Question Big SSD, 1TB or 2TB, for copying large video files

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Scour

Aug 13, 2008
Hello!

I need a big SSD, 1TB or 2TB, for copying large video files, often 200-300GB in a row. Should I care about DRAM or not?

These SSDs are in my (price-)scope

Kingston A400

Patriot P200

Sandisk SSD Plus

WD Green

I´m not sure about the Sandisk, but the Patriot seems to be the only one of them with 3D-NAND,

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
You guys got too dramatic.
It's a disk. It wears out and you replace it.

300GB every 2-3 weeks => 7TB/year.
Any SSD will last him for years.

Seriously, with your needs, buy whatever you want. :)
People get carried away overthinking such things. You asked on a PC enthusiast forum, you got PC enthusiasts' answers. :)

Which doesn't change the fact that the SSDs you've mentioned in the first post aren't the best in the price range. Get the MX500.

he explained workflow, and it was not what we mostly assumed.

300GB every 2-3 weeks is not the same as 300GB dump used several times per day like a LARC cache drive.

To be honest, i do not understand why you just don't use a magnetic spinner.
You say you copy from an external SSD. I am assuming USB3.0? or you on TB3?
Is the SSD a USB nVME? regardless you will be cap'd at the bandwidth speed of the external connector.

Scour

Aug 13, 2008
USB3.0, speeds around 280MB/s. Maybe the first GBs it don´t have max. speed to use the whole SLC-cache speed, but depending on the size of the cache and the speed of used NANDs the USB-SSD will be faster than most internal entry-SSDs

The 860 QVO 2TB drops down to 150MB/s after 100GB in a row, the 1TB to 75MB/s after 50GB

I used HDD till some years ago and it´s not good for my cutting/editing. It stuck and hangs if I move the adjuster (hope it´s correct translated) to trigger to the scene I will cut. I like it more smooth :)

I tested it with a smaller SSD and it works much better than HDD.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
can i ask what platform (cpu + board) you have?
Have you considered Raid 0?

It seems like the data on the SSD is not mission critical.
Having them in a Raid 0 will effectively double the life of said SSD's as your spreading the data across both disks.
You will also have a faster IOP at the cost of latency which is moot when dealing with SSD.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That's interesting that you say RAID-0 will effectively double the life of said SSDs. As I have two Intel 660p 1TB NVMe SSDs in RAID-0 on my Asus B450-F ROG STRIX Gaming ATX board, in Win10 Pro 64-bit.

I had always just assumed that the drives would actually undergo MORE writes to them, due to stripe-size inefficiencies, etc. But I was willing to risk that. (I backup to NAS every morning, just in case one or more of the SSDs puke. But they're Intel; they're darn reliable, even for QLC... :p )

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I had always just assumed that the drives would actually undergo MORE writes to them, due to stripe-size inefficiencies, etc

you still got the same data splitting across 2 drives, hence double the life.
This only applies to RAID 0. Raid 5 or 6 or 10 this does not apply.

Scour

Aug 13, 2008
can i ask what platform (cpu + board) you have?
Have you considered Raid 0?

Well, I want to use it first on a Fujitsu D3231-S with Q87-chipset but it´s also possible to use it in a Notebook with Intel 5-series, so a single SSD is my choice.

I know both are not actual but for my movie-cutting without re-encoding (except some single frames on cut) the CPU-power isn´t a problem, speed of SSD matters more.

But they're Intel; they're darn reliable, even for QLC... :p )

Is there a test of the longevity of QLC-SSDs? I had only one SSD (and have many) from my bunch of MLC/TLC-drives which had some defect sectors and unreadable files, it was a MX300. I made some benchmarks, the SSD looks OK and I copied some data on it. Suddenly SMART shows 7 reallocated sectors and had some unreadable files.

southleft

May 11, 2018
Crucial MX500 could be a good choice for you.

If you're not into spending a lot yet still want reliable performance when working with large files you should definitely consider the MX500 2TB (or 1TB) model.

Look at the test results at the link below. Scroll down and see both of these charts:
"PCMark 8 Advanced Workload Performance" (on this chart Higher is better).
and
"Total Service Time" (on this chart Lower is better).

Scour

Aug 13, 2008
I don´t see anything ^^

I ordered a WD 3D and for compare a Patriot P200.

Maybe because I have a MX500 250GB and want to try other SSDs ;)

Or because I trust Sandisk-TLC a bit more than Micron