BHO Iraq policy, 2 strikes and you're out?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: ayabe
Originally posted by: lupi
So, not only has he already decided that the Pentagon doesn't need or want any bases in Iraq, we have another statement that the great troop pullout of 2008 is a figment of the leftist loons imagination. With all these flip-flops it's getting hard to tell which side he's trying to pander to.

Yeah we don't want or need bases, in fact neither do the Iraqi's.

Pretty simple even for the dimmest bulbs.

Given past problems getting troop access or overflight permission when there has been a problem in that area, you know what the pentagon has decided?

Yep; pretty dim there.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: neodyn55
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: UberNeuman
I'm just wondering what the OP believes would have been the Hilary Clinton approach to handling Iraq.

what does Hillary have to do with this?

Well he was vehemently supporting her, and her policies are near-identical to Obama's. If he's suddenly found a distaste for Obama's positions, does it mean he doesn't like hers as well?

Or perhaps if you aren't a koolaid drinking partisan hack it would be impossible to match any one candidate on every issue.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: ayabe
So, not only has he already decided that the Pentagon doesn't need or want any bases in Iraq, we have another statement that the great troop pullout of 2008 is a figment of the leftist loons imagination. With all these flip-flops it's getting hard to tell which side he's trying to pander to.

Yeah we don't want or need bases, in fact neither do the Iraqi's.

Pretty simple even for the dimmest bulbs.

Given past problems getting troop access or overflight permission when there has been a problem in that area, you know what the pentagon has decided?

Yep; pretty dim there.

Yeah it is, considering the reason we were attacked on 9/11 is because we are not wanted in the region.

We don't need bases there, we have no right to bases there, end of story.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm just wondering what the OP believes would have been the Hilary Clinton approach to handling Iraq.

Well he was vehemently supporting her, and her policies are near-identical to Obama's. If he's suddenly found a distaste for Obama's positions, does it mean he doesn't like hers as well?

Or perhaps if you aren't a koolaid drinking partisan hack it would be impossible to match any one candidate on every issue.

What's your point? Hillary wasn't going to get the troops out any faster than Obama and McCain is 'in it to win it'. Go cry in your Hillary 08 coffee mug, hack. :roll:

Thanks for trollin.

Oh the friggin' irony... :laugh:

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Wow, way to parse, OP.

For everyone else, here's the video in its entirety:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/vid...ot.obama.iraq.trip.cnn

For those unable to click, here's more of this quote:

"I gave [Zebari] an assurance that should we be elected, an Obama administration will make sure that we continue with the progress that's been made in Iraq, that we won't act precipitously," said Obama.

"...but we will move to end US combat forces in Iraq in a manner that is as careful as we were careless getting in."

If by parsing you meant I copied the entire story as it was written on CNN, then yes. :roll:

By parsing, I mean that you didn't do your due dilligence in finding the entire quote.

By parsing, I also mean that you haven't since backtracked on your initial claims now that you know of the whole context.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Wow, way to parse, OP.

"I gave [Zebari] an assurance that should we be elected, an Obama administration will make sure that we continue with the progress that's been made in Iraq, that we won't act precipitously," said Obama.

"...but we will move to end US combat forces in Iraq in a manner that is as careful as we were careless getting in."

If by parsing you meant I copied the entire story as it was written on CNN, then yes. :roll:

Would you mind answering what you believe Hillary would have done concerning Iraq?

I am a Hillary supporter and I know exactly what she'd do:

Starting Phased Redeployment within Hillary's First Days in Office: The most important part of Hillary's plan is the first: to end our military engagement in Iraq's civil war and immediately start bringing our troops home. As president, one of Hillary's first official actions would be to convene the Joint Chiefs of Staff, her Secretary of Defense, and her National Security Council. She would direct them to draw up a clear, viable plan to bring our troops home starting with the first 60 days of her Administration. She would also direct the Department of Defense and the Department of Veterans Affairs to prepare a comprehensive plan to provide the highest quality health care and benefits to every service member -- including every member of the National Guard and Reserves -- and their families.

http://hillaryclinton.com/issues/iraq/

As a supporter, I think it's very relevant what she'd do.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Robor

What's your point? Hillary wasn't going to get the troops out any faster than Obama and McCain is 'in it to win it'. Go cry in your Hillary 08 coffee mug, hack. :roll:

I'm not expecting anyone to rapidly remove troops unless they desire to through the entire region into an era of chaos.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Wow, way to parse, OP.

By parsing, I mean that you didn't do your due dilligence in finding the entire quote.

By parsing, I also mean that you haven't since backtracked on your initial claims now that you know of the whole context.

Talk to CNN about what they quote. And the rest of the statement just enforces what I said of his koolaide drinkers still thinking the army will be packing up within moments of his oath.