Big gaps between cars at the stoplight

Daishiki

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2001
I may be missing something here, but often times I see cars with 10, 15, or more feet in front of them while waiting at the light. I don't see them talking on the phone or rocking out to music. They're just staring straight ahead, waiting for traffic to move. I know to keep a buffer distance between the next car and myself, but 2 or 3 car lanes wide seems ridiculous. Thoughts?

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
It isn't like they're slowing you down, so is it really important? At a stop light I honestly couldn't care as long as they get out of the gate in good order. (sometimes I leave quite a bit of space and then take off, just to have some fun!)

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
Maybe they are leaving them self an out for flying bullets, drug dealer, etc.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
I hate when cars just creep, creep, and creep more.....annoys the hell outta me when they do that for some reason.

QFMFT

Wears my clutch for no reason. :|

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: GenHoth
It isn't like they're slowing you down, so is it really important? At a stop light I honestly couldn't care as long as they get out of the gate in good order. (sometimes I leave quite a bit of space and then take off, just to have some fun!)

It may not be a problem when traffic is light, but I see it happen here during the middle of rush hour when every bit of space is needed just to accommodate the amount of cars on the road.

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: amdskip
Maybe they are leaving them self an out for flying bullets, drug dealer, etc.

LOLZ...seriously though, I was taught in driving school to leave a 2-3 car gap at an intersection so you can creep forward (or pull out into a turning lane) if you're in danger of getting rear-ended. If you have a line-up of cars behind you, only a 1-car gap is necessary.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
I always leave enough gap between me and the next car to be able to see the bottom of the rear tires over my bonnet.

Also, I never creep forward if they do.
I rarely pull ahead if the made a right turn on red and leaves a full car length of a gap.
If I can park under a tree's shade during the summer when stopped at a light, I will stop there, unless it's more more than a full car length.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
I was told that you should leave enough room so that you can see the bottom of the rear tires of the vehicle in front of you touching the ground, with a little bit more if you're driving an SUV or anything sitting up higher.

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
certain stop-lights (especially left-turn arrows) are activated when cars park over sensors in the road. sometimes these sensors are imbedded a few feet back from the light so they are activated only when traffic builds up. maybe these drivrs know where these sensors are. i know aroud here these are usually easy to see.

Daishiki

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2001

It doesn't really bother me. It's just something that I'm curious about. The only time I would be peeved by it would be if they were keeping me from entering the left turn lane while having a 2-3 car gap in front of them.

Daishiki

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2001
Originally posted by: RKS
certain stop-lights (especially left-turn arrows) are activated when cars park over sensors in the road. sometimes these sensors are imbedded a few feet back from the light so they are activated only when traffic builds up. maybe these drivrs know where these sensors are. i know aroud here these are usually easy to see.

That would be understandable. The ones I usually see, though, aren't at the head of the pack.

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
When I have enough space in front of me, it's because the cars in front of me creeped forward and there's no reason for me to move. It's a freaking red light. And I love it when the cars behind me creep forward despite me not moving. If someone has their turn signal on I'll scooch forward.

Mr Incognito

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2007
Well if you get rear ended (this actually happened to me in August, in Compton,CA of all places) your foot could be jarred from the brake peddle and if you are too close, you will roll into the car in front of you. Shit happens man, might as well be prepared.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Ten feet seems reasonable. It helps if you get rear ended by a retard on a phone. It helps even more if you're on a motorcycle, so the same "getaway" principle may apply here as well.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: MrPickins
I hate when cars just creep, creep, and creep more.....annoys the hell outta me when they do that for some reason.

QFMFT

QFGDT!!!!!!!!!!

I lovers my clutch

:roll: You don't have to move as slow as they do. Sit still until they come to a stop, and then move forward. It's not rocket science. Yes, I drive a stick as well.

imported_stev

Oct 27, 2005
I think in many cases, it is because lots of people have no idea where their car is!

I swear some people think that if they can't see it over their hood, then their bumper is hitting it. So, they stop way shorter than they have to because they don't know better. Fortunately, it does help keep from a chain reaction rear-end collision happening so I guess it's one of those cases where ignorance causes people to do a safe thing.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
There are a variety of reasons to do so. My uncle was a professional bodyguard for years and taught me about always leaving yourself an out, just in case. Who knows if the guy in front of you and the guy behind you are friends and want your car, your money, or your life? It's also a good idea in the event of an accident. I drive a car that sits fairly low to the ground. If I got rear ended and pushed into the back of a pick-up truck, SUV, or big rig, I'm not going to have a head left. Those extra 10 feet could save my life by either giving my slammed into car time to stop or giving me room to avoid the rear ending completely.

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Originally posted by: Daishiki

It doesn't really bother me. It's just something that I'm curious about. The only time I would be peeved by it would be if they were keeping me from entering the left turn lane while having a 2-3 car gap in front of them.

They just don't know how to drive, that's all.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan
Originally posted by: MrPickins

QFMFT

QFGDT!!!!!!!!!!

I lovers my clutch

:roll: You don't have to move as slow as they do. Sit still until they come to a stop, and then move forward. It's not rocket science. Yes, I drive a stick as well.
what ? The point is to not have to use the clutch for a stupid 2-3foot drive...

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
You're supposed to leave enough distance so you could easily drive around the car in front of you; most of the people I see would prefer to park up someone's ass at the lights.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Originally posted by: lupi
You're supposed to leave enough distance so you could easily drive around the car in front of you; most of the people I see would prefer to park up someone's ass at the lights.

I hate that, especially if it is an incline...I have rolled back pretty far sometimes ...