Biden admin winding down "remain in Mexico" policy, will start measured admittance of those registered.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Lol.. you have no clue how badly you've already owned yourself in this thread, do you?

Good times, bro, good times.

Please quote where Ive been either dishonest or wrong, and comment on it. Otherwise, STFU.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Biden's border policies are sadly not that different than Trump's, absent the gratuitous sadism. This is primarily due to a refusal of Republicans to address immigration though.

The answer to our border problem is extremely easy. Make it much easier to get a non-permanent resident permit to work in the US! Democrats keep trying to trade border enforcement and a crackdown on illegal immigration for more legal immigration but Republicans refuse to take yes for an answer because their real position is that immigration is bad.

Reactions: ElFenix

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The answer to our border problem is extremely easy. Make it much easier to get a non-permanent resident permit to work in the US! Democrats keep trying to trade border enforcement and a crackdown on illegal immigration for more legal immigration but Republicans refuse to take yes for an answer because their real position is that immigration is bad.

Even though the American public supports MORE legal immigration by a wide margin. Even Republicans.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Biden's border policies are sadly not that different than Trump's, absent the gratuitous sadism. This is primarily due to a refusal of Republicans to address immigration though.
I dont disagree. Nevertheless he's losing support.

Ill politely disagree. We need to have SAME safeguards in place from those trying to cross the border as we do from those immigrating from any other country.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I dont disagree. Nevertheless he's losing support.
Meh, I don't really care about that.

Ill politely disagree. We need to have SAME safeguards in place from those trying to cross the border as we do from those immigrating from any other country.
I don't understand what you're saying here. The current limit to immigration is not that those who want to come here lack qualifications or are flagged as unsafe, we simply cap the numbers far below where we should and some classes of lower-skill workers are almost impossible to clear to work here despite a current massive need for them.

We already had a bipartisan agreement on immigration reform that would have done a ton to help with this but Republicans scuttled it. It's annoying that they create border problems and then use them to demagogue against the people trying to solve them.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I'm sure the farmers would appreciate some kind of reform. True blooded Americans don't do no knee stooping work.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Employment-Based Immigrant Visas (state.gov)

There is much on that list folks coming from S America do not follow.

edit: Thats just for work visas, of course. Requirements for other types of visas. like family visas, are much more strict. I immigrated my wife so very familiar with this process.
That's because we explicitly exclude a lot of the work they come here to do from work visas. That was the proposed point of the W-Visa, which Republicans blocked.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Employment-Based Immigrant Visas (state.gov)

There is much on that list folks coming from S America do not follow.

edit: Thats just for work visas, of course. Requirements for other types of visas. like family visas, are much more strict. I immigrated my wife so very familiar with this process.

You might be confusing asylum claimants with economic migration. Anyway the caps on all the legal immigration categories are way too low to begin with.

A million plus people in the US just died from COVID and that's causing major economic drag via the labor supply. Letting more people in is exactly what we should be doing right now.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You might be confusing asylum claimants with economic migration. Anyway the caps on all the legal immigration categories are way too low to begin with.

A million plus people in the US just died from COVID and that's causing major economic drag via the labor supply. Letting more people in is exactly what we should be doing right now.
'We can't find workers, this is a catastrophe!'

'There's a ton of people outside the country who want to work here, how about them?'

'No.'

Reactions: hal2kilo and K1052

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

'There's a ton of people outside the country who want to work here, how about them?'

'No.'

Swear to god I hear relatives who own service businesses complain about migrants and not being able to find labor basically in the same breath. I suggested they go down to the border with job applications and I get really nasty looks lol.

Reactions: hal2kilo

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

'No.'

Sure bring em all in. As long as they follow the guidelines outlined by state.gov. Id be fine with that!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Sure bring em all in. As long as they follow the guidelines outlined by state.gov. Id be fine with that!
Sadly we need your help and the help of people who think like you to do it. The people who stopped it last time were House Republicans - they by and large have no fear of any Democrat due to gerrymandering so the only way to effectively pressure them is through threatening them with a primary from a pro-immigration Republican.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

Well, I do think our migrant worker program can be improved as well. Even if it were easier to get a permit, it wouldn't snuff out competition for undocumented labor.

We also clearly need many more immigration judges. But Republicans profit from keeping the system broken so it's not happening.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Well, I do think our migrant worker program can be improved as well. Even if it were easier to get a permit, it wouldn't snuff out competition for undocumented labor.

We also clearly need many more immigration judges. But Republicans profit from keeping the system broken so it's not happening.
That's why the deal on the table was for more immigration enforcement in exchange for an easier visa pathway.

Undocumented labor is always going to be cheaper so there's an incentive for that but in a lot of cases today legal immigrant labor isn't even an option. It should be!

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Letting more people in legally (and efficiently) and better enforcement go hand in hand. If all those coming here with no ill intent can go thru a legal checkpoint then there is less demand for crossing elsewhere which makes enforcement more effective.

Last edited:
Reactions: ivwshane

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Sadly we need your help and the help of people who think like you to do it. The people who stopped it last time were House Republicans - they by and large have no fear of any Democrat due to gerrymandering so the only way to effectively pressure them is through threatening them with a primary from a pro-immigration Republican.

I havent heard of any Dems who would support enforcement of the state.gov requirements for S America. Not one. Much less Republicans.