BFG GTX 280 OC Edition not overclocked? Fan speed too high...

cg

Jan 3, 2001
I just purchased this card and it's supposed to be overclocked out of the box with core clock of 615 Mhz and shader clock of 1350 Mhz. When I load up GPU-Z, it shows the standard clock of 602 and 1296, does this happened with anyone else? Also, when I load a game, the fan speed is at 100% and very loud, but after I quit the game, the fan speed still spins at around 85% and too loud for normal desktop activities. I would have to restart my computer just to get the fan back to 40%. I am running Vista, is they a way to control the fan speed?

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I prefer Precision Tuner that you can get on EVGA.com.

See what temps you are running under load, and if make sure you have the latest drivers.

gramboh

Platinum Member
May 3, 2003
What drivers are you running? I have the same problem with fan speed. I leave it on auto (EVGA Precision app). On boot-up it's around 45% and near silent. During heavy gaming it will go 85-100% (Crysis @ Very High). When I come back to Windows the GPU core temp drops to 55c but the fan stays at 85. Very annoying, I figure it's a driver bug (177.79 beta).

Sind

Dec 7, 2005
One of the replacements I got was like this, it had a normal GTX 280 bios, vendor listed nVidia instead of BFG. On the bottom there is a a info sticker with bios info, most likely someone screwed up, like mine, and put the OC stickers/packaging for a vanilla 280. Return it/send it back. As for the fan speed the highest I have seen mine is at 67% I think, I haven't seen it break 80c yet under load, but I have 5 120mm system fans going as well. It does however take a while to ramp down if its up high, it's not instant, seems to take over 5mins at times before it will return to 40% despite if the core is at idle temp. If you want what you paid for, return it and get a proper one, I wouldn't even bother with an RMA if possible. If your bios is 62.00.0E.00.01 subvendor nVidia in gpuz (check sticker also) and it has OC all over the box and card, that is the wrong bios. It should be: 62.00.0E.00.0F and say subvendor BFG Tech in gpuz. Only way to control fan speed is with rivatuner that I know of. You will have to activate the ADT7473 plugin so it will read the duty cycle and RPM properly if you want to monitor thru rivatuner. Good luck!

cg

Jan 3, 2001
I'm using 177.79 Beta driver. Under GPUZ it does say bios is 62.00.0E.00.01 subvendor nVidia. Should I return and get a different one? How will I know if my new card has bios 62.00.0E.00.0F and say subvendor BFG Tech without installing the card? Or can I just update the bios? Thanks again.

Sind

Dec 7, 2005
On the bottom of the card there should be a sticker with barcode that has the bios info on it also below the bars. Without installing a new card that is really the only way to check that I know of. Check to see if yours even has one first, what it says and if it has that vanilla gtx 280 bios bring it back and show whoever you bought it from, exchange it and ask them to verify before you leave the shop the new card has the correct bios.

If you want to get what you paid for I wouldn't be flashing the bios imo, whoever you got it from is responsible to sell you the correct part.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: cg
Should I return and get a different one?

Please call BFG Tech support for your options:

1.866.BFGFIXX (1.866.234.3499)

It is a toll free number just for Californians.

J/K, anyone in the USA can call it toll free. Feel free to call it anytime (right now it is 1:30am for me and I should be able to reach a live body). Heck, you can even call it on major holidays.