BF3 single player really blurry indoors in Ultra settings on GTX 670?

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Hey all, i have'nt touched the SP in BF3 since release, and @ the time i had a Radeon 5870. When i upgraded to a GTX 670 MP played fine and i never touched the SP. But i just played it recently, and whenever i'm indoors (first level, where you're running around with the marines looking for Viper squad), all the indoor buildings are very very blurry. I think its supposed to be going for a dusty effect (that's how i remember it on my 5870), but its just blurry and very smoky looking. I have it on Ultra settings on my GTX 670, but does anyone know what's causing this? Thanks!

zaydq

Jul 8, 2012
Does your Nvidia control panel settings for Anti-Aliasing affect how it looks? It may be set on using anything but MSAA.

Feb 19, 2009
Ultra = pointless, because its applying 4x MSAA on selected portions of the image, then its throwing a huge layer of BLUR on top of it with terrible FXAA on high. You can't notice the HQ textures, the game looks crap.

Play with everything maxed but disable FXAA.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
well turning off MSAA solved the the indoors blurry/smoky problem. I don't notice any Aliasing with it off though, so i'm guessing FXAA is working well?

Is nvidia aware of this problem? Are any of you getting this problem with the latest drivers?

Last edited:

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
hmmm no, i noticed aliasing when im in outside situations. This totally sucks, i have a $400 GTX 670 and i can't enable AA???? Is Nvidia aware of this problem? And it happens in the most popular game out there to boot!! I never noticed this in MP, it only happens in SP. go figure!

EDIT: now that i've gone further into the SP campaign, it seems the 2nd level after the earthquake isn't effected (at night time with everything dark), things are the same with 4xAA on and off. But the first level indoors its just blurry and so smoky u can barely see anything infront of u.:(

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2009
You are not understanding..

if you set it to ULTRA, FXAA is applied by default. FXAA is the one causing the massive blurring.

The best setting is NO FXAA, 4x MSAA, but there are still a lot of aliasing because the game engine doesnt support proper MSAA.

WMD

Apr 13, 2011
From what you described, the first thing that came to my mind was what others such as Silverforce also suggest. Initially I strongly suspected the blurriness was caused by FXAA as Ultra setting will put it on high. But something else tells me it may not be FXAA causing the blurriness. What I don't understand is why only with the GTX 670 but not the 5870. Another odd thing that contradicts the FXAA theory is FXAA is applied everywhere but the problem you described only happens indoors. Try switching back to the 5870 to see if that is the problem.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
You are not understanding..

if you set it to ULTRA, FXAA is applied by default. FXAA is the one causing the massive blurring.

The best setting is NO FXAA, 4x MSAA, but there are still a lot of aliasing because the game engine doesnt support proper MSAA.

i set it to Custom not Ultra... there is no in game setting to turn off FXAA, & its already off in the Nvidia control panel. how do u turn off FXAA in BF3 then?

From what you described, the first thing that came to my mind was what others such as Silverforce also suggest. Initially I strongly suspected the blurriness was caused by FXAA as Ultra setting will put it on high. But something else tells me it may not be FXAA causing the blurriness. What I don't understand is why only with the GTX 670 but not the 5870. Another odd thing that contradicts the FXAA theory is FXAA is applied everywhere but the problem you described only happens indoors. Try switching back to the 5870 to see if that is the problem.

maybe its the newest drivers causing this issue? i don't know, but yes it only happens indoors in the daytime map at the beginning (the night time maps @ 2nd level i don't get the blurriness). once i turn off MSAA to off (in game) its clear as day.

Last edited:

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
well turning off MSAA solved the the indoors blurry/smoky problem. I don't notice any Aliasing with it off though, so i'm guessing FXAA is working well?

Is nvidia aware of this problem? Are any of you getting this problem with the latest drivers?

I would try on high with 4x msaa,idk if my 7850 has some setting that is hidden,but between high with 4x msaa,and ultra with no msaa,i have been very hard pressed to find the difference in quality period.

That is why your framerate just drops down the toilet,when you enable the two together,hell even my oced 7850 at 1150/1450 chokes on my temporary 17'' lcd that does 1280x1024 if i enable ultra with 4x msaa....

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
there is no in game setting to turn off FXAA, & its already off in the Nvidia control panel. how do u turn off FXAA in BF3 then?

There is an in-game setting for FXAA. It's called "Antialiasing Post".

rPN0Y.jpg

Turn it off, it sucks. It's notorious for making the image quality very muddy.

felang

Feb 17, 2007
Yeah Post AA sucks. I´ve been using an SMAA injector this past week and it seems quite good, performance hit isn´t to bad.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
How come the game doesn't support standard MSAA?

Why does it seem more and more games don't support standard MSAA?

Are many new graphical features not compatible with it? Seems like a problem too me.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
i tried turning off AA post & leaving on MSAA, but it did nothing. Its only when i turn off MSAA that the bluriness/muddiness goes away.:(

Feb 19, 2009
i tried turning off AA post & leaving on MSAA, but it did nothing. Its only when i turn off MSAA that the bluriness/muddiness goes away.:(

Then you have serious issues with your driver, forcing override on normal MSAA into some wacked variant.. you have to ask some NV users for help with this one.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
well in my nvidia CP i have all AA @ Application controlled, and FXAA off by default. im using the newest Nvidia drivers. Again, it only happens in the first level indoors (when ure first ambushed and hafta go indoors, then pursueing the sniper, etc).

The crazy part is that MP looks better WITHOUT any AA MSAA on.:( i should've just gotten the GTX 660ti, total waste on AA for the GTX 670 in my fav game since i'm opting to turn off AA completely.

Last edited: