Biking from San Diego to Boston

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

arrfep

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2006
BTW, here is the thread from Muttsta, who went from Alaska to Panama. I bow in his presence.

PS, have you thought of, you know, offering your "services" to ladies on the road, in exchange for a place to stay? :laugh: (sorry, had to bring that up)

Dec 26, 2007
Originally posted by: arrfep
BTW, here is the thread from Muttsta, who went from Alaska to Panama. I bow in his presence.

PS, have you thought of, you know, offering your "services" to ladies on the road, in exchange for a place to stay? :laugh: (sorry, had to bring that up)

Time to hit up CL casual encounters section....

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Agentbolt
Originally posted by: akshatp
Wait. You mean bicycle bike? Holy crap SD to Boston on a pedal bike?? Who the f does this? and WHY?

How would this even work? How would you carry your belongings, where would you shower/sleep etc and all of these things come to mind...

I'm planning on pulling a small trailer. Panniers are the other option. Other than a tent, some spare parts, a gas stove and some extra clothes, there isn't much you need to bring. I'm going to be super extravagant and bring a laptop as well to blog about it for my friends.

As for why do it, I mean, why NOT do it? It'll be fun.

Stop a lot if you get an endro type bike. I biked to every ball park in USA and had kidney bleeding problems e.g. pissing blood. I recommend a real road bike w/o so much vibration.

Yikes, well I don't want to piss blood. When you say a "real road bike" are you referring to a light racing bike or a touring bike?

a touring bike will suit you better then a road bike, esp. the gearing and the ride.

I don't disagree, but again, the cheapest touring bike I've seen was 1100 bucks. I'm not sure it'll make a big enough difference to merit the huge price increase.

Each evening I would look at the map, pick a spot about 100 miles away and find the nearest campground. The next morning I would head off on the most logical road, and when I got to a town with a library, I would then use their internet to go use google maps to make sure that all the roads I was planning on going on had enough shoulder, not much traffic, etc.

Not a bad idea at all! I had no idea campgrounds were so commonplace. Also, I have no problems at all with doing some stealth camping, or just setting up my tent in the woods some random place. I was in Scouts from Tiger Cub to Life Scout, so I'm used to being pretty comfortable in any tent with a sleeping bag. I just don't want to get arrested either. :)

Just get a blackberry and get Google Maps + Opera Mini for it. Problem solved. Make sure you get a charger that can run off your bike (pedaling power), or solar power.