Bill And Hillary Caught In Photo With Rezko

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
"The date, the context and the source of the photo are unclear. "

Seems like a slow news day imo.

randym431

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2003
Anyone knowing the op personally, I'd keep him/her away from anything sharp, open windows, or dangerous power equipment the day Hillary is elected. :D

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: senseamp
http://www.suntimes.com/news/p...138,obama20web.article

Obama is up to his neck in mud on this Rezko corruption. I think he is a permanently damaged candidate for the general election. I was surprised Hillary held back on the full extent of the connection.

A longstanding relationship

Rezko is one of Obama?s earliest political patrons. Long known as a prolific fund-raiser, the Syrian-born businessman helped raise money for Obama?s political campaigns beginning in 1995, when Obama was running for the Illinois Senate.

In 13 years in politics, Obama has gotten at least $168,000 in campaign donations from Rezko, his family and business associates. The Sun-Times reported that figure last June. Obama?s ?best estimate? seven months earlier had been that Rezko had raised no more than $60,000 for him.

When Obama ran for the U.S. Senate, Rezko held a June 27, 2003, cocktail party in Rezko?s Wilmette mansion, picking up the tab for the lavish event. Obama?s campaign staff has said it has no records to show who attended that party, or how much it cost.

Obama?s relationship with Rezko dates to 1990, when Obama, then a Harvard law student, interviewed for a job with Rezko?s development company, Rezmar Corp. Obama turned down the job, instead going to work for a small Chicago law firm ? Davis Miner Barnhill. That firm did work on more than a dozen low-income housing projects Rezmar rehabbed with government funds.

Eleven Rezmar buildings were in the state Senate district Obama represented between 1996 and 2004. Many of the buildings ended up in foreclosure, with tenants living in squalid conditions, the Sun-Times reported last year. In one instance, Rezko?s company left tenants without heat for five weeks. Obama said he was unaware of problems with the buildings and minimized the legal work he?d done.

Obama?s relationship with Rezko grew closer in June 2005, when Obama and Rezko?s wife bought adjoining real estate parcels from a doctor in the South Side Kenwood neighborhood. Obama paid $1.65 million for the doctor?s mansion, while Rezko?s wife paid $625,000 for the vacant lot next door. Obama?s purchase price was $300,000 below the asking price; Rezko?s wife paid full price.

Six months later, Obama paid Rita Rezko $104,500 for one-sixth of the vacant lot, which he bought to expand his yard.
Looks like Obama has the Alberto Gonzalez excuse. He don't recall nuthing. He needs to come clean and let the voters decide.
So what is your answer to Hillary and Mr. Hsu who helped to raise millions of dollars for Hillary.

Did Hsu buy property with Hillary? There is a difference between unknowingly accepting political contributions, which Obama also did, and directly going into a land deal for personal gain.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Did Hsu buy property with Hillary? There is a difference between unknowingly accepting political contributions, which Obama also did, and directly going into a land deal for personal gain.

Ah, yes. Still defending Hillary and Bill against the Hsu I see. Sorry, your defense doesn't cut it. The idea that Hillary had no clue who the guy was when he was bundling MILLIONS for her campaign is both ludicrous and simply untrue.

Not coincidentally, Hsu was in many a photo with the Clintons as well...

Jun 27, 2005
In a nut shell, here's what happened.

1. Hill makes a snide comment in the last debate about Obama being a lawyer for a slum-lord.
2. Obama goes to Rezko and asks to scan that cool picture hanging on his wall with him, Bill and Hill.
3. Obama puts the photo out there in a press release as a "gotcha" (I say in a press release because a back door 'leak' is the same thing as a bonafide press release)

It's pretty simple. The truth behind the photo doesn't matter. What matters is the impact it has on public opinion. Basically it's designed to reinforce that feeling of "oh boy... yet another example of Hill saying what ever is politically expediant all the while hiding her ties with the same guy... whagt a hypocrite."

