Big cable tries outlawing municipal broadband in Kansas

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Verizon offers the following where I live:
All are fiber
25/15 Mbps 39.99/mo
50/25 Mbps 49.99/mo < this is what I have
75/50 Mbps 69.99/mo
150/150 Mbps 129.99/mo
300/300 Mbps 249.99/mo

Charter offers the following:
NON FIBER
30/10 Mbps 39.99/mo
50/20 Mbps 79.99/mo
The actual speeds you get with verizon tend to be about 10-20% faster than advertised, but I find it odd that the $/Mbps get better up to a point, then get worse.

Until the servers that actually host a lot of the content on the start updating that's probably the wisest choice for the average user. The majority of the time I am still not maxing out my 20Mbps Time Warner.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
Burn it all down, then nobody will have it, but it will be fair right?

AT&T and Comcast ecstatic about the FCC&#8217;s new chairman

President Barack Obama today announced his choice to run the Federal Communications Commission... the nominee is Tom Wheeler, formerly a lobbyist at the top of the cable and wireless industries, leading the National Cable Television Association (NCTA) and Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association (CTIA).

The nomination continues the parade of lobbyists becoming government officials and vice versa, a trend that has favored moneyed interests over the average American citizen and consumer time and again...

... Wheeler donated $38,500 to Obama's election efforts and helped raise additional money for Obama by becoming a "bundler," arranging for large contributions from other donors after hitting legal limits on personal contributions.

Not surprisingly, the cable and telecom companies that Wheeler springs from are ecstatic...
Not wanting to overlook previous administrations and previous FCC Commissioners...

FCC Commissioner who voted &#8216;yes&#8217; to NBC buyout heads to Comcast

A Commissioner of the Federal Communications Commission who voted to approve the controversial merger of telecommunications giant Comcast and NBC Universal is now taking a job with Comcast as a Washington lobbyist.

Meredith Attwell Baker, a Republican FCC Commissioner who formerly worked in the Commerce Department for President George W. Bush, was one of four FCC Commissioners who voted in January to approve Comcast&#8217;s $13.75 billion deal to purchase controlling stakes of NBC Universal and General Electric Co.
Fair for Comcast that contributes 20 plus million dollars to the politicians? Not to mention providing employment for former FCC commissioners that have approved their business dealing.

Fair for the politicians that received 20 plus million dollars from Comcast?

Fair for you and I?

Not so much.

Uno

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You haven't seen McOwned's revolution desires?

Sure but I take everything posted like that with a grain of salt. And in reality, he's right. If the American people don't fight back, whether that means voting in new politicians or forcing new laws (or fewer laws in this case) allowing more competition, they actually do get what they deserve.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Sure but I take everything posted like that with a grain of salt. And in reality, he's right. If the American people don't fight back, whether that means voting in new politicians or forcing new laws (or fewer laws in this case) allowing more competition, they actually do get what they deserve.

He would be right if that is what he was advocating. He has repeatedly called for much, much more drastic measures.