wallace as though he is a bug on his shoe. I think he overestimates Chris Wallace."

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Originally posted by: BoomerD
For those whose memories are "the 2nd shortest things about them", let's recap just a bit:

"President Clinton led the fight against terrorism over strong opposition from Republicans in Congress and the pro-Republican Media. Here's a partial - yet incredibly long - list of accomplishments against terrorism for which the Clinton Administration gets almost no credit or even recognition. President Clinton:

-- sent legislation to Congress to TIGHTEN AIRPORT SECURITY. (Remember, this is before 911) The legislation was defeated by the Republicans because of opposition from the airlines.

-- sent legislation to Congress to allow for BETTER TRACKING OF TERRORIST FUNDING. It was defeated by Republicans in the Senate because of opposition from banking interests.

-- sent legislation to Congress to add tagents to explosives, to allow for BETTER TRACKING OF EXPLOSIVES USED BY TERRORISTS. It was defeated by the Republicans because of opposition from the NRA.

When Republicans couldn't prevent executive action, President Clinton:

-- Developed the nation's first anti-terrorism policy, and appointed first national coordinator.

-- Stopped cold the planned attack to blow up 12 U.S. jetliners simultaneously.

-- Stopped cold the planned attack to blow up UN Headquarters.

-- Stopped cold the planned attack to blow up FBI Headquarters.

-- Stopped cold the planned attack to blow up the Israeli Embassy in Washington.

--Stopped cold the planned attack to blow up Boston airport.

-- Stopped cold the planned attack to blow up Lincoln and Holland Tunnels in NY.

-- Stopped cold the planned attack to blow up the George Washington Bridge.

-- Stopped cold the planned attack to blow up the US Embassy in Albania.

-- Tried to kill Osama bin Laden and disrupt Al Qaeda through preemptive strikes (efforts denounced by the G.O.P.).

-- Brought perpetrators of first World Trade Center bombing and CIA killings to justice.

-- Did not blame Bush I administration for first World Trade Center bombing even though it occurred 38 days after they had left office. Instead, worked hard, even obsessively -- and successfully -- to stop future terrorist attacks.

-- Named the Hart-Rudman commission to report on nature of terrorist threats and major steps to be taken to combat terrorism.

-- Tripled the budget of the FBI for counterterrorism and doubled overall funding for counterterrorism.

-- Detected and destroyed cells of Al Qaeda in over 20 countries

-- Created a national stockpile of drugs and vaccines including 40 million doses of smallpox vaccine.

-- Robert Oakley, Reagan Counterterrorism Czar says of Clinton's efforts "Overall, I give them very high marks" and "The only major criticism I have is the obsession with Osama"

-- Paul Bremer, Bush's Administrator of Iraq disagrees slightly with Robert Oakley saying he believed the Clinton Administration had "correctly focused on bin Laden. "

-- Barton Gellman of the Washington Post put it best, "By any measure available, Clinton left office having given greater priority to terrorism than any president before him" and was the "first administration to undertake a systematic anti-terrorist effort."

Here, in stark contrast, is part of the Bush-Cheney anti-terrorism record before September 11, 2001:

-- Backed off Clinton administration's anti-terrorism efforts.

-- Shelved the Hart-Rudman report.

-- Appointed new anti-terrorism task force under Dick Cheney. Group did not even meet before 9/11.

-- Called for cuts in anti-terrorism efforts by the Department of Defense.

-- Gave no priority to anti-terrorism efforts by Justice Department.

-- Ignored warnings from Sandy Berger, Louis Freeh, George Tennant, Paul Bremer, and Richard Clarke about the urgency of terrorist threats.

-- Halted Predator drone tracking of Osama bin Laden.

-- Did nothing in wake of August 6 C.I.A. report to president saying Al Qaeda attack by hijack of an airliner almost certain.

-- Bush - knowing about the terrorists' plans to attack in America, warned that terrorists were in flight schools in the US - took a four week vacation.

-- By failing to order any coordination of intelligence data, missed opportunity to stop the 9/11 plot as Clinton-Gore had stopped the millennium plots.

-- Blamed President Clinton for 9/11. "

Anyojne remember "Wag The Dog"? How many times was Clinton accused of trying to deflect attention from the "Monica Hearings" when he'd try to do something about Osama Bin Forgotten? I seem to remember the Repug leadership making those kinds of statements every time Clinton shot off cruise missles at an Al Queda training camp, or some other terrorist target...

http://www.conservativeusa.org/wagdog.htm

http://marc.perkel.com/archives/000193.html

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=14642

http://www.truthout.org/docs_03/101303A.shtml

Well that about sums it up :thumbsup:

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Sums it up right nicely..

In fact, I had my wife read them all and she with her eagle eye and keen mind recalls many and what the position was from her party.... She is now sick... called up a few of the 'Womens Republican Committee' members and challenged them... dang.. right in front of me... AMAZING....

Truth is an amazing thing...

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Bill Clinton: ?All I?m asking is if anybody wants to say I didn?t do enough, you read Richard Clarke?s book,?
?All you have to do is read Richard Clarke?s book to look at what we did in a comprehensive systematic way to try to protect the country against terror,?
?All you have to do is read Richard Clarke?s findings and you know it?s not true,?
In all, Clinton mentioned Clarke?s name 11 times during the Fox interview.