It's actually a brilliant play on the part of Obama. Now if he's smart he'll let it die and force Hill to either ignore it (which she probably wont) or go on the attack and propel it deeper into the psyche of the voters.

Note: When I say "Obama" it's the royal Obama... as in his camp or his supporters, not him literally.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Absolutely meaningless. National politicians on the stump probably pose for dozens, maybe even tens of dozens of such pictures every day.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
It's yet another case of "I don't know the guy" ... and there comes the photo :laugh:

It speaks right to the heart of the character and trust issues which have dogged Hillary this entire campaign.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer
I'm no fan of Hillary but this is just fucking stupid. It's a photo op FFS. This is a real stretch Pabster, even for you.
It is a stretch. THe reason I posted it the first time is simply to counter Hillary's non-news with more non-news. She made a big deal out of nothing and so this is really quite sweet irony, isn't it?

BTW, somewhere on my comp I actually have a pic of me shaking Bill's hand back when he was pres, though I doubt he remembers me. :(

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Pabster
It's yet another case of "I don't know the guy" ... and there comes the photo :laugh:

It speaks right to the heart of the character and trust issues which have dogged Hillary this entire campaign.

the last time I was in San Fransisco, I took a picture of myself with some super cute mormon missionaries.

I sincerely doubt that they know me.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Innuendo is the currency Clinton bashers trade in.

I prefer fact over fiction. Tough for the kool aid sippers to digest, I know :laugh:

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer
I'm no fan of Hillary but this is just fucking stupid. It's a photo op FFS. This is a real stretch Pabster, even for you.
It is a stretch. THe reason I posted it the first time is simply to counter Hillary's non-news with more non-news. She made a big deal out of nothing and so this is really quite sweet irony, isn't it?

BTW, somewhere on my comp I actually have a pic of me shaking Bill's hand back when he was pres, though I doubt he remembers me. :(

just don't get indicted for kickbacks, conspiracy or other nefarious activities. Otherwise, we need to leak that photo to ABCnews.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Don't you remember White Water?????? That was the whole basis of the investigation, a shady land deal.

Of course no one could ever find any laws broken by Clinton himself, although quite a few other people got in trouble.
Similarly I don't recall hearing about Obama breaking any laws in his land deal.

You are starting to act like the Clintons. Accusing someone of doing the exact same thing you did.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Are you trying to imply that anyone a president takes a photo with that they are personal associates with? That would be shockingly stupid.

If not, what are you trying to say the photo with Hillary and he implies?

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Are you trying to imply that anyone a president takes a photo with that they are personal associates with? That would be shockingly stupid.

Well, seems to me the left-wing nutjobs always made a point of showing a photo here and there of GWB with some nefarious character... And claiming it as proof or evidence of some vast conspiracy.

But I'm not making that claim. In fact, what I'm saying is what a few others have already pointed out. THIS LOOKS BAD. Doesn't matter whether Rezko was/is a close associate or acquaintance of the Clintons; It is yet another hypocritical moment exposed.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

Well, seems to me the left-wing nutjobs always made a point of showing a photo here and there of GWB with some nefarious character... And claiming it as proof or evidence of some vast conspiracy.

But I'm not making that claim. In fact, what I'm saying is what a few others have already pointed out. THIS LOOKS BAD. Doesn't matter whether Rezko was/is a close associate or acquaintance of the Clintons; It is yet another hypocritical moment exposed.

Only in YOUR head. At this point you have nothing but some tinfoil claims that this picture proves something.

If I show you a picture taken on the moon then can I claim I've been there?

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
Only in YOUR head. At this point you have nothing but some tinfoil claims that this picture proves something.

No, in the average voter's head. They see the Clintons engaged in hypocrisy and doublespeak.

So long as it is you...and no Photoshop :laugh:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Well hypocrisy by who? Does Hillary go and show photos of people posing with GWB and claim it is evidence of some vast conspiracy? You said in your OP that "THIS is the agent of change?" Well if photos are as innocent as you are claiming for GWB, then why would it be anything bad with Hillary?

