Biden Campaign Snags Trump Campaign Domain

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
No it was never a pro-Trump website. It was bought by a group oif vets selling pro-American gear, who donated 50% of their proceeds to a military family support group. And, it has been an anti-Trump website after the domain was hijacked, for at least a year.

I get it but it doesn’t make the event less funny

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I get it but it doesn’t make the event less funny

I agree the thought of this happening is funny, but I personally dont think Biden would do this. Thats what caused me to research the whole history of domain registration and what the website ACTUALLY contained when it was registered in 2015. It didnt take long to discover Politico's story was made up.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Oh, so your answer is no.

Look. The info on domain registration is publicly accessible. Im not going to post a wall of text and pictures. If youre truly interested, do it yourself (we both know youre not). I already did it, and posted my sources.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Look. The info on domain registration is publicly accessible. Im not going to post a wall of text and pictures. If youre truly interested, do it yourself (we both know youre not). I already did it, and posted my sources.

No, you posted the registrar information. You haven't provided any evidence the domain was hijacked. You provided background that the domain was originally registered in 2015, and has been "anti-trump" since then.

Politico is sorry to see you go. But you may want to stop viewing the other websites that reported on this too.

Kudos on not filling this thread with repeated red herrings tho, that's progress!

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
No, you posted the registrar information. You haven't provided any evidence the domain was hijacked. You provided background that the domain was originally registered in 2015, and has been "anti-trump" since then.

Politico is sorry to see you go. But you may want to stop viewing the other websites that reported on this too.

Kudos on not filling this thread with repeated red herrings tho, that's progress!

Actually it looks like it was bought by Tom Steyer last year, possibly squatted. The timeline of things looks like the following:

1. Original domain was started by a group of vets selling pro-American gear. This is provable by looking at the original website through time at archive.org. HERE is the accompanying Facebook page for the original owner.
#KeepAmericaGreat promotes a positive message to Keep America Great! Much of the proceeds from our quality products support veterans and military families through the Fisher House Non-Profit Organization.
2. Online records show the domain name was first launched on June 25, 2015. Trump formally launched his campaign on June 16, 2015. However, Trump, whose initial campaign slogan was “Make America Great Again,” didn’t officially announce his 2020 slogan, “Keep America Great,” until early 2017, more than a year after the domain first launched.
3. Steyer picked it up after realizing Trump didnt, although, again, the Keep America Great slogan was created AFTER Steyer bought it.

So, bottom line, the assertions by Political are still false, Biden did not buy the domain, and Trump never owned it.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Actually it looks like it was bought by Tom Steyer last year, possibly squatted. The timeline of things looks like the following:

1. Original domain was started by a group of vets selling pro-American gear. This is provable by looking at the original website through time at archive.org. HERE is the accompanying Facebook page for the original owner.
2. Online records show the domain name was first launched on June 25, 2015. Trump formally launched his campaign on June 16, 2015. However, Trump, whose initial campaign slogan was “Make America Great Again,” didn’t officially announce his 2020 slogan, “Keep America Great,” until early 2017, more than a year after the domain first launched.
3. Steyer picked it up after realizing Trump didnt, although, again, the Keep America Great slogan was created AFTER Steyer bought it.

So, bottom line, the assertions by Political are still false, Biden did not buy the domain, and Trump never owned it.

Right, we've been over this.

The Politico article does not state that Trump owned it. What I've said, more than once, is that the OP article words it in a way to draw that conclusion.

1. I'll take your word for it, I don't have a FB account, no problem

2. Yea, again, no problem. Trump didn't run with the KAG campaign until way after the domain was registered. I haven't argued otherwise, and never said you we're wrong. Somebody was planning ahead ;)

3. WRT to Steyer, the articles I've found are from late 2019, like the hill article you linked.. The OP article states Trump floated the KAG slogan prior to that. Also, "squatting" usually refers to a domain purchased with intent to not use it and "troll" somebody like a trademark owner. And if Steyer bought it from the original registrar, then he would still own it. Has anyone reported that Steyer sold it to anyone else?

The real bottom line is that KAG is popular among Trump supporters in the coming election, and this could impact it, but I doubt it. Looks like regular political games to me. There's no evidence that Biden has committed any wrong doing at this point either, so we should probably not jump to conclusions again.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Right, we've been over this.

The Politico article does not state that Trump owned it. What I've said, more than once, is that the OP article words it in a way to draw that conclusion.

1. I'll take your word for it, I don't have a FB account, no problem

2. Yea, again, no problem. Trump didn't run with the KAG campaign until way after the domain was registered. I haven't argued otherwise, and never said you we're wrong. Somebody was planning ahead ;)

3. WRT to Steyer, the articles I've found are from late 2019, like the hill article you linked.. The OP article states Trump floated the KAG slogan prior to that. Also, "squatting" usually refers to a domain purchased with intent to not use it and "troll" somebody like a trademark owner. And if Steyer bought it from the original registrar, then he would still own it. Has anyone reported that Steyer sold it to anyone else?