Now let?s look at what the book says:
On page 223, Clarke describes a meeting, in late 2000, of the National Security Council ?principals? ? among them, the heads of the CIA, the FBI, the Attorney General, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the secretaries of State, Defense. It was just after al Qaeda?s attack on the USS Cole. But neither the FBI nor the CIA would say that al Qaeda was behind the bombing, and there was little support for a retaliatory strike. Clarke quotes Mike Sheehan, a State Department official, saying in frustration, ?What?s it going to take, Dick? Who the ****** do they think attacked the Cole, ******? Martians? The Pentagon brass won?t let Delta go get bin Laden. Hell they won?t even let the Air Force carpet bomb the place. Does al Qaeda have to attack the Pentagon to get their attention??

On page 204, Clarke vents his frustration at the CIA?s slow-walking on the question of killing bin Laden. ?I still to this day do not understand why it was impossible for the United States to find a competent group of Afghans, Americans, third-country nationals, or some combination who could locate bin Laden in Afghanistan and kill him,? Clarke writes. ?I believe that those in CIA who claim the [presidential] authorizations were insufficient or unclear are throwing up that claim as an excuse to cover the fact that they were pathetically unable to accomplish the mission.?

On page 210, on the issue of the CIA?s refusal to budget money for the fight against al Qaeda. ?The formal, official CIA response was that there were [no funds],? Clarke writes. ?Another way to say that was that everything they were doing was more important than fighting al Qaeda.?

On page 217, Clarke describes a colleague, Roger Cressey, who was frustrated after meeting with an FBI representative on the subject of terrorism. ?That ****** is going to get some Americans killed,? Clarke reports Cressey saying. ?He just sits there like a bump on a log.? Clarke adds: ?I knew he was talking about an FBI representative.?

From page 225: ?Because of the intensity of the political opposition that Clinton engendered, he had been heavily criticized for bombing al Qaeda camps in Afghanistan, for engaging in ?Wag the Dog? tactics to divert attention from a scandal about his personal life. For similar reasons, he could not fire the recalcitrant FBI Director who had failed to fix the Bureau or to uncover terrorists in the United States. He had given the CIA unprecedented authority to go after bin Laden personally and al Qaeda, but had not taken steps when they did little or nothing. Because Clinton was criticized as a Vietnam War opponent without a military record, he was limited in his ability to direct the military to engage in anti-terrorist commando operations they did not want to conduct. He had tried that in Somalia, and the military had made mistakes and blamed him. In the absence of a bigger provocation from al Qaeda to silence his critics, Clinton thought he could do no more.?

In the end, Clarke writes, Clinton ?put in place the plans and programs that allowed America to respond to the big attacks when they did come, sweeping away the political barriers to action.?

But the bottom line is that Bill Clinton, the commander-in-chief, could not find the will to order the military into action against al Qaeda, and Bill Clinton, the head of the executive branch, could not find the will to order the CIA and FBI to act. No matter what the former president says on Fox, or anywhere else, that is his legacy in the war on terror.

Take from a story by Byron York.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
And now Clarke on Bush?
Actually, I've got about seven points, let me just go through them quickly. Um, the first point, I think the overall point is, there was no plan on Al Qaeda that was passed from the Clinton administration to the Bush administration.
Second point is that the Clinton administration had a strategy in place, effectively dating from 1998. And there were a number of issues on the table since 1998. And they remained on the table when that administration went out of office ? issues like aiding the Northern Alliance in Afghanistan, changing our Pakistan policy -- uh, changing our policy toward Uzbekistan. And in January 2001, the incoming Bush administration was briefed on the existing strategy. They were also briefed on these series of issues that had not been decided on in a couple of years.
And the third point is the Bush administration decided then, you know, in late January, to do two things. One, vigorously pursue the existing policy, including all of the lethal covert action findings, which we've now made public to some extent
And the point is, while this big review was going on, there were still in effect, the lethal findings were still in effect. The second thing the administration decided to do is to initiate a process to look at those issues which had been on the table for a couple of years and get them decided.
So, point five, that process which was initiated in the first week in February, uh, decided in principle, uh in the spring to add to the existing Clinton strategy and to increase CIA resources, for example, for covert action, five-fold, to go after Al Qaeda.
The sixth point, the newly-appointed deputies ? and you had to remember, the deputies didn't get into office until late March, early April. The deputies then tasked the development of the implementation details, uh, of these new decisions that they were endorsing, and sending out to the principals.
Over the course of the summer ? last point ? they developed implementation details, the principals met at the end of the summer, approved them in their first meeting, changed the strategy by authorizing the increase in funding five-fold, changing the policy on Pakistan, changing the policy on Uzbekistan, changing the policy on the Northern Alliance assistance.
And then changed the strategy from one of rollback with Al Qaeda over the course of five years, which it had been, to a new strategy that called for the rapid elimination of Al Qaeda. That is in fact the timeline.
Clarke told reporters different story in 2002 background briefing
and
Clarke Praises Bush Team in '02