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Well hypocrisy by who? Does Hillary go and show photos of people posing with GWB and claim it is evidence of some vast conspiracy? You said in your OP that "THIS is the agent of change?" Well if photos are as innocent as you are claiming for GWB, then why would it be anything bad with Hillary?

I didn't say it was. I'm talking about perception.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I didn't say it was. I'm talking about perception.

Well, then I guess I'm not understanding the point of your OP. Are you trying to stand up for Bill and Hillary then?

Please explain to me what this thread is about if you aren't trying to claim the photo is evidence of something bad about Hillary/Bill.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit

No, in the average voter's head. They see the Clintons engaged in hypocrisy and doublespeak.

Again, only in YOUR head. Just because that's what YOU want them to see doesn't mean that's what they are seeing. But keep it up, this is the kind of smear that will change few people's opinions but has a high percentage tendency to backfire.

So long as it is you...and no Photoshop :laugh:

Why do I have to be in it? You mean you need more proof then a picture!?!?!? Go figure!

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

Obama is up to his neck in mud on this Rezko corruption. I think he is a permanently damaged candidate for the general election. I was surprised Hillary held back on the full extent of the connection.

Rezko is one of Obama?s earliest political patrons. Long known as a prolific fund-raiser, the Syrian-born businessman helped raise money for Obama?s political campaigns beginning in 1995, when Obama was running for the Illinois Senate.

In 13 years in politics, Obama has gotten at least $168,000 in campaign donations from Rezko, his family and business associates. The Sun-Times reported that figure last June. Obama?s ?best estimate? seven months earlier had been that Rezko had raised no more than $60,000 for him.

When Obama ran for the U.S. Senate, Rezko held a June 27, 2003, cocktail party in Rezko?s Wilmette mansion, picking up the tab for the lavish event. Obama?s campaign staff has said it has no records to show who attended that party, or how much it cost.

Obama?s relationship with Rezko dates to 1990, when Obama, then a Harvard law student, interviewed for a job with Rezko?s development company, Rezmar Corp. Obama turned down the job, instead going to work for a small Chicago law firm ? Davis Miner Barnhill. That firm did work on more than a dozen low-income housing projects Rezmar rehabbed with government funds.

Eleven Rezmar buildings were in the state Senate district Obama represented between 1996 and 2004. Many of the buildings ended up in foreclosure, with tenants living in squalid conditions, the Sun-Times reported last year. In one instance, Rezko?s company left tenants without heat for five weeks. Obama said he was unaware of problems with the buildings and minimized the legal work he?d done.

Obama?s relationship with Rezko grew closer in June 2005, when Obama and Rezko?s wife bought adjoining real estate parcels from a doctor in the South Side Kenwood neighborhood. Obama paid $1.65 million for the doctor?s mansion, while Rezko?s wife paid $625,000 for the vacant lot next door. Obama?s purchase price was $300,000 below the asking price; Rezko?s wife paid full price.

Six months later, Obama paid Rita Rezko $104,500 for one-sixth of the vacant lot, which he bought to expand his yard.
Looks like Obama has the Alberto Gonzalez excuse. He don't recall nuthing. He needs to come clean and let the voters decide.
So what is your answer to Hillary and Mr. Hsu who helped to raise millions of dollars for Hillary.

Well, according to Bill and Billary they do not have any memory of this guy either. Like Bill do not even remember Monica anymore! For some reasons this Dirty Duo don't remember things that negatively affect them.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

I read the article. From above:

This is somehow "crooked"?

I don't get it. Who cares if Obama bought the home for $300K (total price paid $1.65M) less than the asking price. And how is that even unusual?

Then Obama purchased 1/6th of the vacant lot for 1/6th of the amount rezko purchased it for. What's the big deal here?

Fern