Big Tech about to get x'ed in EU

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I'd like to underscore this part

"Now, the EU is dramatically escalating its antitrust war on Big Tech, and the Silicon Valley giants have been frantically trying to shape it to their own ends. According to the independently funded Brussels-based campaign group Corporate Europe Observatory, more than 150 meetings between Big Tech and EU officials have been logged since the start of the current European Commission in late 2019, involving 103 organizations.

But interviews with EU officials, lawmakers, and others suggest their efforts have been ham-fisted and largely in vain—and major companies are now shifting their attention to how they might comply with the legislation rather than derail it."

It sure sounds like these big money corps are not used to getting told NO.

There's lots of things to improve with the EU for sure... and then there is the stuff that *do* work, and this Vestager operator is un-bribable.

Reactions: Thump553

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I've actually met Margrethe Vestager a couple of times, as she is member of the same party as me here in Denmark. She is just really unimpressed with displays of power.

Lots of bad things can be said about EU, but their roots in trade agreements and a free and open market, is something they really do take seriously.

Reactions: cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I've actually met Margrethe Vestager a couple of times, as she is member of the same party as me here in Denmark. She is just really unimpressed with displays of power.

Lots of bad things can be said about EU, but their roots in trade agreements and a free and open market, is something they really do take seriously.

As much as I didnt like her in DK politics I am equally proud of her work in the EU. She is, as I believe its called, an idealist.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

We don't know what's that's like.

We have 45% of the population that votes based on farcically delusional versions of reality
Trump-Tank-3x5-Flag__36993.1569011261.1280.1280__96597.1636136206.jpg

Last edited:

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
We don't know what's that's like.

We have 45% of the population that votes based on farcically delusional versions of reality
Trump-Tank-3x5-Flag__36993.1569011261.1280.1280__96597.1636136206.jpg
Sculpture of a raised middle finger in the office of Europe's commutation csar Margrethe Vestager. The current European Union Commissioner for Competition says that this sculpture was sent by people unhappy with her work but that she kept it as a reminder that one can't please everyone in politics.
4BYM5MXTHTBV525ZQR7VL6LR44.jpg

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I'd like to underscore this part

"Now, the EU is dramatically escalating its antitrust war on Big Tech, and the Silicon Valley giants have been frantically trying to shape it to their own ends. According to the independently funded Brussels-based campaign group Corporate Europe Observatory, more than 150 meetings between Big Tech and EU officials have been logged since the start of the current European Commission in late 2019, involving 103 organizations.

But interviews with EU officials, lawmakers, and others suggest their efforts have been ham-fisted and largely in vain—and major companies are now shifting their attention to how they might comply with the legislation rather than derail it."

It sure sounds like these big money corps are not used to getting told NO.

There's lots of things to improve with the EU for sure... and then there is the stuff that *do* work, and this Vestager operator is un-bribable.
Hell, I see big tech ads almost daily claiming the "government" is affecting their ability to innovate new tech in this country. No details, I have no idea what they are bitching about. Being more specific would help. Seems to be some general plea like Leave us the F alone.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Good Government governs well. Corporations exist on the whim of Government. Something that should not be forgotten.

Reactions: hal2kilo