Biggest mistakes from this weekend's games.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
1) SD intercepting the pass on 4th down rather than knocking the ball to the ground. This led to a SD turnover which gave NE 4 fresh downs (I think they scored a TD from this sequence).

2) The SD head butt giving NE a first down. I think NE got a field from this mistake.

3) The refs calling Rolle out of bounds before making the lateral to McAlister. The replay clearly showed he was still inbounds when he made the lateral.

Am I missing anything?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
The first quarter fumble by SD that was then ruled an incompletion.

The receiver had both feet down and control of the ball before he lost it.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
IMHO the Ravens D not being able to hang on to possible interceptions, but the same was true for the Colts D.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper

Would it have lead to any sort of score had it not been called that way (don't remember the play)?

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Garet Jax

Would it have lead to any sort of score had it not been called that way (don't remember the play)?

Perhaps but unlikely, the Pats would have recovered at the one yard or it would have been a touchback.

Dec 27, 2001
I'd say Andry Reid's couching in the final couple minutes literally cost his team any chance at winning.

So, you're going to go for it on 4th and 10, but 4th and 15 seems so much more improbable? You'd rather give it to the team that's been steamrolling your defensive line with two minutes remaining? :thumbsup:

Seattle's 4th and 1 call was also highly questionable. These are the playoffs, you need to go with your greatest chance of success which is going to be a slant or hook pass.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Another snafu IMHO was Schottenheimer wasting timeouts in the 2nd half.

They didn't have any left when they really needed them.

edit: and his challenge was dumb.

da loser

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Gnrslash4life
Yea that rule they said about being engaged by a defender is utter crap.

while it's utter crap. that's been the rule all season.

chargers int fumble

hasselbeck int after the grossman int

reid's 4th down punt

i think it was reed called out of bounds. that could've been that huge ravens pick 6 that always get.

SpanishFry

Platinum Member
Nov 3, 2001
Eagles rookie guard has a flase start after successfully converting a 4th and 10 in Saints territory. :(

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
1) SD intercepting the pass on 4th down rather than knocking the ball to the ground. This led to a SD turnover which gave NE 4 fresh downs (I think they scored a TD from this sequence).

2) The SD head butt giving NE a first down. I think NE got a field from this mistake.

3) The refs calling Rolle out of bounds before making the lateral to McAlister. The replay clearly showed he was still inbounds when he made the lateral.

Am I missing anything?

Easily #1 cost the SD the game no ifs or buts.
The safety should have batted it down and SD get he ball back at SD 41.
He would have had to return that ball 20yds just to get it back to the 41....not a smart play.
I'm sorry but the defense are told what to do on 4th down all the times....don't intercept the ball just to pat your stats.

There were 6mins left and up by 8 with the ball.
Worst case scenario is a tie by NE into OT.

I know Schottenheimer have been horrible in the playoffs but this game wasn't his fault.
Bonehead play by the safety.

LeiZaK

Diamond Member
May 25, 2005

Am I missing anything?

On # 3: It was Ed Reed, not Samari Rolle.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: BrokenVisage
Ready to go down in Fantasy Hockey this week Jax? :p

It's going to be a tough week for both of us. With Vokoun back, I like my chances :)

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: kmr1212
Eagles rookie guard has a false start after successfully converting a 4th and 10 in Saints territory. :(

Holding on the Bush TD run that was blatant and not called.
Phantom illegal contact on Dhani Jones.
4th and 15 punt.
The entire Saints team pushing and pulling Deuce into the end zone.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
The Chargers player getting the headbutt personal foul really stands out to me only because it was a deadball penalty that resulted in NE continuing a drive that had just stalled.

My biggest surprise of the weekend was Patriots WR Jabar Gafney making 10 receptions for over 150 yards! Dude only had 11 receptions for 140-something yards during the entire season.

pmoa

Platinum Member
Dec 24, 2001

The ruling now is that he must make a "football move".

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
(1) Martys challenge of the obvious fumble on the 4th quarter interception which cost SD what turned out to be a critical timeout.

(2) Reed punting the ball away to NO on 4th & 15 with less then 2 minutes on the clock.

There were others, mainly in the SD/NE game ... but these two really stand out in my mind as the most significant.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
definitely the pf after the 3rd down play that kept NE alive