Big BLU...EDIT: It's a 30,000-pound GPS-guided bomb with a colbat-alloy penetrating warhead

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001

<< Tridents? Wow, that was a while back >>

You're thinking of something else. Trident is our current SSBN. I left the USS Louisiana (SSBN 743) in August. We currently have 18 commissioned, 10 in Kings Bay, GA- 8 in Bangor, WA. Current plans are to convert the first four to carry Tomahawk instead of Trident missiles to comply with START/SALT. The remaining Trident I 's ( 730-733) will be back fitted with Trident II missiles currently carried onboard 734-743. The four SSGN's will be a very capable platform. Current plans call for her to carry 192 Tomahawks each. Stealthy, fast, lethal.

911- I went to boot camp from May-July 1984. I was in one of the 900 companies (state flags) and I haven't been there since. Never been stationed in Orlando.

Chief

vash

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2001

<< This is such BS!!! why can't our government "rush" to solve homelessness at home, or to save the environment or give us better schools. Aholes, always wanting to cause war. >>

I don't know if you know this, but declaring war brings jobs and pumps money into the economy faster than any governemtn sponsored program. Look at the great depression and how WWII pulled us out, or even the Gulf War pulled us out of a recession.

Now look at the times. We have Bush as president, who is a Republican (typically pro business, and pro military) and we are in a bit of recession. What faster way to get out and help put his name in the history books? WAR! Sure, its not pretty, but with this war, he's trying to assure himself a reelection in a few years.

vash

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001

<< Now look at the times. We have Bush as president, who is a Republican (typically pro business, and pro military) and we are in a bit of recession. What faster way to get out and help put his name in the history books? WAR! Sure, its not pretty, but with this war, he's trying to assure himself a reelection in a few years. >>

Yep, you're right on the money. War mongering Republicans.
rolleye.gif

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
I thought the current SSBN were the 726s (Ohio-Class) ?

The only others I had heard about were the fast attack 688/688i Los Angeles class and the Seawolf class. And the Virginia class that is still being developed.

<<

<< Tridents? Wow, that was a while back >>

You're thinking of something else. Trident is our current SSBN. I left the USS Louisiana (SSBN 743) in August. We currently have 18 commissioned, 10 in Kings Bay, GA- 8 in Bangor, WA. Current plans are to convert the first four to carry Tomahawk instead of Trident missiles to comply with START/SALT. The remaining Trident I 's ( 730-733) will be back fitted with Trident II missiles currently carried onboard 734-743. The four SSGN's will be a very capable platform. Current plans call for her to carry 192 Tomahawks each. Stealthy, fast, lethal.
>>

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001

<< I thought the current SSBN were the 726s (Ohio-Class) ? >>

Trident=Ohio class. SSBN 726- 743. We always refer to them as Tridents or boomers.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
Ah ok I see, when you Tridents for some reason I thought back to some really old subs. I had never heard it referred that way.

EDIT: BTW, I had a feeling without you even saying anything that you were a boomer guy. :D

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001

<< This is such BS!!! why can't our government "rush" to solve homelessness at home, or to save the environment or give us better schools. Aholes, always wanting to cause war. >>

since when is the government responsible for finding people jobs? if i want a job, will the government find one for me? it'd make things easier for me.
rolleye.gif

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
since when is the government responsible for finding people jobs?

Sure it does, they are all at the post office and the DMV.

rolleye.gif

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001

<< since when is the government responsible for finding people jobs?

Sure it does, they are all at the post office and the DMV.

rolleye.gif
>>

don't even get me started about those assholes... (note: i speak in generalizations)

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
...and will be packed with some 30,000 pounds of high explosive

TWO TIMES larger than the BLU-82 which is dropped from C-130s (the incorrectly named "Daisy cutter"). OMG that is one large bomb. I can just picture Saddam right now grabbing a pickaxe and a shovel at the bottom of his bunker...