Big website's beta redesign is very similar to my little website

MagdeRidingtonz

Oct 9, 2009
In early summer I started a deals website and forum. Its overall design has not changed since May or June.

FW has a beta version of their new design (to see it, just add 'beta.' before URL), the overall scheme and menu layout of which is strikingly similar to my site's. I think it's quite likely that FW is aware of my site and borrowed from its' design. This is quite annoying because now anybody new to my site will think we copied FW. Anything at all that can be done?

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Give out free ipods, that will sort everything out.

Just contact the Fatties and alter them to your situation. If needed, seek legal help.
Whatever you do, DO NOT post the link or title, or even allude to, your website here.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
In other words, FW hired you to drive traffic to their new beta site?

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: MagdeRidingtonz
In early summer I started a deals website and forum. Its overall design has not changed since May or June.

FW has a beta version of their new design (to see it, just add 'beta.' before URL), the overall scheme and menu layout of which is strikingly similar to my site's. I think it's quite likely that FW is aware of my site and borrowed from its' design. This is quite annoying because now anybody new to my site will think we copied FW. Anything at all that can be done?

:roll:

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
Slickdeals > fatwallet

This. And the new site looks like half the other sites on the web now. Looks a lot like mint.com to me, actually.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Do you have any copyright or other intellectual property protection for your work?

If so, write or phone fatwallet. If your work is protected, they may be willing to work with you. They may not, but it won't know until you ask. :)

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
The beta FW looks very similar to Pricegrabber too. Sucks to be you. Change your layout.

MagdeRidingtonz

Oct 9, 2009
Originally posted by: Crono
Originally posted by: oogabooga
No default avatar.. interesting..

We have an uppity* spammer

* Racism not intended

Some good detective work there.

So anyone making a 1st post asking a question about something is a spammer? Seems quite fatuous - especially when I didn't even post a link to my site.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
You're both offering the same service. What did you expect? The design is different, the navigation is actually cleaner IMO, and their design is more professional (though plain). I agree with A5.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002

* Racism not intended

So anyone making a 1st post asking a question about something is a spammer? Seems quite fatuous - especially when I didn't even post a link to my site.

Ok, at least you just confirmed that you're not a spammer. Don't take it personel, but you have no idea how many bots there are spamming their websites here.

MagdeRidingtonz

Oct 9, 2009
Originally posted by: Regs
You're both offering the same service. What did you expect? The design is different, the navigation is actually cleaner IMO, and their design is more professional (though plain). I agree with A5.

LOL - what are you comparing it to? I never posted my site.

Oct 27, 2007
Originally posted by: Regs

:confused::confused:

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001

* Racism not intended

Well, we've seen many spammers make a few posts, sometimes obscuring their intentions rather cleverly.

If you really made your first post here just for help and input, then I retract my view of you being a spammer.

MagdeRidingtonz

Oct 9, 2009

* Racism not intended

Well, we've seen many spammers make a few posts, sometimes obscuring their intentions rather cleverly.

If you really made your first post here just for help and input, then I retract my view of you being a spammer.

OK, I can understand that there are a lot of spammers on the internets. However, I never posted my website's url, so how could I be spamming? Or do you think FW would have someone make a post on AT to try and get people to visit their beta site?

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
OK, I can understand that there are a lot of spammers on the internets. However, I never posted my website's url, so how could I be spamming? Or do you think FW would have someone make a post on AT to try and get people to visit their beta site?

Like I said, if you don't post any links I won't suspect anything.

MagdeRidingtonz

Oct 9, 2009

Like I said, if you don't post any links I won't suspect anything.

OK, just as long as everything is good with you then we're in the clear. Thanks!