The real bottom line is that KAG is popular among Trump supporters in the coming election, and this could impact it, but I doubt it. Looks like regular political games to me. There's no evidence that Biden has committed any wrong doing at this point either, so we should probably not jump to conclusions again.

Agree. As I said, what started my own research into this was after reading the article in the OP. It didnt sound like something Biden would do. Either way, its a very misleading article that shouldnt have been published.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yep and theyre all spreading the lie that Biden did it all.

edit: I would love to see Bidem come out and say hey...Im seeing these articles about this website I supposedly took and trolled Trump. I didnt.

Why would you love to see that?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
To set the record straight. As I said, I think something like this is beneath him. Id like to see him distance himself from this fake news.

I would have to imagine that you will not be voting for R's anytime soon, as this bar is not attainable by anyone I've seen with an R next to their name. My point here is that the general populace seems to expect near perfection from the D's, while the R's literally make their campaign about actual 100% false information.

Reactions: soundforbjt

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
1. the Biden campaign has pulled its final act of the week: acquiring the web domain KeepAmericaGreat.com.
IANA does not list the owner. So its speculation.

2. When Trump launched his reelection campaign last year, he rolled out the “Keep America Great” as its official new slogan with great fanfare. But the Biden campaign recently learned the web domain was available and snagged it
This says Trump created this domain last year, which A. he didnt. The domain was created in 2015, and B that it was his website, which it never has been.

3.The site now lays out a top-to-bottom rebuke to the Trump administration, including his handling of coronavirus. “Promises Made, Promises Kept Broken,” the site’s home page screams. “Trump isn’t looking for a second term,” it charges. “He’s looking for a do-over.”
This domain has been anti Trump rhetoric for at least a year. This isnt a recent change.

I guess the rest of it is correct, but certainly not the main gist of the headline or the information contained therein. Anything having to do with the domain "keepamericagreat" in relation to Trump is absolutely FALSE and made up.

What is the basis for your contention that the site has been anti-Trump for at least a year? Links, please. And so what if it has been? Trump adopted KAG way back in 2017 & never acquired the domain. In the meanwhile, it's amusing that the Biden campaign snagged the domain & turned it against Trump, no matter when that occurred. Only recently did it occur to them to put out the story to drive traffic to the site.

You getting all twitchy just shows what an excellent troll it is.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I would have to imagine that you will not be voting for R's anytime soon, as this bar is not attainable by anyone I've seen with an R next to their name. My point here is that the general populace seems to expect near perfection from the D's, while the R's literally make their campaign about actual 100% false information.

In POTUS elections, I havent voted D or R in the last 4 elections. In senate or local elections, I vote both sides of the ticket.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
What is the basis for your contention that the site has been anti-Trump for at least a year? Links, please. And so what if it has been? Trump adopted KAG way back in 2017 & never acquired the domain. In the meanwhile, it's amusing that the Biden campaign snagged the domain & turned it against Trump, no matter when that occurred. Only recently did it occur to them to put out the story to drive traffic to the site.

You getting all twitchy just shows what an excellent troll it is.

First, Biden never acquired it. Tom Steyer bought it almost a year ago. Ive already proven that.

Click through any date you wish for the history of the site. Ive already posited my source for this information, and since youre too lazy to look yourself, Ill provide a link. Im not going to click around for you though.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
In POTUS elections, I havent voted D or R in the last 4 elections. In senate or local elections, I vote both sides of the ticket.

To be clear, this particular thing is so far down the list of shit to care about, it barely even registers on my GAF meter. I'll be voting D this year, for sure. It's the first time I really haven't had a reason not to. 2016 I voted Bernie, but my state is solid blue so it was an easy protest vote.

In local elections, I haven't seen an R candidate that wasn't a hardcore conservative, so not even gonna bother. I vote for who makes the best impression with policy and demeanor, which doesn't seem to be R's at all. I don't agree on social issues, financial issues, and they spout obvious lies on a regular basis.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Agree. As I said, what started my own research into this was after reading the article in the OP. It didnt sound like something Biden would do. Either way, its a very misleading article that shouldnt have been published.
I think I figured out who cares.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
To be clear, this particular thing is so far down the list of shit to care about, it barely even registers on my GAF meter. I'll be voting D this year, for sure. It's the first time I really haven't had a reason not to. 2016 I voted Bernie, but my state is solid blue so it was an easy protest vote.

In local elections, I haven't seen an R candidate that wasn't a hardcore conservative, so not even gonna bother. I vote for who makes the best impression with policy and demeanor, which doesn't seem to be R's at all. I don't agree on social issues, financial issues, and they spout obvious lies on a regular basis.

:thumbsup: The fact youre voting is the most important thing. Its great to have choices.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
First, Biden never acquired it. Tom Steyer bought it almost a year ago. Ive already proven that.

Click through any date you wish for the history of the site. Ive already posited my source for this information, and since youre too lazy to look yourself, Ill provide a link. Im not going to click around for you though.

You stated Steyer bought it based on the limited information we have, which I read last night, but I haven't actually seen where he renewed the site.