Biden makes Juneteenth a national holiday

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
It's about time someone makes an effort to correct the whitewashing of history by acknowledging reality. The majority was always rewrote history to favor themselves. Things like this will help with reversing that travesty. For those of you who will bitch about the new holiday, write to Biden and tell him to revoke Columbus Day. That's one of those holidays based on a lie.

Biden makes Juneteenth a national holiday, giving federal employees Friday off (msn.com)

Feb 4, 2009
I am all for adding more holidays even if they only apply to State or Federal workers. We all work too much.
I do have to ask, I never heard of Juneteenth until a few years ago, is this really an important thing to black folks?
Also seethe post above

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

i mean, it's a good start, but it needs to followed through with real action and that doesn't happen enough, perhaps make federal election day a holiday along with Juneteenth? (Rename Columbus day to something else, we don't have enough holidays)
If we can get past Manchin and the filibuster there will be more substantive accomplishments.

For now it's a small accomplishment real history is being exposed and can't hide behind the lies of the majority.

Juiblex

Banned
Sep 26, 2016
I am all for adding more holidays even if they only apply to State or Federal workers. We all work too much.
I do have to ask, I never heard of Juneteenth until a few years ago, is this really an important thing to black folks?
Also seethe post above

Funny. Most people say State and Federal workers don't work hard enough. :) They are the slowest and laziest bunch of them all since everybody knows they're never gonna get fired. At least that's the stereotype. I wouldn't know. I've always worked for corporations.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Funny. Most people say State and Federal workers don't work hard enough. :) They are the slowest and laziest bunch of them all since everybody knows they're never gonna get fired. At least that's the stereotype. I wouldn't know. I've always worked for corporations.
It's a stereotype. There are lazy people wherever you go.
It's just another way to get people to think "government is bad"

Reactions: soundforbjt
Feb 4, 2009

I was one of them but not any longer. We all are expected to work too much, compensated too little for that work.
I am done with being jealous of someone because they have “easier work” or “more time off” or “better retirement”
I am done.
Petty jealousies are just that. Whatever dude you are jealous of has simply navigated his career better and you should learn from that PLUS expect more.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Probably as disfunctional as all large organizations, being public or private.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Fox News and the rest of the right wing media love a self loathing black person willing to trash their own. Really you bitch, Juneteenth is repackaging segregation? And before I hear "you attack her because she disagrees with you", give me one iota of reality that justifies the accusation acknowledging Juneteenth is "repackaging segregation"

Traitors to their race can clearly make a good living in the right wing asylum.

Azealia Banks responds to Candace Owens’ Juneteenth criticism (yahoo.com)

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Of course Republicans don't like Juneteenth. Any reminder of this countries real history must be stricken.
If you had named it emancipation day, they would have been less able to talk shit about it. Least not without revealing their ill intent.

Nov 29, 2006
Of course Republicans don't like Juneteenth. Any reminder of this countries real history must be stricken.

Same jackass/GOP that wants people to pass a civics test, or face military or first responder time in order to vote at 18. I bet most people in government couldnt pass a civics test.