Biden Campaign Snags Trump Campaign Domain

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
:thumbsup: The fact youre voting is the most important thing. Its great to have choices.

Sure, but are you asserting in this thread that you won't be voting for Biden because of this?

Side note: Are you done with saying Biden is hijacking the domain?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
You stated Steyer bought it based on the limited information we have, which I read last night, but I haven't actually seen where he renewed the site.

He obviously bought a 4 year lease, as the original owners did if you follow the IANA registration info.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Sure, but are you asserting in this thread that you won't be voting for Biden because of this?

Side note: Are you done with saying Biden is hijacking the domain?

This has NOTHING to do with why I wont vote for Biden. And I never said in this thread Biden hijacked it. Did you typo? Ive said all along he DIDNT.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
This has NOTHING to do with why I wont vote for Biden. And I never said in this thread Biden hijacked it. Did you typo? Ive said all along he DIDNT.

No, go back to post #48 and start from there. don't start this nonsense again, it seems like we were having a reasonable conversation... I asked how it changed hands, you linked to "what is domain hijacking", I asked you for evidence, you point me back at domain registrations....

I mean, if you don't plan on voting for Biden, it's kinda weird that you would be here, doing what you are. Don't get me wrong, I like digging thru domain registrations, but if you don't plan on voting for Biden regardless, then lol.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
He obviously bought a 4 year lease, as the original owners did if you follow the IANA registration info.

Well, that may be, but the only registration info I've come up with so far doesn't say anything about the actual owner or the license stuff. Now, it's been quite sometime since I've dug thru this data of info. The expiration does seem to be 8 years from the original registration date tho.

I also haven't found anything else about Steyers involvement since the 2019 articles.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Furthermore, this was NEVER Trump's website. It has, at least for all of this year, has been an anti-Trump website.

This whole story is made up with no research whatsoever. Its all false.

the whole story is made up? It's fake?

You might want to consider what you are saying.

Reactions: Aegeon

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
FURTHERMORE...the original website was created by a group of ex-military vets who were selling, yes, Trump t-shirts, but also keep america great gear. The original owners donated 50% of their proceeds to Fisher House, which benefits military families. This was in 2017.

I guess the Trump tshirts pissed someone off.

Sources for my info:
1. IANA
2. archive.org

I hope whoever snagged it is happy about taking money out of military families that need help.

A lot of the military is walking back their support of Trump, and perhaps these guys have too, because they don't think supporting blatant fascism in the US is a good look for the military. It's possible the domain slid because they are done with Trump.

But it's funny, thinking that selling MAGA gear is a good idea to "help military families." yeah, right. The only effective way to help military families is to dissolve the entire GOP, which has been dumping on them for generations.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
You stated Steyer bought it based on the limited information we have, which I read last night, but I haven't actually seen where he renewed the site.

It doesnt appear there are ownership transfers since he bought it last year, but the site is now funded by the Biden for President organization as of july this year, after Steyer's failed attempt last year to campaign for POTUS. July is shortly after Steyer endorsed Biden. Although its impossible to tell who the actual owner is at this point, it is likely still owned by Steyer, as domains are usually bought for 4 year terms. The current IANA info shows the domain is active through June 2023, which would coincide with a 4 year lease from 2019.

That said, if you look at the website after Steyer bought it in 2019 vs the domain now, its essentially the same (anti-Trump). Likely the Biden for President organization is paying for it, without a change in ownership. The owner, who we know was Steyer as of last year, is hiding behind the registrar, GoDaddy.

That said, I need to walk back my statement of Biden doesnt own it (I mean, he doesnt own it personally, but his organization is certainly paying for it). But my comment regarding Trump never owned it are still true. Thats verifiable via archive.org.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
It doesnt appear there are ownership transfers since he bought it last year, but the site is now funded by the Biden for President organization as of july this year, after Steyer's failed attempt last year to campaign for POTUS. July is shortly after Steyer endorsed Biden. Although its impossible to tell who the actual owner is at this point, it is likely still owned by Steyer, as domains are usually bought for 4 year terms. The current IANA info shows the domain is active through June 2023, which would coincide with a 4 year lease from 2019.

That said, if you look at the website after Steyer bought it in 2019 vs the domain now, its essentially the same (anti-Trump). Likely the Biden for President organization is paying for it, without a change in ownership. The owner, who we know was Steyer as of last year, is hiding behind the registrar, GoDaddy.

That said, I need to walk back my statement of Biden doesnt own it (I mean, he doesnt own it personally, but his organization is certainly paying for it). But my comment regarding Trump never owned it are still true. Thats verifiable via archive.org.

Fair enough.

Just to reiterate, the article doesn't actually say Trump ever owned it. It is just sensationalizing that fact that Trump's campaign didn't get it at all, even though Trump's floated the slogan in 2019, and this is typically something Trump would claim he's the best at, branding.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Fair enough.

Just to reiterate, the article doesn't actually say Trump ever owned it. It is just sensationalizing that fact that Trump's campaign didn't get it at all, even though Trump's floated the slogan in 2019, and this is typically something Trump would claim he's the best at, branding.

You have to agree the average voter isnt 1. focused enough on what the words actually say, and 2. dont know how to validate things like this. P&N is a niche of mostly technical people, and folks like us tend to focus on the details. No, the article doesnt specifically say it, but a passerby could easily assume that. Its all word play.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
You have to agree the average voter isnt 1. focused enough on what the words actually say, and 2. dont know how to validate things like this. P&N is a niche of mostly technical people, and folks like us tend to focus on the details. No, the article doesnt specifically say it, but a passerby could easily assume that. Its all word play.

Yep, that's what I've been saying from the get go, glad we agree! The article words things in a way to draw a conclusion.

I also agree that this place is a niche. This back and forth has only made me want more information about who owns the site and pays for it. I don't know godaddys ToS, but I doubt they'd release client info.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

wait, are you suggesting that specific, direct words don't have to be said in order to infer obvious meaning about a concept? ...is this a breakthrough???

saving this for later. ...and maybe you could help explain this concept to pcgeek while you're at it?

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Yep, that's what I've been saying from the get go, glad we agree! The article words things in a way to draw a conclusion.

I also agree that this place is a niche. This back and forth has only made me want more information about who owns the site and pays for it. I don't know godaddys ToS, but I doubt they'd release client info.

According to the website itself, on the bottom right hand corner, it says paid for by Biden For President (organization). Nothing I can find readily available shows who actually owns it.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
According to the website itself, on the bottom right hand corner, it says paid for by Biden For President (organization). Nothing I can find readily available shows who actually owns it.

Lol, makes me wonder if Bidens campaign actually paid for complete ownership, could be, which could be why the articles are saying he snagged it.

balbogun

Sep 28, 2020
This is pretty good, made me chuckle. Russia, if you're listening, ddos this domain please and dox the owner
Russians in their pajamas, say there is no drama, we gonna explore 33 ways to ddos attack and hack America great again LOL.
Trump is a known Russian puppet: https://www.comedycentral.co.uk/new...hes-the-least-competent-president-of-all-time
Do not let him know how to deploy
33 TYPES OF DDOS ATTACKS. https://journalofcyberpolicy.com/2020/10/02/33-types-of-ddos-attacks-dissected/
He might be thinking he needs some javelins to hack.

Feb 4, 2009
This aged well

actually it did, Biden won most of thoseStates by smaller margins than projected. Biden did not win FL and lost OH by a good margin.
Polling is broken, yes polling predicted the assumed winner better this election but way under counted the deplorable's again.

Admittedly it isn’t fair or useful to compare any August polling to November